SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 01-16-2015, 06:45 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,468
Default Scott police dept.

Ok, so got in a small fender bender the other day when I accidentally backed into a small car that was behind me. The car was not visible in any of my mirrors. Tough break, but I happens. We decide to handle matters on our own, but not before some guy passing buy calls the police. I can't stand when people cant stay out of other people's business. Anyway, we explain this to the office and he assures us that he will not be issuing any citations. Of course, he then hands me his ticket book and now I have a nice fine to pay on top of everything else. Second time I have had a police officer lie to me, but this is beside the point. My issue is that with the ticket he hands me a card with instructions on how to pay the fine, but it also states that the Scott police dept does not participate in any program that offers a way to keep the citation off of your record. I don't remember what it is called but you usually qualify as long as your record is clean and you don't get any other citations within a certain period of time. I thought they all participated in this. Have you guys delt with the Scott police? All I am looking for is to maintain a clean record for insurance purposes. I have never heard of a dept not willing to help out a driver with a good driving record. I know I should still call them and ask about this, but I don't want to get the run around.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:29 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Cops are *****s, and it's not against the law for them to lie to you to get what they want.

I'll have a camera rolling during all cop interactions. I hope there are none though...

Sent
Old 01-16-2015, 07:39 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Call The D.A. he is the one that will have to handle it if you take it to court.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:58 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Article 894. Call the DAs office and ask. To be honest, your better off just not worrying about it. Your insurance won't go up automatically because you got in an accident. Especially if no claim is made. My agent said they don't run records unless a claim is made or a change is made to the policy. I have not seen a change in my premium after my fender bender.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=112888
Old 01-16-2015, 08:19 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
Cops are *****s, and it's not against the law for them to lie to you to get what they want.

I'll have a camera rolling during all cop interactions. I hope there are none though...

Sent
I know quite a few cops and they are all stand up guys. To throw all in one category is not fair.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Old 01-16-2015, 08:26 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmerc View Post
I know quite a few cops and they are all stand up guys. To throw all in one category is not fair.

So you follow them candidly, day to day while on the job and can say they are never or have never been a ***** to anyone?

Sent
Old 01-16-2015, 08:38 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734

Quote:

Sent
I record EVERY encounter I have with the police, and with my ex and restraining order I have against her. I have had my encounters with po po and they do not favor the male, even when I've got video. The video i used to get the restraining order against my ex the cops actually said " I can't see where she attacked you" and gave me that look, when it was plain as day. Well the judge saw this video and granted a 6 month order

Ive actually had a few ask me why I record everything, and my standard response is "the same reason you do, to protect myself from EVERYONE"

I don't trust them......... Thus I record them.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:20 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

Quote:
So you follow them candidly, day to day while on the job and can say they are never or have never been a ***** to anyone?

Sent
Yup

Old 01-16-2015, 10:30 PM
Email Address Not Verified

Cash: 111

This dude Goooh has an opinion like the rest of us........We all have one (.)
Old 01-17-2015, 07:08 AM
Redfish

Cash: 778

Basically, I would not use and Art. 894 for a traffic ticket. Depending on where in Scott the ticket was written, you may have to go to Scott City Court, which is held once a month, or 15th JDC court in Lafayette. The bottom line is that it may be possible to have the charges reduced to a non-moving violation if you can show that the property damage was paid for, or that the other car was not damaged. A letter from your insurance company or a letter from the other driver (he can hand write) and include a copy of his DL, or even there may be a Scott court form that the other driver can fill out stating that damages were paid for and that he could care less if you get a ticket because all is well.
Old 01-17-2015, 07:17 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 629

Scott may have a City Court, which would have a City Prosecutor, instead of turning it into the D.A. in Lafayette Parish. If this is the case, they may not turn the incident into Baton Rouge, which in turns allows it to go on your record. Any way request an Art. 894, which means you pay Court Cost and it does not go on your record.
Old 01-17-2015, 10:55 AM
Redfish

Cash: 893

i got a traffic ticket a few years ago in scott and i went to city hall and paid it very soon after accident. (i'm thinking it was like a week later once i called and got amount.) anyway it didn't go on my record. My advice would go to city hall and speak with someone there.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:46 PM
Red Snapper

Thanks for the replies. I am at the point to where I think I am just going to suck it up and pay the dang thing. I ended up putting it on my insurance because the price to replace the bumper was over a grand. I just don't have the time to deal with it. I am headed back offshore in the morning and probably won't be back by the weekend. Then it's back to all of the other crap that keeps me running around when I am in. It can't be too bad to just pay it?
Old 01-20-2015, 09:20 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by evidrine View Post
Thanks for the replies. I am at the point to where I think I am just going to suck it up and pay the dang thing. I ended up putting it on my insurance because the price to replace the bumper was over a grand. I just don't have the time to deal with it. I am headed back offshore in the morning and probably won't be back by the weekend. Then it's back to all of the other crap that keeps me running around when I am in. It can't be too bad to just pay it?
The claim will likely gather more attention with your insurance company than a citation. Gotta love paying for something you pray you never have to use(insurance)!
Old 01-20-2015, 10:09 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by evidrine View Post

Was the ticket on a public road or in a parking lot?
Old 01-20-2015, 10:31 AM
Red Snapper

It was on a public street in a subdivision. I talked to my agent and he said that my rates shouldn't go up over something this minor. I'm not sure how the ticket will effect this though.