SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-25-2012, 03:23 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

Salty - why are you so PO'ed about the guy not getting a ticket. Does he have insurance? What good (besides making you feel better) would a citation do in this case? Was the guy at fault local?

I say this, because as an officer I do this on a regular basis. When I was first starting out, I wrote a bunch of tickets at accident scenes. But, it's up to the officer investigating the crash on citations. Their is no law that states a "citation MUST be written" anywhere in the Louisiana books.

Now, put yourself in another position.........take a deep breath........calm down, and just here me out!........................................

As a commissioned officer, do you know when I took a different take on writing citations at accident scenes? Especially the fender/bender type?............................The day my oldest kid starting driving!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, turn the table. You and your daughter pay car insurance premiums to repair damage caused in an accident. If she was the one that would have failed to stop at an intersection, and collided with another car, would a citation from an officer make a difference. Your insurance would pay for damages, and she would have a $200 ticket. With or without a ticket, she is at fault and her insurance has to pay. It's an "ACCIDENT", and those happen.

Now, when I get a knucklehead driving aggressively or in a impaired state, things change. But after you calm down, think about it - does a driver having a bad day that just caused an accident and will likely get an increase in premiums really need a ticket? The damage is done and the accident report is what shows fault, not the citation. Just think about it!
Old 06-25-2012, 03:26 PM
Flounder

Cash: 35

One question. If your daughter would of been in the wrong, wouldn't you be happy that the officer wasn't ticket happy?
Old 06-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
Salty - why are you so PO'ed about the guy not getting a ticket. Does he have insurance? What good (besides making you feel better) would a citation do in this case? Was the guy at fault local?

I say this, because as an officer I do this on a regular basis. When I was first starting out, I wrote a bunch of tickets at accident scenes. But, it's up to the officer investigating the crash on citations. Their is no law that states a "citation MUST be written" anywhere in the Louisiana books.

Now, put yourself in another position.........take a deep breath........calm down, and just here me out!........................................

As a commissioned officer, do you know when I took a different take on writing citations at accident scenes? Especially the fender/bender type?............................The day my oldest kid starting driving!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, turn the table. You and your daughter pay car insurance premiums to repair damage caused in an accident. If she was the one that would have failed to stop at an intersection, and collided with another car, would a citation from an officer make a difference. Your insurance would pay for damages, and she would have a $200 ticket. With or without a ticket, she is at fault and her insurance has to pay. It's an "ACCIDENT", and those happen.

Now, when I get a knucklehead driving aggressively or in a impaired state, things change. But after you calm down, think about it - does a driver having a bad day that just caused an accident and will likely get an increase in premiums really need a ticket? The damage is done and the accident report is what shows fault, not the citation. Just think about it!
just plead not guilty, take the public defender and then request on your 3rd appearance to city court to have it reduced to a non moving violation. You then pay the fine and call your current insurance to have them lower the rate a bit. 8 hour safe driver course and it comes off your record.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:17 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,139

Quote:
Originally Posted by finfeatherfur View Post
salty - why are you so po'ed about the guy not getting a ticket. Does he have insurance? What good (besides making you feel better) would a citation do in this case? Was the guy at fault local?

I say this, because as an officer i do this on a regular basis. When i was first starting out, i wrote a bunch of tickets at accident scenes. But, it's up to the officer investigating the crash on citations. Their is no law that states a "citation must be written" anywhere in the louisiana books.

As a commissioned officer, do you know when i took a different take on writing citations at accident scenes? Especially the fender/bender type?............................the day my oldest kid starting driving!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, turn the table. You and your daughter pay car insurance premiums to repair damage caused in an accident. If she was the one that would have failed to stop at an intersection, and collided with another car, would a citation from an officer make a difference. Your insurance would pay for damages, and she would have a $200 ticket. With or without a ticket, she is at fault and her insurance has to pay. It's an "accident", and those happen.

Now, when i get a knucklehead driving aggressively or in a impaired state, things change. But after you calm down, think about it - does a driver having a bad day that just caused an accident and will likely get an increase in premiums really need a ticket? The damage is done and the accident report is what shows fault, not the citation. Just think about it!

and this is why society is the way it is he ran a stop sign he should get a ticket for doing wrong. Just let him off with a warning so next time he is in that position oh i can run it i wont get a ticket and boom causes another wreck and someone dies because he did not get a ticket for the last time he ran a stop sign
Old 06-25-2012, 04:59 PM
Great White

Cash: 3,391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post

I am calm.....and I'm still pissed that he didn't get cited. But, it ain't over yet. Like Bob said...it's who you know and I know everybody in this parish. He ran a stop sign. It's not that he stopped, didn't see her and proceeded to pull out in front of her. He ran right through the intersection (or, at least tried to) without stopping. It's only an "accident" because I don't think he did it on purpose. Nevertheless, he broke the law. Had he not broken the law...chances are the "accident" would not have happened. So, no....I don't think it should have been dismissed. So what if a "$200" ticket makes for a bad day!!!

BTW, the officer axed the dude where it hit on his truck. Honestly, it was hard to tell. It probably knocked out a couple dents when Meagan hit him.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:01 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDSD View Post
One question. If your daughter would of been in the wrong, wouldn't you be happy that the officer wasn't ticket happy?
One answer. I would still have questioned why no citation was given. Go on FaceBook and axt her if she believes that.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG RED 1983 View Post
and this is why society is the way it is he ran a stop sign he should get a ticket for doing wrong. Just let him off with a warning so next time he is in that position oh i can run it i wont get a ticket and boom causes another wreck and someone dies because he did not get a ticket for the last time he ran a stop sign
I axt the officer would he have written a citation had my daughter been killed and he just turned his back.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:33 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 887

I wonder if the guy was texting when he ran through the stop sign and hit your daughter.....

I lost a nephew because of an underage driver, 15 year old, no license, was driving down the highway, texting and hit my nephew head on. My nephew was trying to avoid the guy and was just about in the ditch on his side of the road when the other guy hit him head on. Thank goodness his wife and two daughters lived, but they where banged up pretty bad....this guy didn't get a ticket either....glad no one was hurt and your daughter is alive and well, give her a big hug, cars can be fixed.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wag View Post
I wonder if the guy was texting when he ran through the stop sign and hit your daughter.....

I lost a nephew because of an underage driver, 15 year old, no license, was driving down the highway, texting and hit my nephew head on. My nephew was trying to avoid the guy and was just about in the ditch on his side of the road when the other guy hit him head on. Thank goodness his wife and two daughters lived, but they where banged up pretty bad....this guy didn't get a ticket either....glad no one was hurt and your daughter is alive and well, give her a big hug, cars can be fixed.
The best friend I ever had was killed in a head-on crash by a woman texting on a cell phone. That's why, someday, I hope they make it illegal to even have one of the bastards in a vehicle. It is just senseless taking of innocent lives and it's a proven fact that it's just as deadly as alcohol.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

In the insurance world, as well as the reconstruction world, the term "accident" has long been retired. It is now known as a collision, regardless of circumstance. The term accident was too easy for an attorney to place reasonable doubt. Ya don't have to believe what I am saying but, do a little Google search and, you'll know I am not wrong here.

He may have "accidently" caused a collision but, he didn't "collisionly" cause an accident.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:56 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Don't worry Stan....I hit a crack ho one time and I was at fault 100% I new the state trooper and got no ticket

But did get a ceritifired letter delivered by a Officer

Your Being Sued !!!!!

Ho got my insurance for 125,000
Old 06-25-2012, 10:22 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern151 View Post
In the insurance world, as well as the reconstruction world, the term "accident" has long been retired. It is now known as a collision, regardless of circumstance. The term accident was too easy for an attorney to place reasonable doubt. Ya don't have to believe what I am saying but, do a little Google search and, you'll know I am not wrong here.

He may have "accidently" caused a collision but, he didn't "collisionly" cause an accident.
So, this dude "accidentally" ran that stop sign?
Old 06-25-2012, 10:26 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 9,560

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty View Post
My daughter called a little while ago and said that a dude ran a stop sign and clobbered her brand new Murano. So, I jump up and run over there. I axt the officer shouldn't the dude get cited for running a stop sign and causing an accident. He replied, "Yes, but, I ain't much of a ticket-writer." I said, "OK, I'll take care of it!" I'm waiting for the police chief to call me.

This kinda stuff pisses me off to no end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"ain't much of a ticket writer????" Thate tax dollars going to a good cause right there!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:38 PM
Great White

Never heard back from the station, so, I'll be at it again tomorrow.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Forgive the grammar... Had a w moment!
Old 06-25-2012, 10:41 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Quote:
Yeah, the chief's secretary told me that it would show that plus if a ticket was issued. She told me it is left up to the officer's discretion.

Is this common practice, or...just Bogalusa?
It's his discretion because either #1 he knew the guy or his relatives or #2 he didn't want to have to spend time in court.
But yes it is common practice. Son caused a wreck after stopping at a blind corner .he pulled out and a car in a 30 mph zone hit him and glanced off and hit another car 50 feet from the intersection and pushed it 27 feet thru a wooden fence . but they were not speeding??? I asked the responding city LEO was he going to cite my son? he responded .You and i know it is a blind corner ,you and i both know the car that hit him was going a lot faster than 30 mph . No one was hurt so lets just chalk it up to OOPs and let the insurance companys worry about it.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:50 PM
Great White

Quote:
Originally Posted by eman View Post
It's his discretion because either #1 he knew the guy or his relatives or #2 he didn't want to have to spend time in court.
But yes it is common practice. Son caused a wreck after stopping at a blind corner .he pulled out and a car in a 30 mph zone hit him and glanced off and hit another car 50 feet from the intersection and pushed it 27 feet thru a wooden fence . but they were not speeding??? I asked the responding city LEO was he going to cite my son? he responded .You and i know it is a blind corner ,you and i both know the car that hit him was going a lot faster than 30 mph . No one was hurt so lets just chalk it up to OOPs and let the insurance companys worry about it.
Well, this was no blind corner. The dude openly admitted that he never slowed down for the stop sign. Just listening to the conversation...it didn't appear that this cop knew the dude driving the other vehicle. But, there's no way of knowin'. One thing's for sure....before this is over...he's gonna know me.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:12 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Well, this was no blind corner. The dude openly admitted that he never slowed down for the stop sign. Just listening to the conversation...it didn't appear that this cop knew the dude driving the other vehicle. But, there's no way of knowin'. One thing's for sure....before this is over...he's gonna know me.
WOW!!! you have issues man! You can call who you want, write letters to the paper, still won't get the driver a ticket for causing an accident. Still not sure how a citation vindicates you over this????????????
Old 06-26-2012, 08:19 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG RED 1983 View Post

Big Red - really!? You went there?????? Think about what you are saying. The officer didn't write a ticket so now he will run another stop sign. Show me one person on here that comes to a complete stop at a stop sign 100% of the time. You produce one person that does and I will kiss your butt on downtown main street in broad daylight. So do we stop every person that rolls through a stop sign. That is the same thing as running a stop sign. It doesn't matter what he was doing when he caused that accident, he is still at fault. He could have been texting, rolling a joint, changing clothes, or rocking his girlfriend behind the wheel. Still doesn't matter, he is at fault and a citation doesn't change things.

I suggest if you guys want to write citations yourself, carry your rear ends to the academy and get a badge. Until then, **** and use your brain! Salty, you can call the chief, the mayor, Gov Blanco, and Obama - we here this everyday! When we walk out their office, the guy still won't have a ticket!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:51 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 890

Quote:

Dude you should be glad that the collision happened the way it happened. He could of hit your daughter on the driver's door and killed her or caused her some serious injury. And you keep on prostituting on him not getting a ticket. Like FFF said how many times didn't your daughter not come to a complete stop? Forget about it and move on. That is why insurance is taken