SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 01-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 748
Default In the market

Well, Im in the market for a flats boat. I currently have a 15' RiverHawk (Gheenoe imitator) with a 23hp longtail. I enjoy my boat but lately I've been working on my boat more than I've been fishing... and not to mention longtails weren't made for speed.

The setup was givin to me and is past its prime. To be honest the boat needs alot of attention and I just don't have the space to work on it at the moment. So after talking with a few people it just seems like my best bet is to buy a boat.

I'm looking for a 17' or 16' foot boat that has an extremely shallow draft and one that wont cost me $$ to fill up everytime I want to go fish. Also I want center console steering. I have really been eyeing a Low Tide 25 Gheenoe because of price and being able to get one instate, but just don't know how they can handle a slight chop and if it could get me back up in the shallow marshes. Being that I have a mudmotor now gives me the ability to get just about anywhere. Im not familiar with a outboards and the shallows.

With that being said what do yall recommend? I fish the marshes of Lafitte, but am looking to fish other places once I get a decent boat under me.

Thanks
Old 01-24-2012, 11:58 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 974

East Cape makes some nice rigs for that skinny stuff. http://eastcapeskiffs.com/
Some LA and TX boys are running them. Call Kevin Fenn at East Cape and he can put you in touch with a few owners. New or used? Either way, call Kevin because some of his guys are selling say, the Lostman, to get a Fury or Vantage. Good luck.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 748

Yeah I've looked at EC, but they are out of my price range for a new one.

I'm trying to stay in the 12k range. I know that's not much for a nice flats boat but it all I can swing.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:02 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,188

I have a 98 maverick tunnel hull with a 2005 60 merc big foot. It is sitting on a 2010 magic tilt trailer. Drafts in 6" of water and runs in less. I am a fly fishing guide and need to get a boat a little more designed to get into bigger water. I am looking to sell my boat if you are interested. I am looking to get 8000 but we can talk. This boat would be perfect for someone looking to get into flats fishing without spending a fortune. PM if you are interested and I can tell you more about it.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:04 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,188

Here are some pics I took two days ago.