SaltyCajun.com http://cajunrodandreelrepair.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
  #3  
Old 07-01-2017, 05:49 AM
Gerald Gerald is offline
Sailfish
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lake Charles / Moss Bluff
Posts: 4,648
Cash: 4,282
Default

I grew up in Baton and was 10 years old. I remember Audrey as my first hurricane.


If I remember correctly.... after the storm hit SW Louisiana, it turned to the NE and passed south of Alexandria, La. Winds in Baton Rouge were about 60 mph.


I spent the morning and afternoon going from the front of the house to the back to look out the windows and see what trees or limbs had fallen. During the afternoon, a very large [3 foot diameter] oak tree fell across the street out front. Just before getting dark, we heard a car skidding to a stop just short of hitting the tree.


Dad and I went out to see what had happened. We then started to pile up branches to form a barrier to alert drivers before hitting the tree. I think the tree was cut up the next day.


We lost several other trees that day, but no damage to the house.


Weather reporting back 60 years ago was very limited and a lot of homes did not even have TV.
Reply With Quote
 

Bookmarks


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:13 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios
SaltyCajun.com logo provided by Bryce Risher

All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted
Geo Visitors Map