SaltyCajun.com http://www.gclendingservices.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 09-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182
Default Testing for Ethanol in gasoline

Does anyone have any experience with testing gasoline to see if it contains Ethanol?

I am thinking of getting some kind of test "kit" to check the gas where I buy for the boat and lawn mowers.

It looks like there are some kits that only cost about $ 20, but I wonder if they give reliable results. Some of the test are where you put a drop of test chemical in a small sample and if it turns blue (?) it has Ethanol in it.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:33 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,781

Just put an additive in it like StarTron. I always add it to my gas and I never have problems running E10 through my outboard.
Old 09-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 713

In reality, you will never find ethanol "free" gasoline. It may only be a trace, but, it will never again be totally free of ethanol. There is no special fleet of tanker trucks that haul ethanol free gasoline. They may haul a load of E10 this morning then haul a tanker load of "ethanol free" this afternoon. There will be residual left in the tanker from this morning. Well, guess what, that residual is mixed with the "ethanol free" and you then have ethanol tainted fuel.

StarTron, 1 ounce per 16 gallons of fuel. WalMart in the boating section.
D
Old 09-26-2012, 04:27 PM
BIG MOUTH BASS!

Cash: 5,913

there is another thread on this! look it up there is ways to test without buying a kit. but the easiest way is with the chemical drops.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:35 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,296

Not sure if your right about that. I retired 42 years in CITGO refinery lab and in charge of instruments checking ethanol specs in our gas. When it leaves the plant it will be free of ethanol, and I believe the tankers are dedicated to ethanol or ethanol free gas. However, if they are able to cross fill the tanks in the trucks, if it previously had ethanol gas, and the tank was empty, and refilled with ethanol free gas, the amount of ethanol left would be so small it would hardly register on one of the test kits. The spec for ethanol gas is 10% ethanol added to the gas, can't be less, but can be a little more, but u loose profit by adding over spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-26-2012, 07:31 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,505

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyI View Post
Not sure if your right about that. I retired 42 years in CITGO refinery lab and in charge of instruments checking ethanol specs in our gas. When it leaves the plant it will be free of ethanol, and I believe the tankers are dedicated to ethanol or ethanol free gas. However, if they are able to cross fill the tanks in the trucks, if it previously had ethanol gas, and the tank was empty, and refilled with ethanol free gas, the amount of ethanol left would be so small it would hardly register on one of the test kits. The spec for ethanol gas is 10% ethanol added to the gas, can't be less, but can be a little more, but u loose profit by adding over spec.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When I hauled fuel we used the same trailers for both. Like you said there is do little left in the tank that it doesn't make a difference.

Sent from my stupid iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-27-2012, 12:02 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Danny..... When I read the info on the test kit, it said that it would "change" color if there was ANY Ethanol in the sample. My concern is would the "test" show positive for very small amounts of Ethanol?

Note: I have considerable experience running titration test.

Example:

1/2 gallon of 10% Ethanol fuel left in a 10,000 gallon tank of gasoline.

That is 50 ppm of a 10 % mixture. So that would be 5 ppm of Ethanol in the sample.

Question...... would that be enough to make the color change and show a positive? Maybe 1 drop would make the color change on very small amounts of Ethanol and it would take several drops to make the color change in 10% Ethanol fuel.

I also, I don't think the "Test Kit" instructions said anything about sample size which would make some difference.

I would guess that 5 ppm amount of Ethanol would not hurt an outboard engine.