SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:45 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,439
Default Conceal and carry gun

Looking to get my conceal and carry not sure which gun would be the best fit. Tell me what y'all think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

NO one can tell you what is best for you. Go to a range that has weapons that you can hold , shoot and see how they fit. That will give you a good start on what you may want to buy. Alot depends on how you plan on concealing too. Pocket , belt or ankle?
Old 12-09-2015, 08:05 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 909

Best is personal preference.

I carry a M&P9C most often, but I do carry a S&W3914 or M&P9PRO on a regular basis.

I carry all on my right hip.

The most popular guns in no particular order for concealed carry right now are the M&P Shield, Glock 42/43, LC9s, P938/P238 and the Springfield XDS. I personally prefer something with a little more capacity. The Glock 26, Glock 19, Sig 320 compact/carry, M&P compacts are all popular.

Best advice, find something that fits you.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:25 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Good info by everyone. I do disagree with ankle carry though. Don't want a boot to the face while trying to get your weapon. Stong side carry is the best no matter your weapon choice. Stiff arm and keep your weapon as far away from the bad guy as possible.
I carry a mix of a G23 40cal, XD Tactical 45 and Gov mod 1911. Glocks and XD's are great guns and easy to shoot. I love both of mine. My favorite is my 1911 but that is a carry weapon for experienced shooters. Please don't take that the wrong way and I'm not presuming to know your experience level. Just talking about what I know. The 1911 is heavy also. Especially after 8, 10, 12 hours. It's my winter gun.
Old 12-09-2015, 11:16 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

I carry a Ruger LCP .380. It is small and lightweight. It holds 6 in clip and 1 in chamber. It fits in my front pocket if I don't want to don a holster. I use a canvas cell-phone-like case on my right hip. I carry an extra clip in my pocket.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:10 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

I pocket carry a SigSauer p238 .380 about 90% of the time and a glock 43 9mm the rest. I love both guns but the p238 is a little smaller and easier to conceal. If I ever find an inside the waistband holster that I like, I'll start carrying the g43 a lot more. Like some have said, find what fits you best and go with it.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:13 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 4,521

I carry the glock 42 or 43 most of the time. I also carry a glock 26 and glock 19 at times but they are a little heavier and harder to conceal. I carry everything in a crossbreed appendix holster. After trying about 2 dozen different carry styles this is what is most comfortable for me. I agree with Duckman on the ankle carry unless you are using it to carry a back up gun. There are many options out there on both guns and holsters. Thak your time and find the best fit for you.
Old 12-10-2015, 06:29 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,439

Thanks for all the info guys. There is a gun show around town this weekend I think I'll go and put my hand on a few guns to fill out what fits me best.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:15 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackhead62 View Post
Thanks for all the info guys. There is a gun show around town this weekend I think I'll go and put my hand on a few guns to fill out what fits me best.

Pass by Lafayette Shooters. They carry a pretty big variety of hand guns and have always been very helpful to me.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:39 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

A carry piece will spend much more time in the holster than in your hand. I was comfortable dressing around a Sig P229 in a belt holster, but that is too big and heavy for many. Glocks are lighter and tend not to require such a sturdy belt not to pull your pants down, but I hate the trigger and recoil on Glocks, so I went with the bigger, heavier Sig.

There are many dimensions to the tradeoffs on a carry piece. The more you consider prior to your purchase, the fewer iterations it will take before you are carrying comfortably every day.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:45 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

The only way to go man....... Just make sure you wear the shemagh too. Otherwise you'll just look stupid.

Seriously though, spend the $8 or whatever it is to get into the gun show and go finger bang every pistol they have until you narrow down a few that you feel fit your hand great. After that, hit the ranges and shoot those to see which you prefer.

And 2 hints on conceal carrying: 1) The secret to comfortable carrying is a great belt and a great holster. 2) 95% of the people won't notice that little bump you're stressing over in the mirror.
Old 12-10-2015, 12:58 PM
Redfish

Cash: 978

I carry this. I keep it below my stomach so no one will notice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sw_500.jpg (66.1 KB, 277 views)
Old 12-10-2015, 01:58 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 713

I carry a S&W M&P 40 full size. Have carried that piece since they came out years ago. Before this one, I carried a Ruger P94 full size. The S&W holds 15 in the mag and 1 in the pipe. I use Alien Gear IWB holsters at the 4 O'clock position. When working Security, I also carry a double mag holder with 2 mags holding 15 rounds each, 1 with 15 FMJ's and 1 with 15 Hollow Points. I have CC'ed for over 15 years now, I Thank God I have never had to use it. I also keep CC insurance with CCWSafe. I pay $129.00 per year for insurance to provide my attorneys and up to $1 million bail. If you're gonna carry a gun, you had better carry insurance. It will cost you about $250,000 to defend yourself for a good shooting. And before the noise starts, yea I know of guys that shot and walked without lawyers. I just don't want to take that chance.
For the first 6 months, you think everyone is looking at your carry gun, they're not. 99.9% of the public are sheep, just plodding along defenseless. Stop and make up your mind NOW on which situations you would shoot someone. Then talk with someone KNOWLEDGABLE about CCW and Louisiana Law. READ, READ, READ, all the factual material you can find on shooting situations. And most important to remember, nothing takes the place of muscle memory, absolutely nothing. My M&P is about 6 or 8 years old now, it has had over 10,000 rounds through it. NOTHING takes the place of muscle memory. Practice clearing a jammed gun, practice switching magazines on the fly, PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. Practice shooting from different positions, seated, laying on the floor, standing, kneeling, running. You want to make sure your rounds will not kill some innocent 3 year old child.
D
Old 12-10-2015, 02:39 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978

S&W M&P compact in .357 Sig here. My wife carries a S&W 442 J frame airweight in .38+P....I convinced her to put the S&W 640 in .357M in the nightstand after I had to hold her purse a few times. I had to switch arms frequently to keep the muscle mass symmetrical in my forearms!
Old 01-27-2016, 04:41 PM
Sailfish

Just order the crossbreed super tuck about a week ago. As soon as I get it I will write up a review for everyone.