SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

I bet the ones making the mess are gonna blame everyone else.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:04 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618
Default Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I bet the ones making the mess are gonna blame everyone else.

Yep, the ones doing it will never step up and do the right thing, always waiting for someone else to do it, entitlement, sound familiar?

Not a tree hugger, been hunting all my life, and fish a little. Bring the wife and 6 y/o son to Rockefeller maybe twice a year. It is an easy place to let the son and wife crab on land. We have our crab lines on wooden sticks, unroll and stick them in the mud, when finished roll back up and put in 5 gallon bucket, easy. We never leave trash! And if I have time to cast net, all bycatch goes back in water, it really isn't that hard! Son gets to see alligators and other wildlife and has a blast. Anyone with young children who enjoy the outdoors and do not have access to private property better start paying attention and getting involved. These refuges are a priveledge not a right and can be shut down in a heart beat, they are just looking for a reason to do it, save the state a ton of money!

Off of soap box.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:05 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,083

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
If you know where the "cement" wier is located....

Go east to almost the end [2+ miles] and then turn into a smaller canal to the north and go up the canal about 1/2 mile and the wier is on the west side.
Thank you sir
Old 07-14-2011, 02:48 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Here are the regulation from the Rockfeller Wildlife Refuge web site:

1. The visiting season on the Rockefeller Wildlife Refuge will extend from March 1st to December 1st throughout the Refuge except those restricted areas designated to prohibit interference with research and management activities. Use of Humble Canal; Joseph Harbor Bayou; Headquarters Canal; East End Road and Locks; Union Producing Canal; Deep Lake; East End Boundary Canal; and Rollover Bayou shall be year round. In addition to the access, sport fishermen shall be permitted only as far inland as the existing water control structures. The remainder of the Refuge shall be restricted during the winter months and will be closed to all trespassing.

2. Use of the Refuge will be allowed from official sunrise until official sunset. This includes access routes through the Refuge.

3. Overnight camping is prohibited.

4. Hunting, pursuing, killing, molesting, or intentionally disturbing any type of wildlife by the public is prohibited. This does not prohibit the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries from carrying out harvest programs for certain types of wildlife as specified in the Deed of Donation and/or Memorandum of Agreement.

5. Trawling on the Refuge is prohibited. Trotlines, crab traps, jug lines, trammel, and gill nets and traps are prohibited. All commercial fishing and use of any commercial fishing gear on the Refuge is prohibited. Twenty-five pounds of shrimp (heads on) per boat or vehicle per day is allowed during the inside open shrimp season as established by the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission. Ten (10) pounds of shrimp (heads on) for bait purposes may be caught during the closed season. Shrimp may be harvested only by cast net on the Refuge and only for sport fishing or home consumption use.

6. Crawfish may be harvested from the open portion of the Refuge and one-hundred (100) pounds per boat or vehicle is allowed per day. Set nets may be used but must be attended and removed from the Refuge daily. No commercial harvest is allowed.

7. Crabs may be harvested from the open portion of the Refuge and twelve (12) dozen crabs are allowed per boat or vehicle per day.

8. The burning of the marsh by the public is prohibited. Water control structures shall not be tampered with or altered by anyone other than employees of the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries.

9. Bringing firearms, bows and arrows, liquor and controlled dangerous substances (drugs) onto the Refuge is prohibited. All boats and vehicles are subject to search by all authorized employees of the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries at anytime.

10. Speed boat racing and water skiing is prohibited. All boat traffic shall honor no wake zones and shall keep wave wash to a minimum. Pulling boats over or around levees, dams, or water control structures is prohibited.

11. No littering is allowed. Visitors must remove their litter or place litter in appropriate trash disposal sites. Damage to or removal of trees, shrubs, and wild plants without prior approval is prohibited.

12. Commercial fishing gear or trawls shall not be permitted in possession while participating in sports fishing on Refuge. Commercial fishing gear may be in possession for non-stop access directly across refuge or for safe harbor only.

Here are the regulations for all the "Refuges" [Sabine, East Cove, etc.].

Cast netting:

Cast netting for bait is permitted in accordance with
state regulations and when units are open for fishing only.
The shrimp limit, when cast netting for bait outside the
Louisiana inshore waters shrimp season, is one gallon
per day per vehicle or boat. Cast nets must be emptied
directly into a container. Cast netters must maintain

actual custody of shrimp while on the refuge.

Old 07-15-2011, 08:17 AM
Flounder

Cash: 642

someone mentioned having a small camera, we all do, on all cell phones. take a picture of them in act and post it here. WE could turn them in on the litter law, but you have to a sign an affidavit stating that fact. thus he can do the same to you! I say we start posting pictures of them and their boats, just like the pot lickers
Old 07-15-2011, 10:08 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,732

This irks me as well and I always pickup more than my own. How us Salty Cajuns see if we can get a group together to volunteer to help clean it up. Might get some great publicity for the group and show the rest of the public that while we harvest the resource we do give back in many ways other than the money we spend. Not sure what we would need to clean the place but a trash pump and some hoses to wash it down would be my thought
Old 07-15-2011, 08:42 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,213

I'm not trying to blame all of the worlds ills on the "Communist in Chief" by any means, but has anybody else noticed that in the last 2 or 3 years acess to Federal lands seems to be less acessable. Not trying to hatch a consipiarcy theory, but I know these trash problems have been going on for many years now and I can't remember them ever shutting everyone out for the reasons of "public health hazard". I think Salazar may be been instructed to limit hunting and fishing opportunities on Federal lands as much as possible in an effort to pander to the liberal base(animal rights people). Obama told the libs at a rally that his justice department was "doing things under the radar to effect gun control" maybe this is also happening with the hunting and fishing too?? There are too many other ways to control this problem without running everyone off of federal lands. Maybe this new approach to an old problem is just a concidence, but I am suspicous nontheless.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:37 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Babaz View Post
I'm not trying to blame all of the worlds ills on the "Communist in Chief" by any means, but has anybody else noticed that in the last 2 or 3 years acess to Federal lands seems to be less acessable. Not trying to hatch a consipiarcy theory, but I know these trash problems have been going on for many years now and I can't remember them ever shutting everyone out for the reasons of "public health hazard". I think Salazar may be been instructed to limit hunting and fishing opportunities on Federal lands as much as possible in an effort to pander to the liberal base(animal rights people). Obama told the libs at a rally that his justice department was "doing things under the radar to effect gun control" maybe this is also happening with the hunting and fishing too?? There are too many other ways to control this problem without running everyone off of federal lands. Maybe this new approach to an old problem is just a concidence, but I am suspicous nontheless.
You might be right......but if that were the case, I would think they would have just closed all of Rockefeller and say it was due to "health" issues.
Old 07-16-2011, 01:34 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,213

Quote:
You might be right......but if that were the case, I would think they would have just closed all of Rockefeller and say it was due to "health" issues.
Baby steps my friend, baby steps.... These people have the patience of Job and think long term when it comes to nudging and prodding our country into their direction. Can you imagine the outrage if they shut down Sabine, Lacassine, Cameron Prarie and the Rock to all hunting and fishing activities all at once and for good. The people would never stand for it. But if they can close this section "temporarly for our own good" or ban that activity or slap so many regulations in the pamplet that people just say the heck with it I'll start golfing or bowling instead, then over time(years, maybe a generation or less) they will have weakened the outdoor culture to the point where they can close or ban anything they want and no one will be outraged or even care. I hope and pray that never happens
Old 07-16-2011, 03:50 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,618

Quote:
has anybody else noticed that in the last 2 or 3 years acess to Federal lands seems to be less acessable.
yes..I have...especially after being gone from Louisiana for 20 + years.....what I notice now is the systematic loss of the average cajun's god given rights to our wildlife and fisheries......littering is NO REASON to shut off access to our nature's resources....boat or no boat....bank or no bank!.. enforce the current laws!!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:17 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDM View Post
This irks me as well and I always pickup more than my own. How us Salty Cajuns see if we can get a group together to volunteer to help clean it up. Might get some great publicity for the group and show the rest of the public that while we harvest the resource we do give back in many ways other than the money we spend. Not sure what we would need to clean the place but a trash pump and some hoses to wash it down would be my thought

Excellent Idea!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:20 AM
Ling

Quote:

Rockefeller Refuge is a state refuge. It is different than Lacassine and Sabine that are federal and its different than other state owned Wildlife Management Areas. Rockefeller is supported by an endowment from the Rockefeller trustees basically from oil and gas royalties (which is why they have a bunch of really good equipment). The whole point of Rockefeller was for a wintering ground for waterfowl and for public fishing opportunity. This is what gets me, its for the public to enjoy, so... Go in plain clothes write a few tickets have some volunteers clean up the mess, and be done with it.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:32 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Rockefeller Refuge is a state refuge. It is different than Lacassine and Sabine that are federal and its different than other state owned Wildlife Management Areas. Rockefeller is supported by an endowment from the Rockefeller trustees basically from oil and gas royalties (which is why they have a bunch of really good equipment). The whole point of Rockefeller was for a wintering ground for waterfowl and for public fishing opportunity. This is what gets me, its for the public to enjoy, so... Go in plain clothes write a few tickets have some volunteers clean up the mess, and be done with
it.
I agree. U can only put so much blame on the dummies trashing it. You gotta put most of them blame on our tax funded agents sittin on their dead azz drawing a check and not takin care of business. It's a lot easier for them to just shut it down and draw a check than actually gettin out in the heat and doin their job. Put a 3 year ban on anyone littering. Second offense lifetime ban and jail time. Simple. More and more in all these refuges you see it. They threaten to shut em down for differen reasons and ain't wrote the first ticket. Ok I'm done!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:42 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
Rockefeller Refuge is a state refuge. It is different than Lacassine and Sabine that are federal and its different than other state owned Wildlife Management Areas. Rockefeller is supported by an endowment from the Rockefeller trustees basically from oil and gas royalties (which is why they have a bunch of really good equipment). The whole point of Rockefeller was for a wintering ground for waterfowl and for public fishing opportunity. This is what gets me, its for the public to enjoy, so... Go in plain clothes write a few tickets have some volunteers clean up the mess, and be done with it.
Agreed but the volunteers should be in orange jumpsuits.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:49 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fastmerc View Post
Agreed but the volunteers should be in orange jumpsuits.
I agree! Talk about some rough community service in that stinky environment

At least they did not shut down the other wiers and just the one. The only thing I can see why they would shut it down and not let anyone back their is that there may be some sort of health hazard with all the rotting fish. Maybe in a few weeks the dead fish disappear and they reopen it. Not taking up for the GWs but maybe? there is some other reason and they are covering their azzes. Imagine if someone contracted a disease, the refuge may be shut down to the public all together. I do like the idea of plain clothes GWs out there, BUT he would be too busy with DUIs!
Old 07-17-2011, 12:55 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
I agree. U can only put so much blame on the dummies trashing it. You gotta put most of them blame on our tax funded agents sittin on their dead azz drawing a check and not takin care of business. It's a lot easier for them to just shut it down and draw a check than actually gettin out in the heat and doin their job. Put a 3 year ban on anyone littering. Second offense lifetime ban and jail time. Simple. More and more in all these refuges you see it. They threaten to shut em down for differen reasons and ain't wrote the first ticket. Ok I'm done!
I don't think this statement is called for.....IMHO. The "Dummies" are 100% to blame for the mess while there. The agents "JOB" is not watch people to see if they are breaking the rules while cast netting.

I have not gone to Rockefeller very often [it is ~75 miles from my house], but on several trips....I have seen the game warden out patrolling the waters.

I have read reports of "plain clothes" GW out at the weirs giving tickets.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:17 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

if they are shutting down areas like this due to trash and such when will they start shutting down our roads? It is a shame that trashy people are ruining the things we enjoy and places we enjoy taking our families. If the GW's and cops want to cry for over time and the state wants to cut their pay then let them get a group of inmates or some of these low life welfare recipients out there and put them to work since they already rob our tax dollars.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:13 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

Quote:
I don't think this statement is called for.....IMHO. The "Dummies" are 100% to blame for the mess while there. The agents "JOB" is not watch people to see if they are breaking the rules while cast netting.

I have not gone to Rockefeller very often [it is ~75 miles from my house], but on several trips....I have seen the game warden out patrolling the waters.

I have read reports of "plain clothes" GW out at the weirs giving tickets.
Wrong. IMO it is the agents job to make sure they're not littering. In the pamphlet there's a rule that say something along the lines of must throw back all bycatch. If they're not doing it enforce the rule. Don't shut don't the refuge for your convenience.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:28 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
Wrong. IMO it is the agents job to make sure they're not littering. In the pamphlet there's a rule that say something along the lines of must throw back all bycatch. If they're not doing it enforce the rule. Don't shut don't the refuge for your convenience.
I agree....enforce the rule!!!
Old 07-18-2011, 08:07 AM
Flounder

Cash: 642

I think it is 100% the trashers fault. You can't blame any one else for the mess. I go there often and I can tell you, there are crab strings and trash all over the place. The ones that are leaving this mess should be banned for life from going. I for one will be keeping my eyes open for trashers. I went to rollover a few months ago and saw a dead pelican wrapped in trashers crab string. This crap needs to stop. They are not doing the crabs and birds a favor by leaving there crap there, if you brought it there, bring back home with you.