SaltyCajun.com lake Area Marine

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-26-2011, 04:26 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron man View Post
This is exactly what I need to do. I'm cutting the grass around her kennel shorter than I normally would and I need to spray grass killer around the slab and then treat her area with some type of FLEA BE GONE stuff.

Go to feed store and get somthin to spray, they have strong stuff thats keeps ticks, fleas, ants and many more things away I had HI-YIELD 32 and its some bad stuff
Old 06-26-2011, 08:25 AM
Redfish

Cash: 678

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunSaint View Post
The vet has some pills we give ours that work GREAT!!
When the flea bites the dog it dies.(the flea dies not the dog)
I'll find out the name and let you guys know.
Don't know if this is the same pill, but my dogs are on a pill called Comfortis. It kills the fleas when they bite. They told me at my vet's office that fleas are EXCEPTIONALLY bad this year. Has to do with the lack of normal rainfall. I'm also spraying my yard with a poison with 38% permethrin, Hi Yield 38 I think is the name of it. Apparently I'm not spraying often enough, because they go away but come back. Guess I'll have to spray once a week. I've never seen fleas this bad before.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Critter View Post
Don't know if this is the same pill, but my dogs are on a pill called Comfortis. It kills the fleas when they bite. They told me at my vet's office that fleas are EXCEPTIONALLY bad this year. Has to do with the lack of normal rainfall. I'm also spraying my yard with a poison with 38% permethrin, Hi Yield 38 I think is the name of it. Apparently I'm not spraying often enough, because they go away but come back. Guess I'll have to spray once a week. I've never seen fleas this bad before.
got to spray once a week to kill new hatch of eggs, you can also get somthin that makes eggs sterile when laid that mixes in with the hi-yield and it helps.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:35 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,391

We used to sprinkle garlic powder in our dogs food. Never had any fleas. Guess they don"t like the smell. Also, if you know an exterminator or someone that can " hook you up", ask him for some Dursban. It's an insecticide that is not available unless you are licensed and bugs hate it. We spray our deerstands with it inside and out throughout the year and no spiders, wasp, nothing.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,468

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Devil View Post
We used to sprinkle garlic powder in our dogs food. Never had any fleas. Guess they don"t like the smell. Also, if you know an exterminator or someone that can " hook you up", ask him for some Dursban. It's an insecticide that is not available unless you are licensed and bugs hate it. We spray our deerstands with it inside and out throughout the year and no spiders, wasp, nothing.
Heard a lot about the garlic thing also. I started putting garlic pills in my dogs food but they would just pick them out. Never thougt to use garlic powder though.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Redfish

Cash: 663

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Critter View Post
You are spraying enough to kill the fleas that are there. What's not happening for you is your neighbors aren't spraying at all more than likely. Fleas have been recorded to jump up to 60 feet in a single jump just imagine what they can accomplish in a whole day.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Hey muttmechanic, I put some frontline on my gfs dog about a week ago and he is still scratching. Is it not working or can it cause a skin irritation? What should I do so he stops scratching?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:47 AM
Redfish

Do you see any fleas on him? If so then they are starting to notice a resistance to the active ingredient in frontline in some areas. I've had bad luck with the topical drugs so I've stopped using them completely. I was using a topical drug called vectra which you can only get at a vet and they wouldnt die even with that. So now I switched to the oral medications because there is no resistance that we have seen and there is less of a chance of user error. The only bad thing is that there aren't any oral medications that repel ticks.

If there isn't any fleas he may have a flea allergy and thats a whole different ballgame. Does he bite right above the base of his tail or chew at his front paws?
Old 06-28-2011, 11:53 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,104

She's got em back again. I thought I killed a large % with the hour long repeated bath. I'm about to bring her to the vet and get her heartworm stuff, rabies vac and the yearly stuff. My truck is getting the mufflers changed right now so this will have to wait.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:09 PM
Redfish

Your bath probably did kill a bunch of the adults. What the baths don't kill are all the eggs they laid in the house and/or yard. Same thing with the comfortis though. It will kill all the adults but it doesn't do anything about the eggs/larvae which is where the sentinel comes in.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:13 PM
Redfish

Cash: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttmechanic View Post
If there isn't any fleas he may have a flea allergy and thats a whole different ballgame. Does he bite right above the base of his tail or chew at his front paws?
Muttmechanic, my dog has done this before in the past but I would just bathe her and she would stop. After about two weeks without a bath, she would have a spot at the base of her tail that would stay wet. Does this mean she has a flea allergy? If so, what can be done?
Old 06-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttmechanic View Post
You are spraying enough to kill the fleas that are there. What's not happening for you is your neighbors aren't spraying at all more than likely. Fleas have been recorded to jump up to 60 feet in a single jump just imagine what they can accomplish in a whole day.

20 yards? Negative, must have been a typo
Old 06-28-2011, 01:58 PM
Sailfish

I sprayed the hi-yield and am seein lots of dead bugs of all types layin around, I am gona respray this week but I am also goin to put the other poison that makes eggs sterile so no more rehatch and I also started the comfortis today next step is lead poison
Old 06-28-2011, 02:12 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,333

You have to treat the total yard as well as the dog. Another option for the yard is to get you a bag or two of the ant/flea/tick granules and broadcast the whole yard. And do this application every 3 months or so.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 2,192

I do 7dust in the yard.....it works well.....other prob is rats in my back building.....they keep the fleas in there. Can't seem to kill all the rats!!
Old 06-28-2011, 02:16 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,340
Default Which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndamendment View Post
You have to treat the total yard as well as the dog. Another option for the yard is to get you a bag or two of the ant/flea/tick granules and broadcast the whole yard. And do this application every 3 months or so.
Which ones do you use. I bought some and they didn't seem to work well. I can't remember what brand it was. Was trying to get rid of fire ants.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndamendment View Post
If you fertilze your yard Scotts makes a weed-n-feed with ortomax in it that kills ants and fleas and alot more along with its pretty good on the yard
Old 06-28-2011, 02:18 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
Which ones do you use. I bought some and they didn't seem to work well. I can't remember what brand it was. Was trying to get rid of fire ants.
you can get just ortomax in a bag
Old 06-28-2011, 02:32 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,333

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
As weedeater said orthomax is a good brand. I have tried basically all of the brands at some point. Bug-B-Gone, Eliminator, etc. Been broadcasting granules for many years. As for as fleas and ticks are concerned, we have not had an issue with fleas or ticks. Our dogs run free in our fenced in backyard. We have a lot of squirrels and sometimes some mice. Consistently keeping the fire ants at bay is an on going struggle.
Old 06-28-2011, 02:34 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

My in-laws are north Louisiana rednecks and they have a bunch of foxhounds and they say the best thing to do AFTER you get all the dogs rid of fleas is to put out Borax (its dirt cheap and you can get it at any store) all in the yard. If your neighbors have fleas, you have to treat your entire yard, not just by the kennel. As said earlier, go to the vet and get a pill. After an hour or so, the dog will start acting crazy because the fleas are running all over him, it will rid the dog of fleas for a few days. This is when you have to attack the yard. After you rid em all, get the dog on good flea meds Good luck with em.