SaltyCajun.com http://www.lmcboats.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-07-2012, 03:36 PM
"W"'s Avatar
"W" "W" is offline
Catch fish in DA face!!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Big Lake LA
Posts: 32,974
Cash: 7,629
Default Mad People today

Didn't get on water till 9 am....due to issues...

Boats were stacked at landing...I asked what yall doing



Weirs Closed.........
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-07-2012, 03:41 PM
FREON FREON is offline
Tripletail
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas
Posts: 546
Cash: 533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Didn't get on water till 9 am....due to issues...

Boats were stacked at landing...I asked what yall doing



Weirs Closed.........
Issues???? Is dat what U call changing diapers?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-07-2012, 04:31 PM
CaptSI CaptSI is offline
Flounder
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lake Charles
Posts: 39
Cash: 351
Default

hopefully it will keep the anchor chunkers off the lake this weekend
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Salty's Avatar
Salty Salty is offline
Great White
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: LA
Posts: 25,447
Cash: 3,191
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
Didn't get on water till 9 am....due to having to study for the captain's test that Salty forced me into Saturday....

Boats were stacked at landing...I asked what yall doing



Weirs Closed.........
Geaux get 'em, Chief.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-07-2012, 05:02 PM
mriguy's Avatar
mriguy mriguy is offline
Sailfish
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Barber Spur, LA
Posts: 5,005
Cash: 4,996
Default

Actually......






They were waiting for you to arrive so they could follow.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-07-2012, 05:05 PM
"W"'s Avatar
"W" "W" is offline
Catch fish in DA face!!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Big Lake LA
Posts: 32,974
Cash: 7,629
Default

Some mad peeps....wasted all that gas when they could of called
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-07-2012, 11:33 PM
ScubaLatt's Avatar
ScubaLatt ScubaLatt is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Moss Bluff
Posts: 2,268
Cash: 2,664
Default

why r they closed? I didn't think they closed during the summer?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-08-2012, 12:09 AM
Gerald Gerald is offline
Sailfish
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lake Charles / Moss Bluff
Posts: 4,637
Cash: 3,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaLatt View Post
why r they closed? I didn't think they closed during the summer?
They are trying to control the salinity back in the marsh. Back this spring Big Lake water was very low salinity so they left the gate at Grand Bayou wier open.

Now that the lake water is saltier, they don't want "lake water" to go back into the marsh unless the marsh water is below a certain salinity.

I guess it has not rained in that area and the salinity got up to the "target" maximum level so the gate was closed.

If it rains in that area, the gate might open back up for a while.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-08-2012, 06:46 AM
"W"'s Avatar
"W" "W" is offline
Catch fish in DA face!!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Big Lake LA
Posts: 32,974
Cash: 7,629
Default

Closing the weirs will affect the lake and keeping them closed over a long peoird of time will change the lakes habitat
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-08-2012, 07:55 AM
Smalls Smalls is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Central LA
Posts: 2,822
Cash: 3,748
Default

Not closing the weirs will further degrade that marsh because the salinities get too high back in there and it kills the marsh. That marsh back there is not supposed to have a salinity reading of 28 ppt, which it did for several months last year. That is not healthy for the marsh and it will kill the grass back there, just creating more mudflats and eventually, more open water.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-08-2012, 08:35 AM
toodeep toodeep is offline
Trophy Trout
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: raceland
Posts: 299
Cash: 749
Default

heard they were open but there were pipes in the opening going threw. rumor i heard was someone was caught in there at nite.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Smalls Smalls is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Central LA
Posts: 2,822
Cash: 3,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toodeep View Post
heard they were open but there were pipes in the opening going threw. rumor i heard was someone was caught in there at nite.
Not a rumor. They caught 3 guys in there shrimping with a trawl at night. Not good for those guys, they could drop the hammer on them if they wanted to. Violated federal law by being on a refuge after sunset.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-08-2012, 08:57 AM
toodeep toodeep is offline
Trophy Trout
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: raceland
Posts: 299
Cash: 749
Default

ouch
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 06-08-2012, 09:21 AM
SULPHITE's Avatar
SULPHITE SULPHITE is offline
Entering A World of Pain
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Sulphur
Posts: 10,287
Cash: 8,495
Default

SHIP CHANNEL...theres your problem

never going away...so its weirs or no marsh...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-08-2012, 09:27 AM
"W"'s Avatar
"W" "W" is offline
Catch fish in DA face!!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Big Lake LA
Posts: 32,974
Cash: 7,629
Default

That marsh survived years with out weirs
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 06-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Duck Butter's Avatar
Duck Butter Duck Butter is offline
Ling
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Central La
Posts: 3,903
Cash: 2,967
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by "W" View Post
That marsh survived years with out weirs
Freshwater/Brackish vegetation can survive for a little while, but if salinity stays up, the plants die, and more salt tolerant plants move in which aren't generally as desirable of plants.


Fill in the ship channel or bust!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-08-2012, 09:41 AM
YellowMouth7's Avatar
YellowMouth7 YellowMouth7 is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Lafayette, La
Posts: 2,339
Cash: 3,307
Default

My friend I was with when we caught all those big trout last weekend called the 1800 # yesterday at spoke to a Ladie who said they closed grand bayou due to an "Over population" of game fish in the reserve due to hi salinity levels. What y'all make of tgat
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-08-2012, 10:03 AM
Smalls Smalls is offline
King Mackeral
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Central LA
Posts: 2,822
Cash: 3,748
Default

Well i'll tell you that's a BS reason. They closed it because of high salinities, not an "over population of game fish". The weirs are operated the way they are today to maintain that marsh as best as possible. It will never be what it was because of the ship channel and increased salinities to the entire system. People who do not have an eye for wetland vegetation will say a marsh is a marsh is a marsh. Well that is simply not true. That marsh there, as well as the majority of the marshes in south Louisiana, were historically fresh marsh. Today they exist, if you're lucky, as intermediate to brackish marshes, but close to the lake, those are often salt marsh.

Now there is not much you can do to remedy that. That is the repercussions of human influence on the environment.

I wouldn't necessarily say that salt marsh species aren't as desirable, but salt marshes aren't as diverse as fresh or even brackish marshes. You have a wider range of salt tolerance, but a major decrease in species, which means once you hit that salinity threshold (which is quite high for some species; 50 ppt for some strains of Spartina alterniflora, or oyster grass or smooth cordgrass for some), you lose everything.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-08-2012, 10:12 AM
"W"'s Avatar
"W" "W" is offline
Catch fish in DA face!!
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Big Lake LA
Posts: 32,974
Cash: 7,629
Default

Now that its closed....the weirs were producing limits of trout everyday If you knew how to fish them there..(big trick) is knowing the few holes to throw in

There was a 9lber and I know of 12-18 trout over 7lbs
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-08-2012, 10:12 AM
Duck Butter's Avatar
Duck Butter Duck Butter is offline
Ling
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: South Central La
Posts: 3,903
Cash: 2,967
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Well i'll tell you that's a BS reason. They closed it because of high salinities, not an "over population of game fish". The weirs are operated the way they are today to maintain that marsh as best as possible. It will never be what it was because of the ship channel and increased salinities to the entire system. People who do not have an eye for wetland vegetation will say a marsh is a marsh is a marsh. Well that is simply not true. That marsh there, as well as the majority of the marshes in south Louisiana, were historically fresh marsh. Today they exist, if you're lucky, as intermediate to brackish marshes, but close to the lake, those are often salt marsh.

Now there is not much you can do to remedy that. That is the repercussions of human influence on the environment.

I wouldn't necessarily say that salt marsh species aren't as desirable, but salt marshes aren't as diverse as fresh or even brackish marshes. You have a wider range of salt tolerance, but a major decrease in species, which means once you hit that salinity threshold (which is quite high for some species; 50 ppt for some strains of Spartina alterniflora, or oyster grass or smooth cordgrass for some), you lose everything.
You are correct, I should have said desirable for ducks, they like a little diversity and saltmarshes just don't have the diversity of a freshwater/brackish system.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:46 PM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - [ARG:3 UNDEFINED], Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors
vBCredits v1.4 Copyright ©2007 - 2008, PixelFX Studios
SaltyCajun.com logo provided by Bryce Risher

All content, images, designs, and logos are Copyright © 2009-2012,
Salty Cajun, LLC
No unathorized use is permitted
Geo Visitors Map