SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,167
Default Potlicking 101

Don't have my camera cord but I will post some pics of the fish and the 'potlicker' next week. Here is the story:

We fished on the Atchafalaya yesterday afternoon, me a buddy and another couple of buddies in their boat. Canal is about 100 yards wide, a few people fishing no big deal. Everyone is pretty much fishing the edges of the trees and having not much luck. We go in the woods and start catching em in about a foot of water. Big boat comes by and sees us catch one he stops no big deal (wakes the heck out of us when he does). Asks us if we are catching, yeah a few. We catch another one, he asks all kinds of questions we tell em they are real shallow. We are clearly fishing our way south on the east side of the canal. Our other buddies are fishing the other side a little ahead of us. Guy says he appreciates the info and he is gonna try what we are doing (again great no big deal catch some fish), he literally cranks up and drives 100 yards IN FRONT of us the way we are heading and starts fishing. I took a picture of his boat and being this was the first time I have ever been there I wanted to go explore a little more anyway. We head south a mile or so and start fishing the bank. Pretty peaceful most the boats had left because they were not catching in the runouts anymore. Later on, we see our buddies about 1/4 mile back there and this same guy is fishing behind them and PASSES them up eventually! They couldn't believe it, they went to the other side and finished up the day. Never seen anything like it, and I am going out on a limb and going to say these guys are bass fishermen that heard a report but don't know how to catch sacaulait. We did really well in the shallows even though we had a few disturbances
Old 03-17-2012, 12:09 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,038

Well I went out of McGees landing yesterday. I have no clue what I'm doing, killed a 6 pack and not a bite. It gets frustrating and some days I'd be tempted to pull a move like that guy just to bring some fish home.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmac View Post
Well I went out of McGees landing yesterday. I have no clue what I'm doing, killed a 6 pack and not a bite. It gets frustrating and some days I'd be tempted to pull a move like that guy just to bring some fish home.
It wasn't the spot we were fishing that was good it was the technique we were using and it would have worked all over, not just the stretch we were fishing. We all have bad days fishing, but if you really HAVE to bring home fish just run to the grocery store it is much cheaper anyways
Old 03-17-2012, 04:22 PM
Tripletail

Yeah I'm just blowing off steam. I don't think I could get up on someone like that.

btw, what technique were you using?
Old 03-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Butter View Post
It wasn't the spot we were fishing that was good it was the technique we were using and it would have worked all over, not just the stretch we were fishing. We all have bad days fishing, but if you really HAVE to bring home fish just run to the grocery store it is much cheaper anyways
Way cheaper!! Lol got waked today in West cove, how the tm.shaft got bent !!! I was not happy but things happen.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Ling

Quote:
Yeah I'm just blowing off steam. I don't think I could get up on someone like that.

btw, what technique were you using?
Fish were shallow right on the bank. White/chartreuse tube jig was doing best. I had a Bobby Garland jig in the color 'monkey milk' in my tackle box and put it on it worked well. I was tightlining a jig buddy was using cork and ultralight. They were catching a bunch a few days before where the water was coming out from the woods but that changed. May go back tomorrow I need some more Atchafalaya time! Gorgeous place, would like to make a little further run and explore it a little more
Old 03-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
Way cheaper!! Lol got waked today in West cove, how the tm.shaft got bent !!! I was not happy but things happen.
I would be a little perturbed about that. About 50% of the boats that were passing would slow down to idle, the rest were wide open. Sometimes wide open throws a smaller wake but this canal was just a little narrow. The crawfishermen though, they had their boats loaded down and going wide open pushing a heck of a wake. I would much rather be waked by a crawfisherman than a bass or trout fisherman. Crawfish are only in season for so long
Old 03-17-2012, 04:59 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

He had5 miles of room to go around us was the thing. Yeah I don't mind a craber or someone earning a liveing a couple months a year doing it,but not another fisherman. Wasn't happy about it at all!!! But not much you can do.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:14 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,609

Nice job I appreciate the tips. I'm heading that way tomorrow.

How many did y'all end up with?
Old 03-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armand16 View Post
Nice job I appreciate the tips. I'm heading that way tomorrow.

How many did y'all end up with?
I kept 10 sacs and gave buddy 15 sacs and a dozen or so goggle eye and a bass. All nice sized male sacs. I am gonna put in tomorrow at Lake Pelba and explore the Henderson area. Looks like you could get way back in the canals and stay out the wind and hopefully get away from people.
Old 03-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Tripletail

Thanks for the info. I think my biggest problem is trying too many different things and not giving any of them a chance to get results.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:04 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,054

I got "crowded" this morning on the Sabine... Not a boat in site, working a stretch of lillies and this clown comes blowing in.... Boat comes off step within casting distance, throws his trolling motor in, gives me a nod and proceeds to fish right in front of me on the bank I was working...

I did take a pic of the guy, but wont post in case its a member... He had a kid in the boat so it wasnt worth getting into anything with him, not that it would have done any good...
Old 03-17-2012, 08:16 PM
Ling

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I think my biggest problem is trying too many different things and not giving any of them a chance to get results.
Yeah I know the feeling, but when the fish are spawning or pre- or postspawn they are pretty reliable. If you dangle something in front of a male on the bed he is generally going to hit it regardless of color. Best thing to do is slow down a little and if you catch one or two at a certain depth then the bulk of the fish are probably sitting at that depth. Once you eliminate the water that is unproductive you have half the battle figured out. Color matters a little, but depth is the key most the time. Good luck to you