Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 09-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Just drop the whole thing in or do you have to take it apart?
Most of the time you can just pull the bowls off and soak the bowls and top halves. Get some torch tip cleaners for the jets.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:11 PM
Entering A World of Pain

Cash: 9,569

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Just drop the whole thing in or do you have to take it apart?
don't put gaskets in the dip!! Eats them up! all plastic and rubber!
The cops are the experts on the current criminal trends. If they have determined that a “high capacity” semiautomatic pistol and a .223 semiautomatic rifle with 30-round magazines are the best firearms for them to use to protect people like me and my family, they are obviously the best things for us to use to protect ourselves and our families .
Old 09-23-2010, 07:15 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

I just pulled the bowls and used carb cleaner last time. No gasket worries that way. Use the hard attachment to spray the jets.
Also, use safety glasses cuz carb cleaner burns like fire!!!! Happened to me twice! Guess I'm a slow learner! Lmao!
Old 09-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Take the gaskets off and drop them in the cradle and into bucket. Chemdip was not very harsh,second the spray cleaner Corey. That **** will de-fat your skin fast.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:09 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

here is a question no one asked, I had the same problem today! my carbs are clean, I just didn't have any air going in to the gas tank, I could idle but as soon as I would gas it, it would die, I opened the top to the tank and then put it back on without tightening and my motor ran fine after that.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Gas tank story......

I was cleaning the back of the boat a few years ago. Before removing the gas tank, I closed the vent to keep from spilling any gas. You guessed it......I forgot to open the vent when I put the tank back in the boat.

I went on a short fishing trip and only burned a couple of gallons [6 gallon tank]. When I stopped at a gas station to top it off, the tank looked like a prune....it had caved in. I don't remember if I put any gas in the tank or not. When I took the cap off the tank, it stayed all caved in.

When I got home I put the tank out in the sun with the cap on. When I checking a couple hours later, it was back to normal shape.

My outboard engine had run fine that day.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:37 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 650

Ethanol is alcohol, so it will clean parts and your fuel lines from any varnish acumulated over time in your lines and any thing else along the way. I am dealing with the same thing right now!!
Old 09-26-2010, 09:04 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish Hunter View Post
Ethanol is alcohol, so it will clean parts and your fuel lines from any varnish acumulated over time in your lines and any thing else along the way. I am dealing with the same thing right now!!

mix 2cycle oil with that ethanol enhanced gas and it won't clean crap! I haven't heard one outboard mechanic ever say anything good about ethanol other than they're making a crap load of money from repairs due to people buying gas with it!
Old 09-26-2010, 10:09 PM
Flounder

Cash: 641

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPfishnTIM View Post
mix 2cycle oil with that ethanol enhanced gas and it won't clean crap! I haven't heard one outboard mechanic ever say anything good about ethanol other than they're making a crap load of money from repairs due to people buying gas with it!
i agree!!! i just got some new plugs and should be geting the new wires this week. ima also clean the carbs since i have someone to help that did it befor
Old 10-02-2010, 04:41 PM
Flounder

ok guys now im lost. i took the carb off and cleaned it and put new plug wire and plugs in and got a new gas line and it still dont wanna run good. it will idle till the gas tanks empty but when u give it gas it wants to kill every few time. any ideas??
Old 10-02-2010, 06:42 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

Power pack
Old 10-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Adjust your idle...happened to me in hopedale once
Old 10-03-2010, 05:49 AM
Flounder

is their a way to test the power pack or somewhere that does
Old 10-03-2010, 01:00 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

have you done a compression check and a spark check yet?....compression,spark and fuel are the 3 things needed for a motor to run....always run these 3 checks before you start tearing into a motor and shooting from the hip.....it will save you alot of time and money. you can buy both compression checker and spark tester at autozone for around $30

do a spark check to test your power pack/electrical system....set the spark tester to 7/16 gap..if you dont get a strong blue spark at 7/16 gap..you got an electrical problem....and then you can go from there......also try to warm your motor up before doing the spark check..sometimes a short in the electric system won't show itself until the pack /wires are warm.

compression check....should be over 100..and each cylinder should be within 10% of each...again...best readings are done when motor is warm....

fuel...check/change your diaphragm in the fuel pump....cheap to do....you can also check this by when your motor starts to run bad or want to die...pump the bulb...if the motor starts to come back to life change your diaphragm ....good luck

Last edited by Hebert; 10-03-2010 at 01:18 PM.