SaltyCajun.com http://www.lakecharlesurgentcare.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-23-2009, 03:09 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 894
Default Houseboat info needed

I guess this is the right place for this.I am getting ready to build a houseboat and would like some info.I know some of you I am sure have one and would like to hear what you like or dislike and what you would do different.I will be using 55gallon plastic drums and it will be approximately 30x15.Some pics would be great!Thanks in advance!
Old 09-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Redfish

Cash: 667

This is a cool looking house boat, And some funny characters as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RaFApVP0zU
Old 09-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Redfish

Cash: 636

I am on my second houseboat. I have learned a lot since when I bought my first one. If you do anything DONT USE 55 GALLON DRUMS UNLESS THEY ARE FOAM FILLED. my first houseboat had nothing but 55 gallon drums under it. One late night i made a trip to the houseboat only to find that 2 drums had somehow popped and one side of the houseboat almost in water. It was 1 oclock in the morning and i was trying to sleep on one side so the other would not go in the water. After that I got some big styrofoam blocks and shoved them under the bottom. CANT POP STYROFOAM. I would suggest if your going to go with drums then on all the corners put some styrofoam just in case. You can buy styrofoam at the store in peirre part. the living part of my new houseboat sits on a steel barge but the porch floats on styrofoam and it does great. If you have any questions just shoot me a email. hope it helps.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:07 PM
The Camp Cook....

Cash: 13,856

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

That was cool....Thanks for sharing.....
Old 09-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

Not sure whats wrong but I cant view it right now.I will check it out when I can.Thanks
Old 09-23-2009, 08:18 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpuldo View Post
I am on my second houseboat. I have learned a lot since when I bought my first one. If you do anything DONT USE 55 GALLON DRUMS UNLESS THEY ARE FOAM FILLED. my first houseboat had nothing but 55 gallon drums under it. One late night i made a trip to the houseboat only to find that 2 drums had somehow popped and one side of the houseboat almost in water. It was 1 oclock in the morning and i was trying to sleep on one side so the other would not go in the water. After that I got some big styrofoam blocks and shoved them under the bottom. CANT POP STYROFOAM. I would suggest if your going to go with drums then on all the corners put some styrofoam just in case. You can buy styrofoam at the store in peirre part. the living part of my new houseboat sits on a steel barge but the porch floats on styrofoam and it does great. If you have any questions just shoot me a email. hope it helps.
I know that drums can be a pain and I have seen them with styrofaom I was just worried about gas eating it up.Also I already have most of the drums.I would really like to find some big pontoons or a barge.I do fiberglass work for a living and thought about building a set but it would still be costly!
Old 09-23-2009, 08:22 PM
Redfish

When i went with the syrofoam I had a buddy tell me about the gas. The only way that would affect the it is if I were to sit there and pour gas on it. The generator I have sits on the back of the porch and there is a floor so there would be no way for the gas to reach the styrofoam. You can get a couple of big chuncks of styrofoam and be done with it. just a idea.
Old 09-23-2009, 08:48 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpuldo View Post
When i went with the syrofoam I had a buddy tell me about the gas. The only way that would affect the it is if I were to sit there and pour gas on it. The generator I have sits on the back of the porch and there is a floor so there would be no way for the gas to reach the styrofoam. You can get a couple of big chuncks of styrofoam and be done with it. just a idea.
Yea I think your right!Any idea of where and how much?
Old 09-23-2009, 09:01 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 887

Bird Dog .. if you wanted to use pontoons, you might want to check out
http://u-fabboats.com/
Old 09-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Redfish

i think last time i check a 2x2x 15 or 20 was 200 bucks. If you get 2 20 foot sections and have them cut it up you should have plenty to go along with your barrels. I could be wrong about the price its been a while
Old 09-24-2009, 12:22 AM
Trophy Trout

Thats not bad at all,I am sure it has gone up with inflation but still.Thanks for your help!