SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hunting, Boating, and General Outdoor Talk > Hunting Discussion

Hunting Discussion Discuss anything related to hunting here!

Old 09-16-2009, 09:31 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 1,488
Default New Hunting Club - Hornbeck, LA

Ok guys, here we go......pull up a chair w/ a cup of coffee, this may take awhile!

As some of you remember, I bidded on a parcel of property west of Hornbeck in lower Sabine Parish. I was not expecting t get it, but the good news is - I did! / bad news is, hunting season is close. I don't expect too much this year other than roughing it, hunting off of portable ladder stands, but I can tolerate it for one year. I was pleasantly surprised when I went look at the property to find a large amount of oaks and creek bottoms, real nice piece totalling 2612 acres. It is west of Hwy 171 off of Hwy 473 and was last know as Hornbeck Hunting Club.

Here's my wish list:

I want to start a club with a group of good guys that can get along and build this into a nice place to be with the family. If you are looking for a place to go for the weekend to get drunk, raise hell, and take your girlfriend while momma is at home w/ the kids, then this is not for you. If you want to join a club where we like to shoot animals, cook a good meal, watch a little LSU football and drink some beer with the family, then we can talk.

I have a couple of old members from the old club that want to continue to hunt there, one of which is a state trooper, so it must be decent. I did see some deer in the middle of the day when I was looking around, along w/ hog and turkey sign. The hills of the property makes it look like Arkansas or Tennessee and I really enjoyed riding the place. It is balanced very well on creek bottoms and pine thickets and should be a good place. The club rules have NOT been finalized, but here are a few sticking points. Rule one is, we want minimal rules. Basically, I don't want to ruin the place by having a bunch of BS and have to carry a notebook to shoot something. Be safe, follow LDWF rules/regs and we are off to a good start. Membership will include entire family at home, as well as kids in military, but not living at home (college also). We are hoping to find some guys that will want to have "club"stands so you are not stuck looking at the same trees with the same squirrles all year long. If it works out, we will come up with a system to draw for stand sites to keep it fair.

We are looking for 15-20 members and depending how many we get will determine how much we pay. I can tell you it will be in the $750/year range and we will need the money in the next two weeks. The property is open for inspection this weekend and I can email a map. I am also finalizing a seperate arrangment for a camping area that will have water, electric, and sewer.

If you are serious about learning more, send me a PM. I will be leaving for a dove hunt on Friday morning in South Tx, but I can email before then so make sure you leave me a email address for the PDF. I will hopefully have enough interest to host a supper or at the least a meeting somewhere so we can finalize plans for this club.

And by the way, when the guy called me, I had to come up with a name right there on the spot. He was filling out the contract to mail to me while I was on the phone, so I had to think fast. I almost named it "SaltyCajun Hunting Club" but didn't want to get sued for copyright stuff! So I followed my Italian heritage and named it Dago Hunting Club!
Old 09-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

FFF.....I drove down Hwy 473 last week. Nice looking area. I saw a Doe and fawn not too far from there about 11 AM.

FYI......for anyone going to see this land. When you get to Hornbeck, look for the Hwy sign that says.....Hwy 392, turn west on it and Hwy 473 will be about 2 miles down this road.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,534

my back yard..... i would be in... $750/yr.... kinda outta my price range.... maybe next year...
Old 09-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 913

Hey Fin I am interested for next year if there are any openings. I have a tractor with front end loader, bushog and a plow. I am in a club now that I would love to get out of and what you are trying to start sounds like what i am looking for. I want to hunt without controversy.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:07 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by whunter29 View Post
Hey Fin I am interested for next year if there are any openings. I have a tractor with front end loader, bushog and a plow. I am in a club now that I would love to get out of and what you are trying to start sounds like what i am looking for. I want to hunt without controversy.
It sucks that this thing came together so late in the year, which puts me in the same boat as you. I have 3 box stands and feeders on another lease ready to go, but I am ready for a different scene. I will eat my entry fee this year just to have this place ready for next year. It will also give me two places to hunt this year, especially for turkey!
Old 09-18-2009, 08:02 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 685

I PM'd you leyt me know the details. As i said next year would be better for me also.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:20 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 600

Whunter29 ,i agree with the "hunt Without Controversy"! I was on a hunting club in Anacoco,La. I was booted off cause the Presidents girlfriend ran off with another leaser!! And he kept my $650!!!!! And We did not get to hunt!!! I only met him 4 times,& he called me his friend, & said i should have told him!! Well that was none of my concern!! He booted off 2 other members & Kept their money too! WE broke no rules! I didn't see in the rules where we had to babysit the presidents girlfriend or to be freinds!! He also called & cussed one leaser out, that leaser pressed charges & had him arrested!! I would like to hunt on a lease ,where a president dosn't think he is GOD, & to be reasonable with everyone! Every lease i was on in the past,the president liked to show & Push his authority,and act big stuff around other leasers! And To top it off, the president made it a rule not to hunt hogs ,Only during rifle season!! & if you kill a hog any other time ,you will be fined $500 CASH! The number of hogs in this area is unreal! Food plots are torn up,feeders are tore up & if it's not rifle season ,you just get to watch the hogs tare your property that you just invested money into ,to enjoy! And another thing ,he is incorperated into this lease so therefore you do not get to vote on anything & money left over is put in his pocket! One of the meetings we had he told all the leasers that if we wanted to, we could kill our limit of deer in one day!! No one has any say so, but him! I tell you he is a flaming idiot & thinks he knows everything ,in fact the timber company would love to kick him off! I know cause i talked to the timber manager! I bought a biologist hunting with me & he told me this dude has no clue on managing a hunting lease!! He also told me he will never come back with me to hunt, just to come and visit! I am sorry for griping but, I feel, No i know i was robbed & cannot stand drama in a hunting club!
Old 09-19-2009, 10:30 AM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

The burn nicks are peeing on our parade.
Old 09-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

How many members you looking for?
Old 09-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post
How many members you looking for?
Read FFF first post.........it says how many members.
Old 09-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

Sent you a pM
Old 09-20-2009, 07:32 PM
King Mackeral

Hey guys, sorry for the late response, I just returned from a dove hunt in South Tx and did not have internet service, I will be catching up on this topic in the morning!
Old 10-03-2009, 11:34 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 650
Default Looking for a Hunting Lease

Im very interested in this lease. I have been looking for a good lease to get on for a long time now but, every where I look they are not needing members. I am a avid bow hunter and I just need a place to bring my family to hunt and to enjoy the outdoors. So if you still are needing members please let me know. Email @jmorvan00@yahoo.com
Old 10-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

Finfeatherfur,

Thanks for calling me back the other day on this lease. I will not be able to join. My wife just quit her job and with me having already paid for the duck lease I don't have any more hunting funds. Maybe I can get in next year, but this year I am just going to have to hunt WMA's.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:38 PM
Great White

Cash: 1,217

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bow Hunter View Post
Im very interested in this lease. I have been looking for a good lease to get on for a long time now but, every where I look they are not needing members. I am a avid bow hunter and I just need a place to bring my family to hunt and to enjoy the outdoors. So if you still are needing members please let me know. Email @jmorvan00@yahoo.com
Send him a private message. It might work faster.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 685

I sent him one and never got anything back
Old 12-31-2009, 12:26 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfeatherfur View Post
Ok guys, here we go......pull up a chair w/ a cup of coffee, this may take awhile!

As some of you remember, I bidded on a parcel of property west of Hornbeck in lower Sabine Parish. I was not expecting t get it, but the good news is - I did! / bad news is, hunting season is close. I don't expect too much this year other than roughing it, hunting off of portable ladder stands, but I can tolerate it for one year. I was pleasantly surprised when I went look at the property to find a large amount of oaks and creek bottoms, real nice piece totalling 2612 acres. It is west of Hwy 171 off of Hwy 473 and was last know as Hornbeck Hunting Club.

Here's my wish list:

I want to start a club with a group of good guys that can get along and build this into a nice place to be with the family. If you are looking for a place to go for the weekend to get drunk, raise hell, and take your girlfriend while momma is at home w/ the kids, then this is not for you. If you want to join a club where we like to shoot animals, cook a good meal, watch a little LSU football and drink some beer with the family, then we can talk.

I have a couple of old members from the old club that want to continue to hunt there, one of which is a state trooper, so it must be decent. I did see some deer in the middle of the day when I was looking around, along w/ hog and turkey sign. The hills of the property makes it look like Arkansas or Tennessee and I really enjoyed riding the place. It is balanced very well on creek bottoms and pine thickets and should be a good place. The club rules have NOT been finalized, but here are a few sticking points. Rule one is, we want minimal rules. Basically, I don't want to ruin the place by having a bunch of BS and have to carry a notebook to shoot something. Be safe, follow LDWF rules/regs and we are off to a good start. Membership will include entire family at home, as well as kids in military, but not living at home (college also). We are hoping to find some guys that will want to have "club"stands so you are not stuck looking at the same trees with the same squirrles all year long. If it works out, we will come up with a system to draw for stand sites to keep it fair.

We are looking for 15-20 members and depending how many we get will determine how much we pay. I can tell you it will be in the $750/year range and we will need the money in the next two weeks. The property is open for inspection this weekend and I can email a map. I am also finalizing a seperate arrangment for a camping area that will have water, electric, and sewer.

If you are serious about learning more, send me a PM. I will be leaving for a dove hunt on Friday morning in South Tx, but I can email before then so make sure you leave me a email address for the PDF. I will hopefully have enough interest to host a supper or at the least a meeting somewhere so we can finalize plans for this club.

And by the way, when the guy called me, I had to come up with a name right there on the spot. He was filling out the contract to mail to me while I was on the phone, so I had to think fast. I almost named it "SaltyCajun Hunting Club" but didn't want to get sued for copyright stuff! So I followed my Italian heritage and named it Dago Hunting Club!
how are things coming along with your new club? any memberships left? pm any info you have to share.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:12 AM
King Mackeral

Apparrently I did not pass the info out in a timely fashion. At the time I placed my bid w/ the timber company, I felt I could get the members together to cover the $15K.

Unfortunately, being late October, most guys said they didn't want to pony up the money so late in the year, I already found a place to hunt, my wife says we need the money for Christmas, etc.,etc.etc.etc.etc........

Thus, I canceled the lease with the timber company since I did not want to end up in divorce court pulling $15K out of savings to cover the lease. So as it stands right now, I am still looking for property to have for the 2010-2011 season. If I find something and need members I will post here on SC.

Additionally, the locals were truthful and told us that the other locals liked the property alot, and I still can't figure out why we have trespass laws in this state if they are not enforced. But that discussion is for another day!