SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926
Default work smart, sharpening

Know a few of you guys have them.
A. How do you keep from roleing the tip?
B. Should I start with the green belts, or the red one's ? Ask cause have worn 2 reds and 2 purple one's out.
C. On your hunting knives do ya'll use the outdoor "guide" or the kitchen "guide". I Can get my knives sharp but they don't last long. I know hogs are hard on them anyway. Just looking for yalls thoughts/experience's.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:53 PM
Flounder

Cash: 660

start with the coarse belt and work your way to the fine belt. As far as the guide you kinda have to play with it. It is best to use the guide that best fits the factory edge (less work than putting a new edge). I find the edge doesn't last that long with this sharpener but I haven't found a sharpener that will keep a razor edge on any of my knives. But that is why I still like this sharpener b/c it only takes a minute to redo it.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:00 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 975

Keeping an edge has a lot to do with what alloy and hardness of the blade. Usually the more expensive blades hold an edge longer, but not always the case.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

If you make your knife razor sharp the edge will roll real quick unless you are only cutting real soft materials.

My best edge for heavier things is when I use a "utility" edge. A razor like edge is good for shaving hair on your wrist, slashing folks and impressing buddies, but the way we use knives as outdoorsman calls for a more rough edge that will hold longer. The really sharp edge means the blade is super thin at the edge and rolls very easily. The finer you go when sharpening, the more often you will sharpen if you are actually using your knife.

I've never used the sharpener you are talking about, but keep this in mind when using any sharpener.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2013, 08:46 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,864

My wife got me this for my birthday and I sharpened every knife in my house and hunting bag. I am looking for more stuff to sharpen! I love this thing. Wish it was 12 V so it would be portable.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:58 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,128

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaLatt View Post
My wife got me this for my birthday and I sharpened every knife in my house and hunting bag. I am looking for more stuff to sharpen! I love this thing. Wish it was 12 V so it would be portable.

Get a small power inverter .
Old 03-15-2013, 10:49 PM
Red Snapper

Brew

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaLatt View Post
I got it for myself, but after 5-7 pigs just getting the backstrap out. But it's nice to have a good sharp one !
Old 03-15-2013, 10:51 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA COVE View Post
Keeping an edge has a lot to do with what alloy and hardness of the blade. Usually the more expensive blades hold an edge longer, but not always the case.
True I got some that last longer and some that wont clean one or two pigs
Old 03-16-2013, 07:41 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
Know a few of you guys have them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
A. How do you keep from roleing the tip?

I practiced on some cheap knives till I got decent them worked my up to my better knives. My best knife is a Santoku style so it mostly straight so the end didn't roll much.

B. Should I start with the green belts, or the red one's ? Ask cause have worn 2 reds and 2 purple one's out.

On the knives that were bad i started with the coarsest grit first then worked my way down. That last belt really puts an edge on it.

C. On your hunting knives do you’ll use the outdoor "guide" or the kitchen "guide". I can get my knives sharp but they don't last long. I know hogs are hard on them anyway. Just looking for yalls thoughts/experience's.

On my one skinning knife I did use the outdoor guide; it was a buck knife with a gut hook. It worked out okay.

I also find the cheaper the knife the easier it is to sharpen.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:56 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 975

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp snorkler View Post

I also find the cheaper the knife the easier it is to sharpen.
Due to it being a softer alloy. Harder alloys will take a little longer to sharpen, but will hold an edge longer..
Old 03-16-2013, 10:21 AM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,343

I am still working on keeping a point on them. Haven't got that quite figured out yet.

Once I got an edge on everything, it don't take long to touch them up
Old 03-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,710

Think it would sharpen fishing hooks?
Old 03-16-2013, 07:27 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by david79thomas View Post
Think it would sharpen fishing hooks?
Possibly but youbhave to free hand it
Old 12-05-2013, 09:00 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

I know this thread is old but I just got my work sharp in today and I'm having the same problem with rolling the tip also. Does anybody have any suggestions?
Old 12-08-2013, 11:00 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 890

The reason the point is being rounded off is because you are letting the knife go down towards the end of the sharpening cycle. Be sure you hold the up towards the end. I had the same problem with mine at first, but was lucky enough to catch a demo at the sportsman's show at the dome and the seller explained and showed me why it was happening. Just don't let the knife drop when you are getting to the end.
Also if you flip the knife upside down and pass it on the belt you can slowly bring back your point.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,343

Quote:
Originally Posted by elebouef View Post
The reason the point is being rounded off is because you are letting the knife go down towards the end of the sharpening cycle. Be sure you hold the up towards the end. I had the same problem with mine at first, but was lucky enough to catch a demo at the sportsman's show at the dome and the seller explained and showed me why it was happening. Just don't let the knife drop when you are getting to the end.
Also if you flip the knife upside down and pass it on the belt you can slowly bring back your point.
Did some research on this also. The belt "forms" around the point when you bring it all the way through. You can do as above or stop the belt when the point reaches it.
Old 12-08-2013, 03:28 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,813

Quote:
Originally Posted by elebouef View Post
I'll be sure to do this next time. Thanks for the info.