SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:15 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,347
Default Still believe in fairy (crawfish)tales?

ive always said this and now someone was bored enough at lsu to do a little research.
http://www.wwl.com/Study--Straight-t...nd-sa/18471954
Old 02-26-2014, 01:28 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 758

Wash your crawfish all you want in fresh water then when you think they are clean add a box of salt to the clear water and watch the mud appear.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:32 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I do rinse my crawfish in water till the water is clear.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:57 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,978

I always have said the Salt deal was myth. People love to argue that it works. It kills them faster than anything from what I have seen.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:01 PM
Redfish

Cash: 978

I guess now I will grab all the huge straight tail crawfish that no one else wants.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:05 PM
Red Snapper

people will always believe what they want, ignorance is bliss.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:07 PM
Red Snapper

im sure you can add zud and toilet bowl cleaner to the water as well. gets them real clean.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:16 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

I'm not arguing with their findings because I'm no scientist, but why do the ones with the straight tails always have a chalky like texture to the meat?
Old 02-26-2014, 02:18 PM
Ling

Cash: 505

probably bc some with straight tails were dead.... But some of the ones tested may have been exactly what they said... in a bind and couldn't curl em....
Old 02-26-2014, 02:25 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
I'm not arguing with their findings because I'm no scientist, but why do the ones with the straight tails always have a chalky like texture to the meat?

I peel the straight tails..... if they mealy I throw em out. If the like the rest of the meat they going down the gullet.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:30 PM
Flounder

Cash: 673

Took 12 years and 34 million dollars to discover this, ashamed the study ended, selling the crawfish to the government for 12$ a pound had to end!

Just Kidding!!!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Spook View Post
I always have said the Salt deal was myth. People love to argue that it works. It kills them faster than anything from what I have seen.
as to the study:

first off I wish they had explained how they determined the straight tail situation, was it separate testing or by boiling a sack full?

as to the purging question the study is wrong from the start because they are talking about purging the poop shoots and those who are cooking are trying to flush out the gills and recent food contents (stomach) NOT remove the contents already on its way out naturally. for this reason they miss the whole purpose and reason for purging as well as the effects salt has on making the crawfish flush the gills and expel the stomach contents. I am shocked no one there was able to realize that.

as to the purging argument:

its like the climate change argument, there is a tiny sliver of truth in there but its distorted.

the salt burns the gills so they flush them like mad and purge the mud from them in the process but it also kills them so you better be ready to go straight to the pot or risk a lot of dead loss.

the straight fresh city water from the hose has chlorine in it and that burns the gills to and makes them purge but it doesn't kill them so it is the best method for the average guy to use.

one thing most people don't know or don't think about is if you are using well water then soaking does nothing since there is no chlorine in the water so if you have well water you kinda do need to use salt to purge them but as mentioned you better have the pot full and hot ready to go before you purge and do a quick purge and straight to the pot, no time for drinking beer lol.

in most cases if you cook them within minute or two of dying they are just as good as live ones and most people cant tell, (tail meat is a little soft but not yet mushy)

Last edited by keakar; 02-26-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:52 AM
Flounder

Cash: 608

Salt is a myth. When you put a sack say 30 lbs in a ice chest of fresh water and they begin running out of oxygen they take a dump. Plain and simple, did my own study 2 years ago when I got bored. using air fed gold fish bowls and non air fed bowls. Case solved
Old 02-27-2014, 06:57 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,003

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
as to the study:

first off I wish they had explained how they determined the straight tail situation, was it separate testing or by boiling a sack full?

as to the purging question the study is wrong from the start because they are talking about purging the poop shoots and those who are cooking are trying to flush out the gills and recent food contents (stomach) NOT remove the contents already on its way out naturally. for this reason they miss the whole purpose and reason for purging as well as the effects salt has on making the crawfish flush the gills and expel the stomach contents. I am shocked no one there was able to realize that.

as to the purging argument:

its like the climate change argument, there is a tiny sliver of truth in there but its distorted.

the salt burns the gills so they flush them like mad and purge the mud from them in the process but it also kills them so you better be ready to go straight to the pot or risk a lot of dead loss.

the straight fresh city water from the hose has chlorine in it and that burns the gills to and makes them purge but it doesn't kill them so it is the best method for the average guy to use.

one thing most people don't know or don't think about is if you are using well water then soaking does nothing since there is no chlorine in the water so if you have well water you kinda do need to use salt to purge them but as mentioned you better have the pot full and hot ready to go before you purge and do a quick purge and straight to the pot, no time for drinking beer lol.

in most cases if you cook them within minute or two of dying they are just as good as live ones and most people cant tell, (tail meat is a little soft but not yet mushy)
Can u give us a link to the study that proved all of this?
Old 02-27-2014, 07:13 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feesherman View Post
Can u give us a link to the study that proved all of this?
its like the blind leading the blind. some people just dont want to be proven wrong lololol
Old 02-27-2014, 01:29 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
I have a buddy that is an ag major and helped with the study. They cook different when the tails are stuck straight. They also took a dead crawish and a live one cooked them seperately and there was no difference. Both tails stayed curled.
Old 02-27-2014, 01:35 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

LMAO people who I see put salt in crawfish to purge them still makes me LMAO

I knew that never work in pre K....

They only way to really purge crawfish is in tanks for 24/36 hrs while circulating water
Old 02-27-2014, 01:58 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,065

Man that place is like 1.5 miles from my house as a crow flies.....I'm gonna have to go down there and help them out when they are running a "study" on boiled crawfish.