SaltyCajun.com http://www.matrixshad.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #13  
Old 01-07-2014, 01:07 AM
I make oil's Avatar
I make oil I make oil is offline
Red Snapper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Berwick LA
Posts: 1,588
Cash: 3,863
Default

I know quite a few professional trainers. It's all they do. They compete in field trials the dogs they've trained to prove the quality of their training method. It's a difficult profession. Until your proven it's very difficult to keep enough dogs in your kennel to make a living. The more dogs the trainer has with titles the more attention they receive from people looking to have their dogs trained, the more than can charge. It's sort of a vicious cycle actually. The "best" trainers get to work with dogs from the "best" pedigrees and have the "best" opportunities to win titles. The people who can afford to purchase dogs from these pedigrees can also afford to have these dogs trained to whatever level they choose.

There are trainers who make 7 figure salaries out there and many more who do ok. It's a lot about what sort of a clientele you attract. Field testing can be a very expensive hobby for a dog owner. I personally enjoy watching a well trained dog work and take great pleasure in owning a dog with lots of ribbons. Due to my work, family, other interests and lack of training ability I can't train my dogs to this level. Not many people can. It requires working with the dog every single day. That is why I use a professional trainer.

But it's even more than just wanting a dog with lots of ribbons. I try to choose my dogs using the pedigree and all of the information available to me I can. Ultimately it's a crapshoot. You never know what the ability of a dog will be until they are trained. I love my dogs regardless of how many ribbons and titles they might have. But as an owner of a sporting dog I feel it is my responsibility to my dog to allow it to go as far in its abilities as it can. If I have a grand quality dog then I will support it all the way to the grand. If I have a dog that does not have the ability to be anything more than a family dog I'll love it the same. They are like my kids. I want to help them be as successful as they can possibly be. If your kid plays baseball and it's something they love you help them any way you can to be successful at the game. It's the same thing.
Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios
SaltyCajun.com logo provided by Bryce Risher

All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted
Geo Visitors Map