SaltyCajun.com http://www.lyonsagency.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-17-2015, 09:44 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734
Default Reputible Guide Service

I do not have the luxury of living near BL, so the trips I get to make are about once a month. This makes it tough to learn, but I read a lot, every report and I try to combine that with what experience I have, as well bugggin you guys and talking with a few friends.

Normally I can catch fish some days good, some not so good, but Id like to be more consistent with the good days. Id like to find a guide that will teach me on how to read the lake, the weather, the fish habits. I do not want someone that will just take me to a "secrete fishing spot", "private land" or the weirs and say here, fish there, this does me no good. I want to learn, I want to understand, I want to take what the lake and weather is telling me and make an educated assessment.

"Danny, I'm going to give you a little advice. There's a force in the universe that makes things happen; all you have to do is get in touch with it. Stop thinking...let things happen...and be...the ball."

In this case, be the fish Marty

I will be the only one going, so this wont be a trip that Im having a "good ol time" with my buds, I want this to be a "Schools in trip" Im looking to target Redfish.

Does anyone have anyone they would recommend?

Thanks!
Marty
Old 03-17-2015, 09:45 AM
Red Snapper

sorry about the font, no idea how I did that
Old 03-17-2015, 10:43 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 683

"W"
Old 03-17-2015, 10:58 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,728

Quote:
Originally Posted by FREON View Post
"W"

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2015, 11:32 AM
Redfish

Cash: 810

Quote:
"W"
X3
Old 03-17-2015, 12:09 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,200

W or Jadams
Old 03-17-2015, 12:11 PM
Banned

Good luck with that. Figuring out the lake is something that takes time and a ton of experience. I asked a lot of people the same questions you are asking, and nobody had time to "teach" me. Guides are too busy with their business and every day life to share their secrets they've busted their tails for to learn over the years....so... I took it upon myself and fished 3 days a week, sometimes five over the past two years.... And I'm still learning new things.... W Is your best source of knowledge, but some common answers I've recieved from him are " in the water on the lip" " north" "south" ect... So IMO there's no easy way out of your predicament except book a trip or two and see what they will be willing to share with you. If I had time, I would be willing to help... But I'm stretched too thin as it is... Good luck my friend.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:30 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

I learned more about Big Lake the first time I went fishing with "W" than I had in many years of fishing the lake before that.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:31 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 764

Matt Griffith
337-912-5939
Old 03-17-2015, 12:58 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePinkBanana View Post
Good luck with that. Figuring out the lake is something that takes time and a ton of experience. I asked a lot of people the same questions you are asking, and nobody had time to "teach" me. Guides are too busy with their business and every day life to share their secrets they've busted their tails for to learn over the years....so... I took it upon myself and fished 3 days a week, sometimes five over the past two years.... And I'm still learning new things.... W Is your best source of knowledge, but some common answers I've recieved from him are " in the water on the lip" " north" "south" ect... So IMO there's no easy way out of your predicament except book a trip or two and see what they will be willing to share with you. If I had time, I would be willing to help... But I'm stretched too thin as it is... Good luck my friend.
Well Im doing what I can with what I have, thanks for the advice!
Old 03-17-2015, 01:00 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 4,409

Hiring a guide that is willing to teach is a great start. I went with a few and finally settled on a couple that I clicked with. What I learned is that they are all very good fisherman. Some better than others, but all good. The difference for me was that you can tell the ones that really LOVE what they are doing. They tend to be more inclined to teach and I gelled better with those guys. Waltrip is one of those.

But, here's the ugly truth, there are few shortcuts to consistently catching fish on this lake. It's just like anything else, the harder and smarter you fish the more you will learn and the better you will get.

Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:16 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobo23 View Post
Hiring a guide that is willing to teach is a great start. I went with a few and finally settled on a couple that I clicked with. What I learned is that they are all very good fisherman. Some better than others, but all good. The difference for me was that you can tell the ones that really LOVE what they are doing. They tend to be more inclined to teach and I gelled better with those guys. Waltrip is one of those.

But, here's the ugly truth, there are few shortcuts to consistently catching fish on this lake. It's just like anything else, the harder and smarter you fish the more you will learn and the better you will get.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Thanks for the tips. Im very diligent about trying to get all the information I can before I hit the lake, I do my home work, check water temp, winds, tides, weather, read reports ........... and I watch the cows . In fact due to my distance google earth and bing images have become my tools in searching the lake.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:25 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

W or Matt Griffith
Old 03-17-2015, 02:01 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
I learned more about Big Lake the first time I went fishing with "W" than I had in many years of fishing the lake before that.

that was a fun day
Old 03-17-2015, 02:01 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,834

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
W or Matt Griffith
x2
Old 03-17-2015, 02:36 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 683

Quote:
"W"
And if "W" isn't available, let me know and I can hook you up with the Captain who mentored him.....Capt. Ryan!!!
Old 03-17-2015, 02:45 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,200

^^lol^^
Old 03-17-2015, 05:54 PM
Red Snapper

Going With W.......... done deal
Old 03-17-2015, 06:04 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty f View Post
Going With W.......... done deal

Good choice, W is a stand up dude and knows his stuff.

I'll book with him when I'm ready, I doubt hill take me though after all the hell I give him in the sports bar...