SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:15 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266
Default Internet TV

I've started the slow fade from cable, and am wondering what you guys have done to eliminate it and still be able to watch sports and whatever else you may be attached to.

I don't watch TV much, so Netflix is covering the bases for now with ESPN 3 supplementing the sports. Local channels in HD are easy with an HD antenna.

What about ROKU or Apple TV? Do they provide anything outside of what Netflix has to offer? How are the payment plans for things like HBO?

Anything else?
Old 05-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

The Blaze.com.....
Old 05-28-2014, 08:55 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

I just dumped Cox cable but can't get LUS fiber. So i kept Cox internet and got a Hulu Plus account for $8 a month. Almost all the network shows play the next day. It's the best one for network shows. I researched them all. I just miss some of my cable channels i really liked, like History and Discovery channels.

I just bought a Roku on Monday but I'm gonna return it. Nothing on it I cant get from Hulu and the rest of the channels just suck.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:23 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,449

I just got the amazon fire box. If you are a Prime member it has pretty good stuff. You can get espn3, hulu, netflix, crackle and other good stuff on it. Its way faster than my internet tv. Sports is a whole different game though. espn3 barely has anything. I watch most sports at other peoples house or on my computer through bootleg sites. I do miss the fishing shows though
Old 05-29-2014, 02:59 PM
Swordfish

Hulu Plus is awesome, thanks for the tip.

Will have to look into the amazon box.

As for the blaze, I was stressed and ready to make an aluminum foul hat just reading the headlines!
Old 05-29-2014, 03:32 PM
Kyocera Dealer

Cash: 1,526

We just bought 2 Apple T/V boxes and I love it.
Old 05-29-2014, 04:50 PM
Swordfish

Think I'll be getting one or 2 for sure, I'm already tired of going through the PS4. Can you control volume and other Tv functions through the Amazon Fire or Apple remotes? Or, is there a way to consolidate remotes?
Old 06-01-2014, 07:50 PM
Swordfish

Got Apple TV today, combine this with the Hulu Plus and Netflix and I'm canceling cable tomorrow! I like the fact that I can wirelessly play my iPad and iPhones through the Apple TV.

Also bought an HDMI adaptor for my iPhone/iPad so I can play espn 3 and whatever else through my other TV that doesn't have the Apple TV box.

Espn 3 has all the sports I've been needing.

Less than $20 a month and I have so much more than when I had able or satellite, plus I can cancel at any time. Wish I would have done this a long time ago.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:36 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,857

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Got Apple TV today, combine this with the Hulu Plus and Netflix and I'm canceling cable tomorrow! I like the fact that I can wirelessly play my iPad and iPhones through the Apple TV.

Also bought an HDMI adaptor for my iPhone/iPad so I can play espn 3 and whatever else through my other TV that doesn't have the Apple TV box.

Less than $20 a month and I have so much more than when I had able or satellite, plus I can cancel at any time. Wish I would have done this a long time ago.
Where do you get the boxes or what you need to set this up?
Old 06-01-2014, 09:59 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post

How do you get ESPN3? I thought it was through your cable provider. Can you pay for it separately? I think once you cancel your cable then espn3 will go away.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:07 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
How do you get ESPN3? I thought it was through your cable provider. Can you pay for it separately? I think once you cancel your cable then espn3 will go away.

You can get it through your phone provider too, Verizon is who I'm with. Not sure if it will go away once I cancel Cox because I still have internet with them - either way, I have it.

The Apple TV box is all you need, just plug it in to your TV with an HDMI and make sure the Apple TV box has a wifi connection. It's $99 at best buy, one time fee. Then sign up to Netflix for like $8.00 a month, and Hulu Plus for about the same. There are others you can sign up for too like Redbox Instant for $8.00 a month. Most have a free trial, see if it's what you want and cancel at any time.

Throw an HD antenna up for local channels, or you can go to their website on your phone and stream them through the Apple TV box it you have a 4s or newer iphone, or a newer iPad.

Netflix and Hulu can be done through a Playstation 4, but not ESPN 3.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:41 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

I switch to the antenna on the roof and I get 28 channels and watch those a lot more then the 150 channels of dung the cable company had on, with them I watched like 6 channels and that's it.

as for sports, ya I will miss some but the saints are always on a regular channel and thre other teams, if there not on a regular channel so what, i'll go fishing instead of watching teams I don't care about. lsu is rarely on tv anyway even with cable so that's the only thing I will actually miss is the college football games on espn.

for the money I don't spend paying for tv I could buy tickets to the games I don't want to miss

now not having internet will be a big adjustment so im sure i'll have to get regular speed internet through the phone company or something like that in the $20 a month range, not the $45-$50 the cable guys want for high speed internet
Old 06-01-2014, 11:28 PM
Red Snapper

Also, after dropping my cable with Cox, I also dropped to the lowest speed internet to save more money. I can't even tell the difference honestly. Movies still stream just fine without buffering. I don't download large files constantly so it really isn't needed to pay more money for faster internet. I'm saving just shy of $100 a month now. I can do a lot with that for sure.