SaltyCajun.com http://www.stickemrods.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:01 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167
Default Job Question

I have a nephew 21 years of age and has decided that college just is not his cup of tea. He is a really good, smart kid, well-rounded just wants to get in the workforce. He lives in north Louisiana (Ruston) and is really thinking about working offshore or something along the lines in the oil/gas industry. Anyone have any leads? Thanks in advance
Old 04-21-2011, 10:49 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

I don't have any leads.........BUT...........the industry I am in is really in need of young folks just like that.
AND if he puts in the years..........yes years..........he can make some serious coinage.
we are in the electrical distribution business, there are good companies up there to start at.
I walked out of Tech alomost thirty years ago and started in this business at 750.00 a month.........and now I am an extremely blessed man. My responsibility today is 50+ associates and 45+ million in revenue.
Not bad for a boy from a one redlight town in South Louisiana with no college degree.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:17 AM
Ling

Can you maybe give a name of a company up there like that?

His dad is a white collar business man (investments) and has lotsa money. Nephew thought he wanted to do that, but the 2nd semester in college he went to work instead. Classroom is not for him even though he made good grades in high school. His dad really pushed college on him and it just isn't for him. Like I say really good kid, he works for UPS right now and has to be there at 5 every morning and then goes to another job after lunch. I figured if he is not gonna do the college thing then these little jobs are not cutting it, he needs a career.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

No education makes it hard to get a good paying job, from the start.
Military experience or real world experience can get you a lot of job offers.

Tell him to go to a tech school and get some kind of technical degree.
It is much easier with that than nothing. And the starting pay is good too.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Rexel is a good company up here I worked for them for a little while if thats the business he wants to be in
Old 04-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Go to the Acadian Ambulance medic school.
There are lots of rig medic jobs out there.
It is not a bad job to have. Put on weekly safety meetings, incident investigations, paperwork, helicopter landing officer... Clean job for offshore.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Banned

is he any good at sales? lot of money to be made there

tell him to bite the bullet and get some kind of math/science degree if possible, he's still young
Old 04-21-2011, 01:18 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,137

If he knows someone it helps, but If I had to do it again, I would try to go through a Mud School with one of the Drilling Fluids Companies and become a Mud Engineer, work either offshore or land rigs, make mucho $$$$$$$$.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Rexel is a good company up here I worked for them for a little while if thats the business he wants to be in
Rexel is good, actually owned by Sonapar the largest electrical distributor in the world some say.
Elliot is good, there is a CED in Shreveport, Wesco...........
Old 04-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Ling

Thanks for the info guys, the mud man was sorta what i was thinking, there are plenty of land rigs in north Louisiana I will try to get in touch with some folks.

Hell, I may look into the oilfield myself you guys making all the money Any needs for someone with a biology background? Was a mechanic in the miltary and very mechanically inclined, worked on hydraulics (bucket trucks/auger trucks) for a few years before I went back to school?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:27 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,393

He works for UPS? Tell him in stick it out there and one day he can get a truck and a route, those delivery drivers make pretty good money!
Old 04-22-2011, 08:07 AM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by outcast View Post
He works for UPS? Tell him in stick it out there and one day he can get a truck and a route, those delivery drivers make pretty good money!
He doesn't like the 'union employees' he works with Those guys do make some good money though. I hope I have him hooked up with some oilfield workers up there. Was in the Haynesville shale area last week and it looks like the boom is gonna continue there for awhile. You wanna see some po folks gettin rich, do a google earth search of Frierson, La and look at all the rigs around that place. Its one big garhole in that area
Old 04-23-2011, 06:38 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
He doesn't like the 'union employees' he works with Those guys do make some good money though. I hope I have him hooked up with some oilfield workers up there. Was in the Haynesville shale area last week and it looks like the boom is gonna continue there for awhile. You wanna see some po folks gettin rich, do a google earth search of Frierson, La and look at all the rigs around that place. Its one big garhole in that area
I was doin some inspection work for 2 companys in the Shreveport area. And yes the oil and natural gas boom is on up in those parts!! Tell him to try Covington and Kinder Hawk (Kinder Morgan/Petro Hawk merger). They may be able to help. Decades of work up there.