SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Offshore Fishing Discussion

Offshore Fishing Discussion Discuss everything bluewater from pelagics to reef fish here!

Old 07-06-2012, 08:34 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,628
Default Mississippi opposes Louisiana expanding state waters

Found this article and was wondering what the thoughts of you who fish offshore would be on this subject.

BILOXI, Miss. — The state of Mississippi will oppose Louisiana’s effort to extend its state water boundaries out to 10.4 miles.
The Mississippi Commission on Marine Resources unanimously passed a resolution Monday opposing Louisiana’s plan.
In June, the Louisiana Wildlife and Fisheries Commission in June voted to extend state waters from the current 3 miles out to 10.4 miles into what is now federal waters.
Louisiana officials said the Legislature got them authority to extend waters in a 2011 law. However, the law provided that no extension would take effect until recognized by Congress or approved in litigation.
Louisiana and Mississippi’s state waters extend only 3 miles beyond their islands. Other Gulf of Mexico states’ waters extend about 9 or 10 miles south.
Mississippi Department of Marine Resources Director Bill Walker said he doubts Louisiana will be successful.
“I don’t think there’s a chance of Congress approving it,” Walker said. “Only Congress can provide federal waters to a state, or the courts.”
Nonetheless, Mississippi charter boat operators and recreational fishermen were upset.
“We would lose 30 (percent) to 40 percent of the area we fish,” said Jay Trochesset, captain of the Silver Dollar III charter boat.
Trochesset said large Mississippi charter boats would have to pay about $2,000 a year to fish in Louisiana waters, which could block Mississippi from federal water.
On top of that, he said, Louisiana would require that everyone on a charter have a Louisiana license. He said this would be prohibitively expensive and an administrative nightmare for charter operations.
Mississippi recreational fishermen would also have to get a Louisiana license for areas south of Mississippi waters that are now federal.
Trochesset said he believes Louisiana is responding to tougher federal fishing regulations, such as strict limits and short seasons placed on red snapper.
“There’s no reason to shorten the season,” Tochesset said. “I’ve been running charters on my own for 39 years, plus seven years before that with my father. There are more snapper out there today in the Gulf of Mexico than ever before.”

Old 07-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

They have been fishing west for a gazilllion years.........
bottom line to me is they are "opposing" it to help build an easier case for the feds to disallow.
Same with the damn hunting liscense deal with these guys.
no resiprosity ...........

Mississippi has no problem sticking it in Louisiana hunters hunting MS land, yet are crying like a little girl when we want fishing liscenses from thier guys??
Old 07-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

They mad. I'm gettin sick of all the cry babies in this country.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:03 AM
Ling

Cash: 1,584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
They mad. I'm gettin sick of all the cry babies in this country.
Everyone is out for themselves............

Like all the dang on BL fisherman.......LOL
Old 07-06-2012, 09:05 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

If they want more water they need to extend their waters and quit worrying about us.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:11 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Dawg View Post
If they want more water they need to extend their waters and quit worrying about us.
X2
Old 07-06-2012, 09:15 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 9,890

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG RED 1983 View Post
X2

X3
Old 07-09-2012, 08:22 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 8,726

Most shore line states in the country have 9-12 miles out. Being from New England waters I was surprised when I heard La. only had 3 miles. I never realised Miss only had 3 miles also. Both states should have more waters. The fact that there is a corner, instead of a straight line out, puts a dark area in the mix. They may have to set up a reciprical license area.