SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:36 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535
Default Where to Buy a Safe

I live in Deridder and I need to buy a gun safe. I am not sure if there are any places in Derrider or Leesville that sell them. Can anybody recommend a place in Lake Charles? I need to have it delivered and set up.

I have laminate floors, do I need to put down some type of cushion or matt under the safe to protect the floors?

Dan
Old 07-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
I live in Deridder and I need to buy a gun safe. I am not sure if there are any places in Derrider or Leesville that sell them. Can anybody recommend a place in Lake Charles? I need to have it delivered and set up.

I have laminate floors, do I need to put down some type of cushion or matt under the safe to protect the floors?

Dan
Pm dink he sells safes in Lafayette I'm sure he could at least tell you what you need. LaFleur's lock and safe is the name of his company
Old 07-21-2012, 11:37 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
Pm dink he sells safes in Lafayette I'm sure he could at least tell you what you need. LaFleur's lock and safe is the name of his company
X2
Old 07-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Swordfish

They also have a few at tractor supply in moss bluff
Old 07-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 909

Are you wanting a gun safe to protect your valuable guns from criminals or a home security cabinet to keep the kiddos away from your guns?

If you want something to keep your guns away from criminals you can rule out most of the gun "Safes" on the market, most can be opened in less than a minute with hand tools. If you are not going to bolt it to the floor, at least bolt it to the wall. If you can get a safe on its back it makes it that much easier to open. If you want something secure look for something where they stop talking about their body's being X gauge steel and start talking about their body's being 1/4" or 1/2" steel. These look interesting, I have wanted to see one up close ever since I saw their website. http://sportsmansteelsafes.com/index.htm

Sturdy safe has a cult following, but I think their are better options out there.

Amsec rated safes are the real deal

Brown safes are good to go also.

If you don't need to store long guns and only hand guns there is a seller on ebay that sells refurbished diebold safes for $600 or so, they are 1/2" thick at all dimensions, something that would have been used as a jewelry safe or cash safe for a business. They are decent sized, will hold plenty of handguns and I am pretty sure they would pass the 30 minute test with power tools (One of the safe ratings) but I think they were made before the new testing methods were created.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:05 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Most of your gunsafes sold at places like academy are RSC rated, Residential Security. They can be opened by a professional with minimal tools in a matter of minutes, but we're talkin about a real box jockey. 90% of firearm thefts are "smash and grab" type break ins, break a window, grab the blu ray and the closet guns and they're gone. For this type of theft, those safes are plenty.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,170

I bought the top of the line Browning form Cabela's about a year later the key pad malfunction, I called Browning they sent me a skeleton key and directions on how to open the safe .... took all of 10 seconds....my frecking jaw hit the ground!!!! Safes are for honest people, unless you buy commercial type safe, lucky for me I found out the easy way!!!!!!!
Old 07-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Red Snapper

I am really just trying to keep the kids safe and keep my guns out of the closet. I don't want to spend thousands trying to keep a professional out.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:54 PM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post
I am really just trying to keep the kids safe and keep my guns out of the closet. I don't want to spend thousands trying to keep a professional out.
Liberty is a good buy in that Category. Richies pawn and gun out of Mississippi does a few truckload sales a year and has really good prices when they do them, even when delivery is factored in.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:04 PM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

Got mine from Dink and like the safe. Good people to deal with for sure!
Old 07-21-2012, 09:38 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,296

If your not looking for a fire proof safe, just go to Academy and buy the cheap model to keep your kids safe. If your looking for a fireproof safe and a safe to keep vandals out, buy a good safe.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,467

I second tractor supply. The cannon safes are great and affordable too. They are usually on sale too.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:32 AM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

I think the level of safe you buy should be determined by how much money you have in gun worth I have a few pistols and shotguns and $1200 isn't too much to keep them from getting stolen or lost. but if you just got a pistol or two and a couple cheaper shotguns buy a smaller safe thats the cost of a pistol to keep it safe and secure. plus if you got a few rifles with hi end scopes, pistols, shotguns buy a safe big enough to add to your collection if your still expanding it. I look at the cost of a safe and the cost of guns and its a no brainer, gun safes should be in every hunter's home in America!
Old 07-22-2012, 01:46 AM
Trophy Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPfishnTIM View Post
I think the level of safe you buy should be determined by how much money you have in gun worth I have a few pistols and shotguns and $1200 isn't too much to keep them from getting stolen or lost. but if you just got a pistol or two and a couple cheaper shotguns buy a smaller safe thats the cost of a pistol to keep it safe and secure. plus if you got a few rifles with hi end scopes, pistols, shotguns buy a safe big enough to add to your collection if your still expanding it. I look at the cost of a safe and the cost of guns and its a no brainer, gun safes should be in every hunter's home in America!
Have a business where a pistol is a tax deduction, you get quite the collection going, funny how rifles keep coming too, too bad rifles don't need holsters.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Red Snapper

I do have quite a few high end guns, browning, winchester, Kimber, weatherby etc. I was just thinking that your average thief wouldn't be able to get into your average safe and I could keep the kids safe too.
Old 07-22-2012, 03:37 PM
Trophy Trout

Just an FYI, if you get an NRA membership it includes $2500 worth of insurance for your guns, you just have to activate the insurance, considering you get get memberships for free, $20 or $30 a year depending on how you obtain it its a pretty good deal. It even covers bows, right down to the arrows. I hear they are pretty good about paying out and don't give much trouble.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Swordfish

Where the heck is Dink? He is the resident safe guy.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:15 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,010

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPfishnTIM View Post

I second this suggestion. I have been to fires where people had these nice wood gun cabinets and all their guns were ruined. This one fire I was at, the man had a fire proof gun safe which was within 10 feet of where the fire started and the only thing wrong with the safe was he had to change the battery on the key pad and guess where the numbers were. He changed the batteries before we wrapped up and opened the safe to my amazement the guns and papers he had in the safe were unharmed.

I spent the money and got me a fire proof gun safe.

Warren
Old 07-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

I don't have any guns worth a fortune but when I build my new house I am buying a good fire proof/resistant safe big enuff for guns plus all my papers and personal info I want kept safe..... that's something to keep in mind beyond just your guns because when I was 5 our house burned and there is no pics of me, my sister or rest of my fam from before that point.
Old 07-22-2012, 10:31 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Is Tim still doing Lock & Safe work??

I thought he started doing industrial "testing" work now. Maybe he is doing both now.