SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:00 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 599
Default Boat Drivers Insurance

I just got off the phone with State Farm in reference to my boating insurance. It seems that the only persons that are allowed to 'drive' my boat are the names listed on my policy as a driver. If a claim is made on my boat and it is determined that the driver was not listed on my policy, then they will not pay the claim. This includes wife, kids, brother in law, friend, etc. Before anyone is allowed as a driver, they 'check' their driving record out and the rate is adjusted accordingly. My advice: Get with your insurance agent to find out how your policy reads. If anyone knows of a better policy, let me know.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:54 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,717

Progressive's the same
Old 01-30-2014, 12:05 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

Charter lake marine insurance
Lyons insurance in lake Charles. Pm Raymond on the site
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2014, 12:47 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

ummm, its the same with cars, that's why you have the "uninsured" coverage on your policy. it not only covers the other vehicles uninsured driver but it also covers an uninsured driver using your vehicle.

add uninsured driver to your policy and it covers the other boat and your boat in case someone isn't covered under the regular policy
Old 01-30-2014, 03:08 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 1,334

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
ummm, its the same with cars, that's why you have the "uninsured" coverage on your policy. it not only covers the other vehicles uninsured driver but it also covers an uninsured driver using your vehicle.

add uninsured driver to your policy and it covers the other boat and your boat in case someone isn't covered under the regular policy
Where did you hear that news?
Uninsured motorists coverage is used when the third party doesn't have any or enough converage for bodily injury claim. It has nothing to do with someone driving a car with coverage not having insurance. Insurance stays with the car and cannot be moved around from auto to auto unless the auto you are in has no UM. You can fall back on the UM from your policy but only for you not the owner of the car without. Adding UM to any policy will not insure someone if they exclude anyone that is not listed as a driver. MVR's are run on boats just like the companies do for autos and tickets and accidents will jack your boat rates just the same, don't get me started about DUI's.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:31 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Where did you hear that news?
Uninsured motorists coverage is used when the third party doesn't have any or enough converage for bodily injury claim. It has nothing to do with someone driving a car with coverage not having insurance. Insurance stays with the car and cannot be moved around from auto to auto unless the auto you are in has no UM. You can fall back on the UM from your policy but only for you not the owner of the car without. Adding UM to any policy will not insure someone if they exclude anyone that is not listed as a driver. MVR's are run on boats just like the companies do for autos and tickets and accidents will jack your boat rates just the same, don't get me started about DUI's.
I heard it directly from directly from Dave Millet of Dave Millet Ins. Agency (certified state farm agent) when they sold me the policy.

adding UM eliminates the exclusion which is why it is called UM, also UM covers property damage, vehicle damage and medical damages not just medical.

I did not mean it covers the other boat like that, I meant it covers you in the event the other boat has no coverage, then your UM kicks in and covers your damages and medical expenses if they have no coverage of their own you can file against.

according to state farm if you have uninsured motorist coverage on your vehicle it covers all persons and vehicles involved in the accident that are not covered by their own insurance policy or have very limited coverage.

in short if you loan your truck to bubba to go get chips and dip for the big game and he gets in a wreck in your truck he has no insurance coverage and is an uninsured driver so your uninsured driver coverage protects you from the damage he causes and him suing you for medical costs if he is hurt. without uninsured coverage you would be 100% on the hook for everything and not be covered by insurance at all and have to pay everything out of your pocket.

if you loan your vehicle to someone not listed as a driver they are only covered under the uninsured motorist limits if you have UM but if your policy doesn't have UM then they are not covered

Last edited by keakar; 01-30-2014 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:30 PM
Calcasieu Extreme Rods

Cash: 13,345

No offense at all Keakar, but Raymond IS and insurance agent for Lyon's Ins. in Lake Charles.
Old 01-30-2014, 05:31 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
I heard it directly from directly from Dave Millet of Dave Millet Ins. Agency (certified state farm agent) when they sold me the policy.

adding UM eliminates the exclusion which is why it is called UM, also UM covers property damage, vehicle damage and medical damages not just medical.

I did not mean it covers the other boat like that, I meant it covers you in the event the other boat has no coverage, then your UM kicks in and covers your damages and medical expenses if they have no coverage of their own you can file against.

according to state farm if you have uninsured motorist coverage on your vehicle it covers all persons and vehicles involved in the accident that are not covered by their own insurance policy or have very limited coverage.

in short if you loan your truck to bubba to go get chips and dip for the big game and he gets in a wreck in your truck he has no insurance coverage and is an uninsured driver so your uninsured driver coverage protects you from the damage he causes and him suing you for medical costs if he is hurt. without uninsured coverage you would be 100% on the hook for everything and not be covered by insurance at all and have to pay everything out of your pocket.

if you loan your vehicle to someone not listed as a driver they are only covered under the uninsured motorist limits if you have UM but if your policy doesn't have UM then they are not covered
You might want your agent to explain UM and UMPD to you one more time because that's not exactly how it works. UM is ONLY for bodily injury in the event that he third party doesn't have enough or no liability coverage. UM doesn't pay for ANY property damage. UMPD; uninsured motorist property damage with deductible will pay for property DAMAGE ONLY if the third party has NONE. If you borrow Jude's truck to fetch some beer and wreck it the claim is ALL on his policy. Some policies forbid casual use but most A companies allow but still ding the original owners record. I haven't seen a marine policy that has UMPD but I digress.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:04 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
You might want your agent to explain UM and UMPD to you one more time because that's not exactly how it works. UM is ONLY for bodily injury in the event that he third party doesn't have enough or no liability coverage. UM doesn't pay for ANY property damage. UMPD; uninsured motorist property damage with deductible will pay for property DAMAGE ONLY if the third party has NONE. If you borrow Jude's truck to fetch some beer and wreck it the claim is ALL on his policy. Some policies forbid casual use but most A companies allow but still ding the original owners record. I haven't seen a marine policy that has UMPD but I digress.
im not going to argue insurance policy rules with you, its pointless since I am not a licensed insurance agent and obviously your policy and mine are nothing alike.

my licensed, insured, and legal representative of state farm insurance company told me I am covered and gave it to me "In writing" spelled out in the contract so that's all I need.

I know what I have, I don't know what you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchief View Post
No offense at all Keakar, but Raymond IS and insurance agent for Lyon's Ins. in Lake Charles.
non taken, but obviously the policy I have from state farm is not the same as the one he sells

now he is probably right about the property damage for the boat when its on the water because that part is not spelled out in writing and if its on the trailer its covered through the trucks UMPD.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:26 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
I haven't seen a marine policy that has UMPD but I digress.
so what are the main major differences in coverage between boats and cars?

most people wrongly assume that whatever rules and restrictions that apply to their car also applies to their boat as well.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:31 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

The marine ins. That I have is great my boat could be 5 years old and burn to the ground..
I'll get a brand new one!! Not what it's worth like regular car and home ins

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Old 01-30-2014, 08:59 PM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829
Thumbs up

Quote:

Well im with State Farm "Chris G ( cant spell his last name) from Lake Charles and he agrees with Raymond

And he is a "Certified State Farm Agent "
Old 01-30-2014, 09:14 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,763

Gaudet is a great guy! Helped him get that place rocking when he first became an agent.

Most of my money is spent on fishing, fishing tackle, & boats... The rest is wasted.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:49 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
so what are the main major differences in coverage between boats and cars?
Claims paid in autos are only actual cash value (acv), your boat policy is an acv policy (depreciated). Some boat policies are agreed value (what you paid is what you get for total loss).

most people wrongly assume that whatever rules and restrictions that apply to their car also applies to their boat as well.
You should send this thread to your agent and let him dissect it for you, I am sure y'all can get it sorted out quick,fast and in a hurry.
Your perception regarding UM/UMPD is common so don't take my post as brow beating you. If an agent can't explain what he sells he shouldn't be in business.
Ask him if you have towing both on the water and highway with no deductible, pollution coverage, personal effects, $25,000 med pay, tournament liability, vanishing deductible and agreed value?
Old 01-31-2014, 07:53 AM
Flounder

Cash: 660

The only drivers that the "Insurance Company" want on the policy are those that live in the household. Sounds like SF agents are trying to cover themselves are make more money?? Perfect example a cllient of mine caused a major accident in his mother-in-laws car in which he was not a listed driver. The insurance on the car is primary and the driver's insurance was secondary. Both or which were maxed out because of the severity of the accident but State Farm was first. Bottom line is insurance follows the car. Next time you speak with you State Farm agent ask him this, "So your telling me that unless the driver is listed I have no coverage? Then how come when someone steals my car and assuming I have comprehensive it's covered?" Bottom line is they're lieing. Call the Louisiana department of insurance and they'll tell you that if you give someone permission to drive your car then "they're" covered. Insurance follows the car. Matter of fact I bet more than half of insurance agents don't list their teenage drivers.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:37 AM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailreg View Post
The only drivers that the "Insurance Company" want on the policy are those that live in the household. Sounds like SF agents are trying to cover themselves are make more money?? Perfect example a cllient of mine caused a major accident in his mother-in-laws car in which he was not a listed driver. The insurance on the car is primary and the driver's insurance was secondary. Both or which were maxed out because of the severity of the accident but State Farm was first. Bottom line is insurance follows the car. Next time you speak with you State Farm agent ask him this, "So your telling me that unless the driver is listed I have no coverage? Then how come when someone steals my car and assuming I have comprehensive it's covered?" Bottom line is they're lieing. Call the Louisiana department of insurance and they'll tell you that if you give someone permission to drive your car then "they're" covered. Insurance follows the car. Matter of fact I bet more than half of insurance agents don't list their teenage drivers.

We list all drivers in the household to make sure premium is being charged because more than likely they will have access to the vehicle and drive said vehicle. MVR's are run on all drivers in the household to make sure we aren't getting on a risk that can cost us $$$. Right, insurance companies aren't in business to lose money so they try to do their homework ahead of time since they normally can't get off bad business after the fact. Loan your car to anyone but the ding is on you and could possibly be a life changing event if You don't have enough liability coverage, you will be named in the lawsuit.
Failure to list some drivers (YOUT's) can and does happen all the time. Some get away with it and never get caught but if you do, expect the company to calculate the premiums that would have been paid up until the accident occurred and offer to take care of the claim if you pay the back premium or walk alone.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:24 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 599

Boy, did I open a can of worms! Lol
Old 01-31-2014, 07:00 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
You should send this thread to your agent and let him dissect it for you, I am sure y'all can get it sorted out quick,fast and in a hurry.
Your perception regarding UM/UMPD is common so don't take my post as brow beating you. If an agent can't explain what he sells he shouldn't be in business.
Ask him if you have towing both on the water and highway with no deductible, pollution coverage, personal effects, $25,000 med pay, tournament liability, vanishing deductible and agreed value?
thanks, as an agent you know how things are often said with the implied understanding that its from a standpoint of the insurers liability and not about covering other people so when I talk about coverage im not implying anyone other then me has the coverage and when I say it covers others, its only about my liability as far as them making a claim against me.

EDIT:
BTW I have a home, auto, multi car, boat bundle and its all wound into each other so that must be where things got fuzzy but he did say I was covered on the water just like in my car

Last edited by keakar; 01-31-2014 at 07:22 PM.