SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 04-06-2014, 05:13 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 792
Default remove stuck seat posts

Screwed up and left my seat posts in too long and now they have rusted in place. I have removed the whole seat mount from the deck, but still can't get the post out even tho I have soaked it in Liquid Wrench for several days. I can get the post to turn "by the hardest" with a monkey wrench, but it won't budge to come out of the mount. Even tried driving it out, but that was useless. Any tips would be appreciated.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:17 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,860

Put some heat on it.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:22 PM
Tripletail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluechip View Post
Put some heat on it.
The post or the mount? And doesn't the mount have a plastic sleeve or is it metal to metal?
Old 04-06-2014, 05:25 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,860

The mount right around the hole. I'm not sure if yours are plastic or not.

Mine are brass....

But I don't think it would take enough heat to melt the plastic anyway. Get it warm and give it a few hits and twist.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:27 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

usually i twist with a pipe wrench and spray penetrating oil....once it loose'ns a little tap a screw driver or chissel in the joint and twist and tap and spray till it comes out.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,414

I made that mistake once. I did what your doing and got it loose. After that it didn't fit right and squeaked. Leaked a black mess when I oiled it. I ended up replacing everything.
Old 04-06-2014, 07:32 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Clamp it in a vise, put a little "heat" to the outer sleeve.

Put a pipe wrench on it and put some pressure on the wrench handle.....then tap or hit on the post [on all different sides] to vibrate it. This should free it up to take it apart.

Heating it up will expand the outer sleeve enough to loosen it up and allow it to break free. If it has a plastic or nylon sleeve inside.....this may ruin it and require replacement.
Old 04-06-2014, 08:38 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

as saute86 said even after you get it free it wont be that great and will squeak or screech as you turn while you fish so its best to just toss it all and this time use a pinless mount.

what im talking about is this: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1. 77+seat+base&_nkw=1.77+seat+base&_sacat=0&_from=R4 0

whats nice about them is you wont have stuck, rusty, corroded, or bent pins to deal with or those plastic bushings to replace.

your 1.5" seat posts will fit inside the 1.77" posts like a sleeve without any play so what I did was get one post and I cut it in half then I cut the pins off of my 1.5" posts bolted my 1.5" post onto them to use as an adapter so I didn't need to redo the seat mounts.

not saying the best solution is to do what I did but I find it works great and I like it. its all aluminum so nothing to get rusty or corroded if you leave them in, and im a big guy so I bent a pin on many a post because the 3/4" pin design isn't made to handle much side force at all and can be bent way too easy IMHO just by stumbling against it.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:33 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
as saute86 said even after you get it free it wont be that great and will squeak or screech as you turn while you fish so its best to just toss it all and this time use a pinless mount.

what im talking about is this: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X1. 77+seat+base&_nkw=1.77+seat+base&_sacat=0&_from=R4 0

whats nice about them is you wont have stuck, rusty, corroded, or bent pins to deal with or those plastic bushings to replace.

your 1.5" seat posts will fit inside the 1.77" posts like a sleeve without any play so what I did was get one post and I cut it in half then I cut the pins off of my 1.5" posts bolted my 1.5" post onto them to use as an adapter so I didn't need to redo the seat mounts.

not saying the best solution is to do what I did but I find it works great and I like it. its all aluminum so nothing to get rusty or corroded if you leave them in, and im a big guy so I bent a pin on many a post because the 3/4" pin design isn't made to handle much side force at all and can be bent way too easy IMHO just by stumbling against it.
You got any pics of these set ups?
Old 04-07-2014, 07:49 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

Once you get it loose, I take a grinder to my post and just make them undersized where they wont get stuck in the hole. Never had a problem since.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:01 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
I am in the process of reworking, repainting, and adding non-skid deck coating so no I don't have picks but this is what I have fitted together as I described:

base: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPRINGFIELD-ROUND-ALUM-9-SEAT-BASE-USES-1-77-EXTENTION-/261199501010?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=i tem3cd0b416d2&vxp=mtr

post: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Attwood-Swivl-Eze-1-77-Snap-Lock-Boat-Seat-Post-13-Anodized-Alum-P-N-SP29130-/271417299261?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=i tem3f31bb513d&vxp=mtr

and one like my old posts that I cut off the pin slid inside the new posts and bolted it in place with a screw or nut and bolt: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SPRINGLIFT-SEAT-POST-11-FIXED-HIEGHT-1-5-DIAMETER-75-INCH-DIAMETER-END-/351040563987?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=i tem51bba5eb13&vxp=mtr

for mine I don't care about the locking part of the posts so I will just cut off the new post about 2" above where it sits in the base and attached it to the old posts at that point to simply use the 1.77 posts as an adapter to fit into the new bases.

I will get a picture for you of how they fit together since im working on the boat and not the seat mounts yet so gimme a minute to find a camera and charge the battery for it.

the 1.77 posts are just straight thru open like conduit so there is no bottom, its just a straight aluminum pipe that the 1.5" posts fit into snugly but slide in without needing to push on it, its like they were made to fit together. in fact the way they fit together you can put them together like an extension tube and drill some holes with a pin to put in so you can have a manual adjust the height feature to sit high, medium, or low depending on the person or water conditions. im not going to do that but you can see how its up to your imagination all the things this can let you do.

I found out by accident how these fit together when I decided to switch everything away from the pin posts and was very happy to see how much I could do with posts that fit together like that.

one last thing to point out is the sizes listed for the 1.77 posts are NOT including the part that fits into the base so unlike the pin posts they will be about 3" longer then it says because its giving you the actual height above deck.

Last edited by keakar; 04-07-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:07 AM
Ling

Cash: 505

I had the same problem once... liquid wrench and pipe wrench got it our for me... then I took sand paper and sanded down the shaft afterwards never got stuck again.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Touch

Spiral Out
Old 04-07-2014, 12:46 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Torch

Spiral Out
Old 04-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
here ya go:

Old 04-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Tripletail

thanks to all, the torch did it. Came right out.