SaltyCajun.com http://www.boltonford.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,440

I bought a Vac Master chamber sealer a few months ago. Love it. With this thing you can vacuum a bag of water. It's built like the ones in butchers shops. Was 800$ with free shipping. Another great part is the bags are only about 50$ for a 1000 bags.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Flounder

Cash: 710

Definitely don't get the cheaper cabelas one because they are not worth a crap. I have one and two of my buddy's also have one and they do not work at all from the start!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

I have a Food Saver I bought in '94 when I fished offshore. It's still going strong.
Don't get the stand up type. Get the one that lays flat on the counter.
We got one of them ones that stand up, and it is not as good as the flat ones.
Academy has the Sportsman model for around $90.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:10 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by cduhon View Post
I have the Cabelas CG-15 and well worth the money. I have been through about 5 other brands ( Foodsaver, Hamilton Beach, Black and Decker), they were all decent but do not even compare to the Cabelas commercial sealer. You pay for it but it is worth every penny. I make lots of duck and deer sausage and other brands always overheat and take forever. The commercial one from Cabelas is awesome. Quick, Easy, Strong, and has auto and manual mode which is great for sausage and fish. I also buy my bags offline from http://www.webstaurantstore.com. I get 100 bags for same price as 15 at Wal-Mart or Academy. Same mil thickness and awesome bags.

The Cabelas unit is always on sale. Get the 11" or 15". I saw one on sale last week for $100 off. Trust me. I have burnt up several from stores and nothing compares.

This might be the tip that makes vacuum sealing cost effective. Every time my wife and I have penciled things out, we decided to stick with ziplock freezer bags, because we weren't willing to bet on the commercial until lasting for over a decade to provide a cost savings with the high cost of the vacuum bags. Next time we're running low on ziplock bags (we have hundreds) we should redo the math with bags from the web restaurant store.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:32 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,461

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
This might be the tip that makes vacuum sealing cost effective. Every time my wife and I have penciled things out, we decided to stick with ziplock freezer bags, because we weren't willing to bet on the commercial until lasting for over a decade to provide a cost savings with the high cost of the vacuum bags. Next time we're running low on ziplock bags (we have hundreds) we should redo the math with bags from the web restaurant store.
I seem to buy more in bulk and no waste anymore with it. I always cook extra now and buy small bags for single servings. I will bbq 20# of chicken and freeze leftover for work. It is a lifesaver when doing lots of sealing- no overheating and quick seals. Bags were always my weak link until i started ordering from offline.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray View Post
I have a Food Saver I bought in '94 when I fished offshore. It's still going strong.
Don't get the stand up type. Get the one that lays flat on the counter.
We got one of them ones that stand up, and it is not as good as the flat ones.
Academy has the Sportsman model for around $90.
I was using a "stand up" vacuum sealer at my Parent"s house on Thursday. Not sure what brand it was.

When sealing one end [use a roll to make bags] you had to stick the plastic up into where the seal was......but to "trigger" the sealing you had to stick the plastic about 1" past where it made the seal. Then after you put the food in the bag you "wasted" another 1+" to seal it up. Also the way this machine was made you could not get the bag real close to it to seal it up, so this "wasted" another 1+" of material. So......every bag took about 4" of extra material to seal up some food. This takes up room in the freezer and cost about 16 to 20 cents "extra" for ever bag.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:00 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald View Post
I was using a "stand up" vacuum sealer at my Parent"s house on Thursday. Not sure what brand it was.

When sealing one end [use a roll to make bags] you had to stick the plastic up into where the seal was......but to "trigger" the sealing you had to stick the plastic about 1" past where it made the seal. Then after you put the food in the bag you "wasted" another 1+" to seal it up. Also the way this machine was made you could not get the bag real close to it to seal it up, so this "wasted" another 1+" of material. So......every bag took about 4" of extra material to seal up some food. This takes up room in the freezer and cost about 16 to 20 cents "extra" for ever bag.
That is the food saver, same one i have.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:01 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Try this place ,she gives a discount to SMF members.
http://www.vacuumsealersunlimited.com/