SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 05-15-2013, 05:50 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556
Default G.I. Specks

Have been looking at pics and talking to fishermen for the last month about the specks being caught in G.I.
i am really starting to worry that we are looking at a BIG crash in the speck population in the next 4- 5 years in that area.
My reasoning, Talking to fishermen that fish at least 4 times a month and They have been catching a much larger class of schooling fish this year, 2-3 lbs vs 12" - 14" . VERY FEW THROW BACKS are being caught???
I am Real worried that the spawn has been off since the oil spill and that we are going to be missing a 2- 3 year group of fish.
The actual surf wade fishing has been way off since the spill. Fish are being caught in many places, but very few 1 year 2 year fish.
I am not a biologist and have not been down there to talk to any.
Only going by observation of weekly fishermen and reports that are posted.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:18 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

I know it's a totally different area but in vermillion bay area the schooling trout are usually 2-4 pounds. Been that way since I started fishing them about 8 years ago. Not to say the oil spill did not effect them,grand isle got hit hard with oil and im sure some is still there.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

Same thing happened in Venice.
Old 05-15-2013, 06:56 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montauk17 View Post
I know it's a totally different area but in vermillion bay area the schooling trout are usually 2-4 pounds. Been that way since I started fishing them about 8 years ago. Not to say the oil spill did not effect them,grand isle got hit hard with oil and im sure some is still there.
this time of year you are usually catching 3-4 dinks to every keeper.
Places that we could usually catch dinks in the winter as fast as you can cast were void of trout .only hardheads and gaff topps.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:08 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,467

We caught plenty of dinks this winter and plenty early this spring they are there. Yah I'd say the average is bigger overall since 2010 but there is no shortage of dinks. I believe the winter time spots changed this year due to the large amounts of decaying marsh grass filling up a lot of the deeper holes from Hurricane Isaac. This past winter was one of the best ones I've seen in the last five years. I'd be willing to bet if you sit on a reef in the bay with a .35 live shrimp I'm sure you catch more dinks than you want.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:33 PM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

nothing but dinks under all the birds last week. I caught one 12.5" out of about 50 fish. I think there may be more big fish due to the fact a whole summer went unfished in those areas as a side effect of the oil spill
Old 05-15-2013, 11:39 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,139

No it's because the limit is 25 on that end of the state
Old 05-16-2013, 12:49 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,995

Lots of dinks in coco
Old 05-16-2013, 12:50 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaux fishing View Post
nothing but dinks under all the birds last week. I caught one 12.5" out of about 50 fish. I think there may be more big fish due to the fact a whole summer went unfished in those areas as a side effect of the oil spill
I agree with Meaux. I have had amazing trips will NO throw backs. My average fish so far this year has been 2#. My wife caught one almost 6. I think we are seeing the results of the lower fishing pressure the year of the spill. My question is how will the increase size effect us long term? Will we continue to get bigger fish?
Old 05-16-2013, 06:05 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by I make oil View Post
I agree with Meaux. I have had amazing trips will NO throw backs. My average fish so far this year has been 2#. My wife caught one almost 6. I think we are seeing the results of the lower fishing pressure the year of the spill. My question is how will the increase size effect us long term? Will we continue to get bigger fish?
If they do indeed get bigger then could this mean that the 25 fish limit is too high?
Old 05-16-2013, 06:10 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDave View Post
If they do indeed get bigger then could this mean that the 25 fish limit is too high?
Size shouldn't matter, population change does though.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:23 AM
Great White

Cash: 22,543

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
I caught 225 fish out of my boat last week and the weather was not favorable all week. There is no shortage of fish out there from what I saw. I had several days with no throwbacks also.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:37 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

I am not a biologist. I am just a consumer of the resource. I hope the limit is not changed. I think similar to what W has posted in the past that the reason for the smaller fish is the competition for the food is to high to allow the fish to grow to their full potential. Fewer fish means more food for the ones left which allows them to grow larger. I don't know but it makes sense to me. Why do we have bigger fish this year? I don't have a clue. I do hope it continues.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:41 AM
Ling

Cash: 5,600

You see this in ponds all the time. Water turns over. 60% of fish die. 3 years later the ones that lived are studs.
Less competition = bigger fish. My theory is that something only these lines is happening. They will always have tons of fish over there. Might be a blessing but I'm dumb and I'm purely guessing.
Old 05-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
And your saying the population went up or down? Pardon me as I'm just trying to make sure I understand correctly.