SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-28-2015, 09:54 AM
Redfish

Cash: 581
Default East Timbalier Island

I'm thinking about scouting and fishing East Timbalier Island (between Cocodrie and Fourchon). I know there's a bunch of submerged rocks, pilings, etc. Looking for any advice about where to go and where to no go, so as to not lose a prop or fiberglass. And if parts of the island are better for holding fish than others or if there are tide considerations, any advice is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:58 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,295

Try the rigs just north of east Tim. Also try the south point of the east side of the island. They have three of four pilings there and i have caught plenty of fish between the pilings and the point. I always run around the west side of the island when I head out and I give plenty of distance from the island. I know there is a channel on the east side of the island but I'm just not familiar with it.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:28 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

the rocks are as much as 1/2 a mile off the current beach south and SE of the island
Old 07-28-2015, 03:27 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

It really is kind of nerve racking running there. I have a route marked on my GPS but the first time I went out there I followed someone else at low tide and cruised REAL slow until I was familiar with the hazards I could see. Even so I am always extremely cautious when running in that area due to the amount of submerged hazards. It's like an obstacle course and very dangerous. Please be careful if you are going out there. Especially the first time. The best thing is to follow someone else who knows the area.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:42 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 5,366

my best advice is take it slow and watch for any minor change of the water movement . most of these rock piles are inches below the water . also some of the beaches are all rock beds so be careful when nosing up to the beach thinking its a sand bottom , there are multiple places that there are rocks . every time i go out i find new piles and i mark them on my gps , but i always "run" the same line as befor then turn north at varying points to aproach the islands . like meaux said so of those pile are 1/2+ mile off the beach so when you think you in the clear ...putt putt a little longer to make sure . if you can navigate the back way through the bay there are less rocks but more very shallow sand bars that yo can run up on .