SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-15-2017, 05:58 AM
Flounder

Cash: 708
Default Leader on braid?

Thanks for the responses on choice of braids. A related question: how many of you tie fluoro or mono on the end of braid versus straight braid?
Old 05-15-2017, 06:56 AM
Flounder

Cash: 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsudawg View Post
Thanks for the responses on choice of braids. A related question: how many of you tie fluoro or mono on the end of braid versus straight braid?

I use leaders quite often , if the fish are spooky I'll tie a leader usually helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2017, 08:17 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

If the water is the least bit clear i use a floro leader. had it proven to me that trout can see the braid in clear water.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:14 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

The flouro will also give a little bit of a shock absorber and also keeps your line from catching on your hooks and getting tangled as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-15-2017, 09:49 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,020

There are lots of reasons to use a leader for sure. And there are times when I use mono and times I use Fluoro. I use a 20-25 mono leader when there is only marsh grass, widgeon grass, or sea grass flats. I use a 100% fluorocarbon leader material leader when I'm fishing around oyster reefs, rocks, or pilings with with barnacles. The 100% fluoro leader material is what you want in those conditions. Don't confuse Fluoro carbon line material or Fluro coated line with 100% Fluoro leader material. There is a huge difference in abrasion resistance and toughness. The Fluoro line material is made for clear deep water impoundments where there are no abrasive objects in the water column. Its great for that. What we have most of the time fishing for trout, reds, and flounder is much different and many more objects with barnacles and oysters that can cut that leader if it's around. But if you're just fishing in the marsh and there is no oyster, then mono is fine.

Some talk about using mono for topwaters because it floats while fluoro sinks, and while that is technically true.. it's sooo small a difference that it really doesn't matter and i use both from time to time with all different lures. I've never really noticed a difference in working either lure with either leader material. I have noticed a difference in toughness though. I will say this, if you are using mono for a leader matieral, check it more often for knicks and fraying and retie it more often to reduce lost fish due to abrasions.

Mono is more shock absorbing than the fluoro, but at that legnth is really is a non issue. Using a leader will drastically reduce the braid getting into hooks and split rings like Aubrey mentions above.
Old 05-15-2017, 11:02 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

I hardly ever tie a hook or lure directly to braid (except jug lining for catfish in fresh water).

That said, I also hardly ever tie the leader directly to the braid. I use tie a snap swivel to the braid and a leader to a swivel to connect the leader to the braid main line. This enables quick changing of leader thickness for conditions and target.

I used to be religious about fluorocarbon leaders for reduced visibility, but that was after years of fishing gin clear waters in Colorado and the midwest. In Louisiana, any mono is fine for the leader, and using fluorocarbon is just spending money unnecessarily.

This approach also allows switching to steel leaders quickly in muddy or sharky conditions.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:35 AM
Redfish

Cash: 658

I use 14# Fireline with a 15# flouro leader, double uni knot to connect them.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:09 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,109

All my saltwater setups are 30lb power pro slick 8 to rod length of 20lb trilene big game mono. Connect them with a reverse Albright knot. I mainly use the mono as a shock leader because when throwing large baits like super spooks and corkeys far as you can a backlash will cause the lure to break off and them things aint cheap. It also helps if a big fish makes a hard run. The bad thing about fluro is it doesn't make as slim a knot as mono does and doesn't go through the rods eyes as well in my experience. Fluro also sinks and will drag the head of a topwater down not allowing it to walk as easy. If I fished in super clear water a lot I would probably use fluro more and this way my setups can be more versatile and I don't have to carry but 2 or 3 rods.
Old 05-17-2017, 09:50 AM
Flounder

Cash: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
If the water is the least bit clear i use a floro leader. had it proven to me that trout can see the braid in clear water.
same. though i prefer braid whenever possible.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:02 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Alberto / Double uni

Idk about trout fishing, but I always tie a fluoro leader on my spinning set ups. I'll make a leader just short enough not to get reeled up. The knot really doesn't get damaged going through the rod eyes, but you'll run into problems if the knot can get in your spool. I've went as heavy as 30# braid to 15# fluoro on spinning rigs. More times than not it's 20# braid - 10# fluoro though.

I also tie a mono leader to braid when throwing spooks or poppers on a baitcaster. Usually 30# braid to 15# mono. Same knot. A fluoro leader will sink and mess with your topwaters action.

I'll throw big swimbaits on 65#braid with 20-25# fluoro leader. However, on these I try to tie a shorter leader. With thicker line your knot will be thicker, and throwing a 3oz+ bait will get that knot beat up a lot more going through the rod eyes. And losing a $50+ bait hurts a lot more than losing a drop shot.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:42 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutSupport.com View Post
There are lots of reasons to use a leader for sure. And there are times when I use mono and times I use Fluoro. I use a 20-25 mono leader when there is only marsh grass, widgeon grass, or sea grass flats. I use a 100% fluorocarbon leader material leader when I'm fishing around oyster reefs, rocks, or pilings with with barnacles. The 100% fluoro leader material is what you want in those conditions. Don't confuse Fluoro carbon line material or Fluro coated line with 100% Fluoro leader material. There is a huge difference in abrasion resistance and toughness. The Fluoro line material is made for clear deep water impoundments where there are no abrasive objects in the water column. Its great for that. What we have most of the time fishing for trout, reds, and flounder is much different and many more objects with barnacles and oysters that can cut that leader if it's around. But if you're just fishing in the marsh and there is no oyster, then mono is fine.

Some talk about using mono for topwaters because it floats while fluoro sinks, and while that is technically true.. it's sooo small a difference that it really doesn't matter and i use both from time to time with all different lures. I've never really noticed a difference in working either lure with either leader material. I have noticed a difference in toughness though. I will say this, if you are using mono for a leader matieral, check it more often for knicks and fraying and retie it more often to reduce lost fish due to abrasions.

Mono is more shock absorbing than the fluoro, but at that legnth is really is a non issue. Using a leader will drastically reduce the braid getting into hooks and split rings like Aubrey mentions above.
i agree with everything said except for when it comes to topwater. If you use too long of a flourocarbon leader for a topwater,
it will sink your bait. I've sunk a super spook before with 12lb flouro,
but it was straight flourocarbon.
Old 05-17-2017, 12:43 PM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
Alberto / Double uni

Idk about trout fishing, but I always tie a fluoro leader on my spinning set ups. I'll make a leader just short enough not to get reeled up. The knot really doesn't get damaged going through the rod eyes, but you'll run into problems if the knot can get in your spool. I've went as heavy as 30# braid to 15# fluoro on spinning rigs. More times than not it's 20# braid - 10# fluoro though.

I also tie a mono leader to braid when throwing spooks or poppers on a baitcaster. Usually 30# braid to 15# mono. Same knot. A fluoro leader will sink and mess with your topwaters action.

I'll throw big swimbaits on 65#braid with 20-25# fluoro leader. However, on these I try to tie a shorter leader. With thicker line your knot will be thicker, and throwing a 3oz+ bait will get that knot beat up a lot more going through the rod eyes. And losing a $50+ bait hurts a lot more than losing a drop shot.

what kind of knot do you tie? I typically don't use leaders or braid for that matter. I enjoy the stretchiness lol
Old 05-17-2017, 01:16 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
what kind of knot do you tie? I typically don't use leaders or braid for that matter. I enjoy the stretchiness lol
Alberto knot. I think the double uni is the same knot or very similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXjagwdjAhg
Old 05-17-2017, 03:31 PM
Flounder

Cash: 568

braid to mono leader with the fg knot, ▶ 5:38https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjzUb5QRKuk

then a loop knot to your bait for best action
Old 05-17-2017, 06:00 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

How long are y'all making your leaders?
Old 05-18-2017, 03:40 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
Mine start at 36-48" and get shorter with reties.
Old 05-18-2017, 07:58 AM
Redfish

Cash: 658
Default leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
I like 6', that's long enough to retie a few times over the course of the day.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:41 AM
Flounder

Cash: 372

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
Alberto knot. I think the double uni is the same knot or very similar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXjagwdjAhg
I also use the alberto knot and have caught plenty of big fish and the knot hasn't failed me yet, it's also small enough to fit through my rods micro guides. Make sure you practice it a few times though!
Old 06-14-2017, 10:11 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,020

I use a 5' + Fluoro leader on braid main line and it's never sunk any topwater ... the difference in specific gravity is not big enough to do that. Something else must have been sinking your top. I even use 20 to 25 lb Flouro and if that was the case my leader would be 2x as heavy as 12 lb. Also, what was your main line? I've never had a problem with mono or braid main lines with Fluoro leader... just not the case. I've fished it like that for years and years and years ... must have been some other factor. That said, the only time you really need a fluoro leader is around heavy oyster, barnacles, or rocks. Other wise 20lb mono will do the job just fine.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:36 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,449

learn the Alberto knot, its super slim and has held up well for me even when flipping for bass