SaltyCajun.com http://www.budnmarys.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,542
Default Trash Fish Dining

Pretty interesting read.

http://news.yahoo.com/dishing-trash-...132222305.html
Old 06-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Everybody talks bad about hard heads..... check out this poll and see how many people have actually eaten one...... http://www.thehulltruth.com/gulf-coa...d-catfish.html

People go by what others say, not on what they've tried.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:23 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 826

Moved down here from north Texas...went fishing off the bank my first year and thought all catfish were the same. Kept some sail cats (didn't know the name then) I caught off the public pier down big lake road. Fried them up, not much different from channel cats. However, I won't eat them again. Don't eat much catfish anymore.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:45 AM
Ling

I would get laughed at when I first starting fishing. I would want to keep everything I caught..... I figured give it a shot and if it isn't good then start throwing them back.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:55 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,917

Went to a buddies one night to have some beers and fry fish/shrimp. He told me he had some grand chenier catfish (don't care too much for it but will eat it). The pieces were small so it wasn't too bad, but it was enough to say I wont try that again...It tasted like a bait shack smells. Now as for drum/croaker I have ate drum like redfish it tasted the same, I've heard ALOT of good things about croaker but haven't convinced myself to try it yet as I'm very picky about my fish that ill eat. I've had people with big$ tell me they would rather a good size croaker than a speck.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:56 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub View Post
Went to a buddies one night to have some beers and fry fish/shrimp. He told me he had some grand chenier catfish (don't care too much for it but will eat it). The pieces were small so it wasn't too bad, but it was enough to say I wont try that again...It tasted like a bait shack smells. Now as for drum/croaker I have ate drum like redfish it tasted the same, I've heard ALOT of good things about croaker but haven't convinced myself to try it yet as I'm very picky about my fish that ill eat. I've had people with big$ tell me they would rather a good size croaker than a speck.
I like some croaker
Old 06-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
I like some croaker
Hell yea! Bake that whole with some onions and bell peppers and you got yourself a meal padna!! Watch for the bones though.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:03 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,167

I bet most 'trash fish' have less worms than a speckled trout

Trout have lotsa worms in the meat
Old 06-14-2013, 01:32 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Gafftops are about like channel catfish, and we'll work pretty hard to catch a mess of channel cats in the 4-7 lb range. When the gafftops are biting well, it's easy to put 8-12 of 'em in the cooler, so we don't throw them back. The two important keys in preparation is 1) Cool them quickly and let the slime wear off by sloshing around in a good ice/water mix 2) Cut out all the skin, red meat, and silvery stuff that sticks even after skinning.

Hardheads can also be ok, but the fillets are smaller so it is harder to really trim out all of the red meat and silvery tissue that skinning leaves behind. These are best fried and used in po-boys with enough horseradish, mustard, and tobasco to cover up the fishy taste.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:40 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,926

it been posted before "maybe mathgeak" not sure but like 70 some +% of catfish you get at restrants are hardheads or sail cat........

I never eat fish that i dident catch and clean. Got sick one time on "fresh fish at a fry" and it had lots of bones in the few pices i got!!

Never again
Old 06-14-2013, 02:22 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy C View Post
it been posted before "maybe mathgeak" not sure but like 70 some +% of catfish you get at restrants are hardheads or sail cat........

I never eat fish that i dident catch and clean. Got sick one time on "fresh fish at a fry" and it had lots of bones in the few pices i got!!

Never again
Great point. From the moment it's caught, it's not wildlife anymore, it's food, and it needs to be taken care of as food, which means getting it on ice quickly and keeping plenty of ice in the cooler until it's cleaned. We buy 40 lbs of ice for a 100 qt ice chest, and we are careful to keep the ice on top of the fish and to dump a bag of ice out once there are plenty of fish to cover.

Care and clean facilities when cleaning fish are a must, followed by a quick trip into the zip lock bags and then into the freezer.

Cold, cold, cold. Clean, clean, clean. I'll even take a break when cleaning a mess of fish to help myself do a good job and resist the temptation to cut corners. We've watched a lot of folks clean fish at Calc Pt and a lot of guys are almost as careful as we are, but a lot of guys rush, leave fish sit in the sun, package fillets in ice bags and walmart bags, use knives of questionable cleanliness, etc.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:29 PM
Flounder

Cash: 744

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdub View Post
Now as for drum/croaker I have ate drum like redfish it tasted the same, I've heard ALOT of good things about croaker but haven't convinced myself to try it yet as I'm very picky about my fish that ill eat. I've had people with big$ tell me they would rather a good size croaker than a speck.
The meat off a black drum is a pretty, clean white meat. Not bloody like a red. However, I typically won't keep black drum that are bull red sized, as they seem much more wormier than specks.

In fact, I remember a stink a couple months ago, Don Debuc even talked about it on WWL, about some restaurants passing off black drum as redfish. I've even heard accusations of the meat being passed off as crabmeat, due to its white, flakiness.

Croaker is awesome. Scale, gut, and fry them whole like bream.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:31 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
The meat off a black drum is a pretty, clean white meat. Not bloody like a red. However, I typically won't keep black drum that are bull red sized, as they seem much more wormier than specks.

In fact, I remember a stink a couple months ago, Don Debuc even talked about it on WWL, about some restaurants passing off black drum as redfish. I've even heard accusations of the meat being passed off as crabmeat, due to its white, flakiness.

Croaker is awesome. Scale, gut, and fry them whole like bream.
The restaurant my younger brother works at passes black drum for redfish.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Ling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Great point. From the moment it's caught, it's not wildlife anymore, it's food, and it needs to be taken care of as food, which means getting it on ice quickly and keeping plenty of ice in the cooler until it's cleaned. We buy 40 lbs of ice for a 100 qt ice chest, and we are careful to keep the ice on top of the fish and to dump a bag of ice out once there are plenty of fish to cover.

Care and clean facilities when cleaning fish are a must, followed by a quick trip into the zip lock bags and then into the freezer.

Cold, cold, cold. Clean, clean, clean. I'll even take a break when cleaning a mess of fish to help myself do a good job and resist the temptation to cut corners. We've watched a lot of folks clean fish at Calc Pt and a lot of guys are almost as careful as we are, but a lot of guys rush, leave fish sit in the sun, package fillets in ice bags and walmart bags, use knives of questionable cleanliness, etc.

When I read this article, you were the first person I thought of. You always "talk" about how trash fish is just as good as any if prepared correctly.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Redfish

Cash: 978

I worked at L'auberge and spoke with one of the top chefs. He says they use black drum all the time because sometimes red fish is hard to get. He said there is absolutely no difference in taste. From my personal experience I believe thats true.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:42 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,200

Had some drum at Parrains in Baton Rouge yesterday, it was fantastic. I keep black drum under 20"
Old 06-14-2013, 03:18 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull n Pray View Post
I worked at L'auberge and spoke with one of the top chefs. He says they use black drum all the time because sometimes red fish is hard to get. He said there is absolutely no difference in taste. From my personal experience I believe thats true.

You talked to Saute?

My family has never considered puppy drum to be a trash fish. If you keep smaller redfish to eat and throw back black drum of the same size you aint cookin with the oven on.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:41 PM
Ling

I have tried a black drum on the half shell like I do with reds, and I could tell a difference more in the texture than in the taste. I really didn't care for it like that. Now I have used it in a courtbouillion and it tasted awesome. The meat held together a lot better. I was able to cook the fish in the sauce longer giving the sauce a better flavor I found.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:00 PM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pull n Pray View Post
I agree. Black drum is indistinguishable from redfish of the same length if prepared correctly. Both drum and redfish tend to get firmer as they grow and once they are bulls, the texture is closer to chicken. But well trimmed, they remain good white meat. The older black drum often require a lot of trimming for reasons that are obvious to those who have ever cleaned a black drum.

My whole family is eagerly looking forward to drum parmesan for dinner tonight, amy my daughter has eagerly taken to both trimming and preparing drum in lots of great ways. "Golden nuggets" is a family standard since the day the term was coined because of such a strong resemblance to chicken nuggets for fried drum. Drum kabobs, blackened drum, grilled drum, or just cooked in a hot pan with butter and Tony's.

We don't even label the bags any more. No one can tell the difference between drum and redfish on the table, and the difference is clear from the other stuff in the freezer.

We never do the "half shell" thing with drum or redfish or any other species. The skin itself has some off flavors as does some tissue near the skin that often needs trimming.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:09 PM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
I agree. Black drum is indistinguishable from redfish of the same length if prepared correctly. Both drum and redfish tend to get firmer as they grow and once they are bulls, the texture is closer to chicken. But well trimmed, they remain good white meat. The older black drum often require a lot of trimming for reasons that are obvious to those who have ever cleaned a black drum.

My whole family is eagerly looking forward to drum parmesan for dinner tonight, amy my daughter has eagerly taken to both trimming and preparing drum in lots of great ways. "Golden nuggets" is a family standard since the day the term was coined because of such a strong resemblance to chicken nuggets for fried drum. Drum kabobs, blackened drum, grilled drum, or just cooked in a hot pan with butter and Tony's.

We don't even label the bags any more. No one can tell the difference between drum and redfish on the table, and the difference is clear from the other stuff in the freezer.

We never do the "half shell" thing with drum or redfish or any other species. The skin itself has some off flavors as does some tissue near the skin that often needs trimming.
I give to you the Bubba Gump of black drum!