SaltyCajun.com https://www.facebook.com/CajunTackle

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:26 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishn4real View Post
I have been cutting, splitting, and burning wood my entire life, and I aint no spring chicken. How much is a "rick"? I hear it used all the time but as far as I have been abke to determine, a rick is however much Ricky wants it to be. The measure for firewood is "cord" " half cord", and "face cord". A cord of wood is stacked by volume 4 ft x8ft x 4ft. A face cord is stacked 4ft high x 8ft. A full size pickup truck stackec above the rAil to account for wheel wells is approximately a half cord. Well seasoned wood should have gone through one summer after being cut and split. I personally prefer a combination of oak and hickory, bt burn other woid as long as I dont have to pay for it. And I will not put pine, cedar, or hedge in my fire. Yall stay warm down there.

A Rick is the same as what you are calling a "face cord". A single row of wood 4 x 8.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:25 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,104

Neighbor across the road from my parents used to sell a chord to me for $60 live oak, seasoned. Got 2 chords for 110$ for my uncle. This is in St. Amant though so thats a fairly long drive to/from Lafayette.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:34 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Most places sell by the face cord. seen it from 140 to 200 delivered
. learn your wood before ordering there are some a holes that will throw cotton wood and other trash woods in the oak.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:49 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

Thanks for all of the information Gents.
I went to the place on Pinhook by Southpark today on my lunch break and placed an order for a "rick" (or what the man told me was a rick).

I am not sure if I am going to cancel the order or not. He said it would be ready tomorrow around noon but I am thinking his prices were a little steep.

He is saling a cord, 8' X 4' X 1 log deep, for $240 and a rick, 4' X 4' X 1 log deep for $120. He says that the wood is oak and is seasoned and ready to burn. The tree was cut down a year ago but he is splitting the logs as the orders come in.

By reading the replies to this thread that price seems REALLY high. I may go get a price from the place on the Thruway in the morning before I pick up the order.

Thoughts???
Old 11-13-2014, 06:50 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

bring your truck to deridder and i'll load it up til the wheels wont turn. free oak
Old 11-13-2014, 07:08 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako19 View Post
Thanks for all of the information Gents.
I went to the place on Pinhook by Southpark today on my lunch break and placed an order for a "rick" (or what the man told me was a rick).

I am not sure if I am going to cancel the order or not. He said it would be ready tomorrow around noon but I am thinking his prices were a little steep.

He is saling a cord, 8' X 4' X 1 log deep, for $240 and a rick, 4' X 4' X 1 log deep for $120. He says that the wood is oak and is seasoned and ready to burn. The tree was cut down a year ago but he is splitting the logs as the orders come in.

By reading the replies to this thread that price seems REALLY high. I may go get a price from the place on the Thruway in the morning before I pick up the order.

Thoughts???

Very High. He is calling a cord what is actually a rick.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:40 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 494

WOW.. that's reduculous high. And if he is just now splittung..it aint seasoned. ont know how far you are from deridder, but you cant beat "free".
Old 12-03-2014, 01:46 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

theres a RR tie lumber yard off 49 near AJAX and they will sell you a truck load of ends for 10$ the ends are about 12x12 and range in length from 12" to 26"

you gotta loadem your self and then they need splitting, they have new piles and "seasoned" piles, all hard woods......theyre RR ties remember

oh yaeah and they are pre creosote
Old 12-03-2014, 10:55 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

A cord is 128 cubic, a rick is 64 and a face cord is 42.6. If their measurements LxWxH don't equal any of those then you are getting taken...it's not a log count, not a standard stack height and length, it's volume. You can have a Rick that is 1' high, 2' wide and 32' long.

Some sellers have no clue... Some know that buyers have no clue. I sent a guy back with the wood he delivered me 2 weeks ago because it didn't meet the cubic feet.

A RICK HAS TO BE 2'x4'x8', if the stack is 4' tall and 8' long with 16" logs then you don't have a rick
Old 12-04-2014, 07:19 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
A cord is 128 cubic, a rick is 64 and a face cord is 42.6. If their measurements LxWxH don't equal any of those then you are getting taken...it's not a log count, not a standard stack height and length, it's volume. You can have a Rick that is 1' high, 2' wide and 32' long.

Some sellers have no clue... Some know that buyers have no clue. I sent a guy back with the wood he delivered me 2 weeks ago because it didn't meet the cubic feet.

A RICK HAS TO BE 2'x4'x8', if the stack is 4' tall and 8' long with 16" logs then you don't have a rick

correct

8'x4'x4' is a cord = a lot of wood!

1/3 of that is a face cord or rick which would be 8'x4'x16" (16" the typical fire log legnth) this is what most people around here call a cord and barely fits in the back of a full size truck.