SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:00 AM
Flounder

Cash: 647
Cheers I need some advice.

I will be retiring soon, single, kids are raised and I have a bit of cash stashed. I am thinking of moving to the south for a while to hunt and fish animals that I have not experienced yet. I am a normal guy and here I hunt Elk, deer, black bear, waterfowl, grouse, quail, turkey, pigs, grey squirrels and varmints. We fish for Salmon, steelhead, trout, bass, panfish and nearshore salwater stuff out to about ten miles. California has become so politically screwed I just can't stand to live here anymore. My questions are.....

Where sholud I look to move? I think I will rent, unless I can buy a small house really cheaply. I have no problem living twenty miles out in the sticks, I actually prefer it. I have lived with no electricity and an outhouse and loved it.

How hard is it to get a concealed carry permit? I will be a retired LEO.

Is there any public land or will I need a lease in order to hunt? Is there small game hunting?

Are southerners really as polite as they seem?

Is part time work available. I think I will get bored fishing/hunting 7 days a week. I am capable of physical labor and will only be 44 when
I move. I have mechanical and welding skills as well as electrical and hydraulic. I also have three college degrees, but would prefer to work with my hands. Life is simpler when you twist wrenches.

How bad is the meth problem there. I am just wondering because here it is impossible to leave my truck at a boat launch and expect to find it intact at the end of the day.

Thank you everyone, and if you are ever in Northern Kalifornia message me and we will go kill something.
Old 07-07-2013, 04:56 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

Most of the gulf states are going to be on similar footing for all of your interests

1) Offshore fishing edge will go to florida & louisiana (area around New orleans & out into the barrier islands).

2) Inshore / brackish.... Louisiana by far with texas a distant second.

3) Freshwater Louisiana...

4) Migratory Bird hunting. Lousiana with either mississippi or texas in second place.

5) Big Game Hunting. Texas by far but your gonna pay big $$ to shoot any big game. There are many public hunting area's but public big game hunting is a different animal here compared to other places in the country. With that said there are little pockets around where you can find incredibly good whitetail hunting as long as your willing to join a hunt club (some of the hunt clubs along the mississippi river in both LA & MS come to mind, Alabama's black belt...etc) IMO save all your money on this stuff in the south, and once every year or other year take a trip somewhere and do it right.. (JUST IMO)

6) Concealed carry, dont think you will have a problem with this anywhere but Florida and possibly some of the BIG Metropolitan areas (houston, dallas, new orleans.. etc)

7) cost of living is about as cheap as it can get in LA, MS, & AL .... texas and florida not so much.

side work is gonna be a tossup on where you are, what your willing to do... etc... someone with good fabrication / welding skills will always be able to make some good stuff happen.

good luck to you, Catch a couple Ling off Catalina for all us cajuns!
Old 07-07-2013, 05:34 AM
Flounder

I've already picked Louisiana or possible South carolina. Literally all we have here is public ground so I am pretty good at dealing with the circus, And public land here is the land no one was willing to steal, so it is pretty much as steep and rocky as it gets. My secret is a mountain bike. If I get off of the road a mile. I have passed up about 90% of all the other hunters. My dream would be somewhere in the sticks where I can be alone and still have some hunting and a grocery store within an hours drive. I have more fun shooting a limit of quail than killing a deer, but I like eating deer better. Elk and bear are fun right up until you shoot one and have to pack it out two miles uphill for three days. Never shoot a bear downhill from the truck (No Handles) its like packing a three hundred pound sack of jello. I don't trophy hunt so Big Game is really just way of defining species to me.

You answered the question about politeness too. Thank you .

Oh yeah....I live way way way north of Catalina. I am about 60 miles south of Oregon on the coast. We dont really claim California. We call it the state of Jefferson.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:34 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,535

Hawgsquatch,

I am originally from S.C. and now live in Louisiana. Both states are great. You really should come here in the summer to check things out though as the humidity is not for everyone. I have lived in the south all my life but I still hate the humidity.

People are people and some are azzholes wherever you go. You have to realize that Californians are looked at with suspicion - most folks don't realize that northern CA is a pretty normal rednecky kinda place. So, be prepared for folks to take a little while to warm up to you. The folks in south Louisiana are very friendly. They are not going to tell you their secret fishing hole, but they will certainly drink a beer with you.

There is great duck hunting in in south Louisiana and lots of public ground to do it on. It's not easy hunting by any stretch - you probably have not seen mud like they have down here. The deer hunting in Louisiana can be excellent in areas and fair in others. There are lots of public areas, but they tend to get crowded.

In S.C. the duck hunting is really not that great. There are some ducks along the coast but other than that you are looking at killing some ringnecks or wood ducks. The deer hunting is probably the best in the country. Deer season starts on August 15 in the lower part of the state and runs to Jan 1st. There is no limit on buck and ten doe days where you can take two does per day. You can also buy 4 doe tags from the dept. of wildlife for $5.00 each. The deer are simply infested in this state - they are everywhere. On my brothers club consisting of 1400 acres they kill 170 deer a year, every year. There is lots of public ground to deer hunt on in S.C., and these public areas are really good. Your mountain bike tactic would easily get you to deer that have not been pressured. Most of the public ground is on huge tracts of National Forests with very little vehicle access - that is why it is not hunted that hard.

Another state I would consider, assuming you decide you can take the humidity, is Alabama. There is good saltwater fishing down around Orange beach and great deer hunting all across the state.

North Carolina is nice too. They have excellent saltwater fishing along the outer banks.

The saltwater fishing in Louisiana is by far the best in the country, it's not even a close second.

You should probably try to decide what your main priorities are. If you want saltwater fishing and waterfowl then Louisiana is hard to beat. If you really want deer then other southern states are probably better.

South Louisiana has a culture you will not find anywhere else. The cajuns are hard partying people but love their outdoors like nowhere else - hunting and fishing here is simply a way of life. The food here is outta this world. Come down and get yourself some crawfish and boudin and see for yourself.

If you decide to come to Louisiana. I am sure some of the fine folks will assist you in getting started on some redfish and speckled trout!

Good luck.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:15 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slidellkid View Post

The saltwater fishing in Louisiana is by far the best in the country, it's not even a close second.

You should probably try to decide what your main priorities are. If you want saltwater fishing and waterfowl then Louisiana is hard to beat. If you really want deer then other southern states are probably better.

South Louisiana has a culture you will not find anywhere else. The cajuns are hard partying people but love their outdoors like nowhere else - hunting and fishing here is simply a way of life. The food here is outta this world. Come down and get yourself some crawfish and boudin and see for yourself.
This is a great assessment. If you prefer to fish 50+ times a year and deer hunt 5, then move to LA. If you prefer to deer hunt 20 times an year and only go saltwater fishing a few times, you can move to a state with better deer hunting and travel to LA to fish.

Louisiana's salt water fishing really is much, much better than any other southern state.

I wouldn't worry about the meth thing. Most of the crime is centered around the metropolitan areas. Your law enforcement background will cause your senses to tingle when you enter a crime prone area. I've never had a problem parking my vehicle and trailer at any boatramp in south Louisiana. The only problem I've ever hear about was at the Sabine Pass boatramp on the Louisiana side, and the issues seemed to be with young adults and teens coming over from Texas to "party" at the boatramp on the Louisiana side. The reported problems were always at night, and were reported to be connected with booze rather than meth.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,275

Yeah... good catch about the humidity...

It's something that you should be okay with. As a general rule, expect 90+ degree days with nearly 90% humidity

It is not a dry heat down here..... it's a nice sloppy moist heat that sticks around with ya all day long.... and only reluctantly lets go after a shower and some time in the AC.

The flip side of that is that fishing & gardening are great year round.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Blue Marlin

Cash: 3,546

I don't have a great deal of time to discuss this right now but, I'm a transplant to LA as well.

The lifestyle is unlike anything you've ever encountered down here! The people are great! I can put on one hand how many people I've met here that I can honestly say that I would rather never see them again! One of the first people I came across down here put it in real simple terms for me..."If you've been here for a week and, haven't made a friend, there's something wrong with YOU!" He was ever so correct. Southern hospitality is as real or more than people realize!

Cajuns are pretty fun-loving people. They really don't need a reason to celebrate, just a place...They'll come up with a reason after a 6 pack! Oh yeah, food...The food is something out of this world!

I do MISS hunting back in Oklahoma! It was cheaper and, a lot easier so, I don't get to do as much of it anymore. The offset, however is the year-round warmer weather(yeah, it gets HOT in the summer!). Instead of blistering cold, we have cool, mild winters which makes it much more desirable to be outdoors, IMO. The offset to hunting, aside from weather, is that the fishing is off the charts down here!

Rural living, at least where I'm at(just outside of Baton Rouge) is getting harder to come by. The population has grown in this are drastically in recent years. That said, I can easily slip away and, in 20 minutes be in some sort of water way away from society which is my preference too.

I'd love to tell you more about my experiences here but, I have to go. Look in the stories and tributes section of the forum. There is a small piece in there that I wrote about my experiences here, how much I love it and, the wonderful people I've encountered! The great people outweigh the heat and humidity ten-fold!!!
Old 07-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 942

I agree with Ace Archer on just about everything. I also am a retired LEO living in LA. If money was more of a concern I would pick Texas over LA as LA is brutal on income tax and they will tax your pension for everything they can get. Texas and Florida have no income taxes and are the first choices for many retirees. I put up with the taxes (barely) because I love Louisiana and will gladly die here but everyone has to make their own decisions based on their priorities.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:19 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickLafayette View Post
I agree with Ace Archer on just about everything. I also am a retired LEO living in LA. If money was more of a concern I would pick Texas over LA as LA is brutal on income tax and they will tax your pension for everything they can get. Texas and Florida have no income taxes and are the first choices for many retirees. I put up with the taxes (barely) because I love Louisiana and will gladly die here but everyone has to make their own decisions based on their priorities.
Move to Texas and you pay those brutal property taxes. 6 of one half a dozen of another. They steal your money either way.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Flounder

WOW, I just checked out your income tax rates. You gotta be kidding me. That is about half of what I pay now. Another dollar seventy a gallon gas tax. Property taxes of 1200.00 a year on a 100,000.00 house plus a three hundred dollar school tax. Luxury taxes on any recreational vehicles or boats or atvs is assessed at 4% of the purchase price. Gun taxes are 30.00 a transaction including private transfers. My hunting and fishing licenses including tags add up to about 200.00 a year every year. I pay 20.00 to launch my boat and 10.00 to hunt on a refuge. My truck is ten years old and costs 300.00 a year for registration. Camping in the state or county campgrounds costs 25.00 a night. Six to eight bucks a day to have a picinic in a park, two bucks more for each vehicle. Whap on another 9-10 percent sales tax on everything except groceries. Rent on a three bedroom house with a quarter acre yard will run you about 18-1900 a month.

Here is the best one. They are about to pass a law that I have to be fingerprinted and pay a 50.00 tax EVERY time I buy ammo.

This is looking better all the time.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:17 PM
Blue Marlin

My friend, moving out of libtard world should be an easy transition by what you just said! I'm an ffl here and don't have to fingerprint a dang thing and the only tax I charge on ammo and, firearms is 8.5%, which is required by the state!
Old 07-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Blue Marlin

Oh yeah, my new-to-me truck only cost $900 to do the transfer, pay the excise tax and, tag it for 2 years.

Sounds like goodbye CA!
Old 07-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,296

Can't add much to what others have said about La. except, I know the expense of living in Ca is way higher than La. Especially housing. Just that and I understand you have yearly car tax, will make up difference of income tax. You will love it here and you will love the food. The only thing you may not like, Ca has some wonderful weather in Northern side, but the humidity with the summer temps will tax you when you first arrive. The only thing I suggest, stay away from large cities if you like living away from everyone. I personally don't care for large cities, so its your preference. But, yes, you will find La people are very friendly and willing to help you out on information once you decide for sure you want to move.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:45 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,216

A few things to clear up on this from someone that has lived in Kansas, Texas and Louisiana.

Texas cost of living is less than Louisiana and I know many of you will want to argue about that but go do some research and you will see I am right.

Texas is pro gun, concealed carry is fine with a permit in all cities. Do a google search of the castle doctorine, no state in the country will allow you to protect your property to the extent that Texas will.

Once you hit 65 your property taxes go down to little to nothing and insurance rates are much lower in Texas and even lower if you avoid Harris county.

I have four blinds in la and three in Texas. Texas duck hunting rivals la but it is not as popular in Texas which makes leasing much cheaper in Texas.

La saltwater inshore fishing is second to none, nobody else can come close.

You won't find a more helpful and down to earth group of people than the Cajuns in Louisiana. They are one of a kind.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:57 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 921

one thing i can say that is 1000 percent true. you will never eat better anyplace else than south louisiana.
Old 07-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Site Owner/Admin

Cash: 22,216

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopete View Post
one thing i can say that is 1000 percent true. you will never eat better anyplace else than south louisiana.
Without a doubt, well said....
Old 07-08-2013, 06:25 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

With the skills you have listed you should not have a problem finding part time work.

Fishing is best during the week.
TX has better housing, my neighbor is moving to White Oak, TX. He bought a house built in the mid 70's 3 br, 2 bath, 1.7 acres with a detached workshop for $135,000. His house here (Raceland, LA) is up for sale built in 05, 3br 2 ba 1600 sq ft on an 80x125 lot and the selling price was $201,000.

You can buy a LA Sportsman License that covers hunting and fishing, bow license, primitive arms, all gear permits, duck stamp (not federal) WMA permits for $100 yr.

If you want to big game hunt, you can do some meat hunts in TX for under $1,000 this includes a cull buck a doe and 3 pigs. I know someone who goes every year and comes back with a freezer full of meat.

Duck hunting in LA is expensive unless you want to work hard.

Public Deer hunting in LA is okay esp being retired you can beat the crowds during the week.

Every once in a while you hear something about break ins at boat launches, most of them are attended and it happens at places that aren't attended. They only charge a $5-$10 launch fee.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Redfish

Cash: 832

Everybody on here seems to be mostly spot on with their advice and assessments in my opinion. I'm from Southwest LA, but have seen most parts of the country, and I would highly suggest looking into the area. It really does offer almost everything a sportsman could want. Outstanding saltwater and freshwater fishing, duck and goose hunting, and fairly decent deer hunting with good opportunities for turkey and pig within a 45 min drive of Lake Charles, which happens to be the largest city in the area. Finding a good lease is the easiest way to ensure decent deer hunting as well as enough land to "piddle around" on during the off season. Lots of industry here, so the skills you listed should easily find you work enough to occupy your downtime. The cost of living is affordable, the food is wonderful, and the atmosphere of South Louisiana is definitely great. Even the difference from the northern part of the state compared to the southern is pronounced when it comes to the unique culture.

All that being said, Alabama does have a lot going for it too! I've just never lived there so I don't have as much advice. Good luck though on your search for a southern paradise!
Old 07-08-2013, 05:53 PM
Flounder

Thank you everyone! I am going to try and spend a week there in late August. I think if I can hack the heat then I can hack it anytime. Just booked a deer hunt for Christmas in S.C. As far as housing is concerned ,I have been surfing craigslist and I think I would rather live in a shack in the swamp than deal with another HOA ever again. I want to be able to have chickens in the yard and shoot stuff from the porch. Thanks again everyone.Now I just need to pack one more kid off to college and get to going.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:15 AM
Flounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceArcher View Post
Most of the gulf states are going to be on similar footing for all of your interests

1) Offshore fishing edge will go to florida & louisiana (area around New orleans & out into the barrier islands).

2) Inshore / brackish.... Louisiana by far with texas a distant second.

3) Freshwater Louisiana...

4) Migratory Bird hunting. Lousiana with either mississippi or texas in second place.

5) Big Game Hunting. Texas by far but your gonna pay big $$ to shoot any big game. There are many public hunting area's but public big game hunting is a different animal here compared to other places in the country. With that said there are little pockets around where you can find incredibly good whitetail hunting as long as your willing to join a hunt club (some of the hunt clubs along the mississippi river in both LA & MS come to mind, Alabama's black belt...etc) IMO save all your money on this stuff in the south, and once every year or other year take a trip somewhere and do it right.. (JUST IMO)

6) Concealed carry, dont think you will have a problem with this anywhere but Florida and possibly some of the BIG Metropolitan areas (houston, dallas, new orleans.. etc)

7) cost of living is about as cheap as it can get in LA, MS, & AL .... texas and florida not so much.

side work is gonna be a tossup on where you are, what your willing to do... etc... someone with good fabrication / welding skills will always be able to make some good stuff happen.

good luck to you, Catch a couple Ling off Catalina for all us cajuns!
I changed my avatar for you. here,s your lings. Twins even!