SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlestackle.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 05-25-2012, 08:43 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464
Default Tunnel question

I finally got a chance to run my boat and noticed a few things I am not sure about since this is my first true tunnel hull. First thing is how important is venting and how much does it help also is a blade in the tunnel nesacery orwhat's its benefits, I have the motor lowered all the way and it looks like its getting good water but I am also getting a lot of spray but the cavitaion plate is about one inch out of water.... thanks for tips and if anyone is interested in running it and helping me set I will accept the help.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

I think the blade just helps with keeping grass off your foot and maybe help you if you run across underwater obstructions. Jmo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,396

I dont know if this is true but I read in some cases venting gaimed around 1000 rpm and 5mph. But every boat is different. Also it said that a non vented tunnel creates a suction and creates drag and sucks the boat down a little lower. I dont know if that is true or not. Venting the tunnel breaks the suction and reduces drag. I believe people were venting the tunnel running in shallow water and then closing the vent running in a chop helping keep the boat down. This is just what I remember reading when I was looking at a tunnel hull. Whether its true or not I dont know
Old 05-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,339

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegr8cody View Post
I dont know if this is true but I read in some cases venting gaimed around 1000 rpm and 5mph. But every boat is different. Also it said that a non vented tunnel creates a suction and creates drag and sucks the boat down a little lower. I dont know if that is true or not. Venting the tunnel breaks the suction and reduces drag. I believe people were venting the tunnel running in shallow water and then closing the vent running in a chop helping keep the boat down. This is just what I remember reading when I was looking at a tunnel hull. Whether its true or not I dont know
I believe this is correct also.
Old 05-25-2012, 11:17 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

You will notice a gain in rpm with a vented tunnel. If there is a valve, when you open it you can actually feel the back rise as the suction is broke. I wouldn't worry with a knife in the tunnel, I rarely had to clear my mega. If you don't have power trim binding the motor down, when you feel that grass is messing up your rpm or plugs up your water pump, just let all the way off and push hard down on the tiller handle and the motor comes out the water and slings anything off. Then get back on the throttle. This can be done without coming off step while running across shallow flats
Old 05-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

I do have power trim, is it normal for the cavitation plate to be so high out the water?
Old 05-25-2012, 12:54 PM
Red Snapper

Yea mine was pretty high. As long as your not blowing out on turns your good. If it blows out, cup your prop a little
Old 05-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Red Snapper

Also, my buddy has a tunnel and his cavitation plate is even with the water when the boat is just sitting in the water. He has a lot of cup
Old 05-25-2012, 05:08 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,054

What prop do you have ?

Hydro