SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 978
FlagUS Southwest Pass

Ok guys and gals maybe somebody can help me understand this because it has me puzzled. Went out to the pass and fished caldwell reef fished until about 1100 fish finder would go off telling me fish around the reef every so often ok Well when I got ready to leave the reef I left the fish finder on just curious and watching for deep holes and stuff well I was idling north up the pass back to the landing and the fish finder was going crazy the screen was showing fish everywhere in the deep water of the pass stopped a few times trying to catch what could be there but nothing and all these fish was holding in 25 ft of water what kind of fish is it and why was nobody fishing these deep holes holding fish can they be caught in that deep of water explain please someone
Old 08-07-2011, 08:54 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Nothing worth keeping in the deep current of the pass. Could have been bull reds,sharks,or big gafftops. Water moves too fast to fish in the channel,it can have up to a 10mph current.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:59 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: -189

It wasn't specs...it was problable big clusters of bait...or big bulls ambushing bait in that current...
Old 08-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,213

<GAFTOP>
Old 08-07-2011, 01:00 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488

I'm not sure what to make of your question??????? "Fish finder going off" - You do understand that just because your "depth finder" marks something in the water, it doesn't necessarily mean you have found the mother load of fish - right?????

I think you need to focus your attention to water clarity, finding moving water and structure, and bait. If you spend more time doing that and not chasing every "dot" on the sonar. Use that machine to make sure you don't run aground and nothing else! Until you go deep offshore looking at what stage of the water depth are the snapper or tuna, it really won't help you to catch specks and reds by "marking fish". Hope that helps.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:33 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
I'm not sure what to make of your question??????? "Fish finder going off" - You do understand that just because your "depth finder" marks something in the water, it doesn't necessarily mean you have found the mother load of fish - right?????
That's right, it could be suspended grass or trash or fish or anything. But it cannot differentiate between fish, bait, or simply suspended trash.