SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Hobby Forums > The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes)

The Roux (Cooking/BBQ/Recipes) What good is a cajun site without a cooking and recipe forum?

Old 02-06-2014, 12:34 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,385
Default Not My Usual Method For Gumbo But, Damn Good!

For a good while now I have been seeing Bailey's "Cajun Creole Roux Mix" at Bailey's Andouille in Laplace and in supermarkets locally.
http://baileyscajuncreolemix.com/

Well, last week while at Bailey's I decided to pick up a box and give it a try just to see if it was any good. Usually I make my gumbos from scratch and always they were better than taking any short cuts.
So Tuesday I decided to give it a try. I cooked it Tuesday evening to have for dinner last night. I went the "cheating" route with the chicken by buying a roasted chicken from Costco and deboned it instead of using fresh chicken. The box contains a seasoning packet(all necessary dry seasonings), a spice packet and packet of dry roux and this is everything except for the sausage and meat you need according to the directions. Of course I just had to add my own lil spin by using one medium diced onion about half a bell pepper diced and two ribs of celery sliced up thin.
Meats were the roasted chicken deboned with the juices from the container, a lil over a pound of Bailey's andouille and two nice pieces of Bailey's tasso roughly diced.
Following the directions on the box and a few splashes of Tabasco I cooked the gumbo. I was absolutey amazed at how good this gumbo came out. Everyone here loved it!!!

I let it cool down some and stuck it in the fridge until late yesterday afternoon and warmed it up for dinner.
I also baked some sweet potatoes and made some biscuits for the rest of the meal.

(No pics of the biscuits)
Bowl of Chicken Andouille Gumbo

Bottom line here is that if you want a really good gumbo but don't want to fuss with the whole homemad process you could do what I did here and enjoy a fantastic gumbo. This is actually a hundred times better than what some restaurants serve and much easier I'm sure.
I'll be picking up another box or two next time I see it.
Old 02-06-2014, 02:10 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,124

Growing up around Opelousas we always had sweet taters with gumbo. Now that I live on the mississippi every body here makes potato salad to plop on top tehir gumbo. Gotta say its good and if thats what tehy got I'll eat it and enjoy it, but for me its ahrd to beat a good yam in ya gumbo. It looks great dude. with all that smokey goodness from baileys in it I bet dish water would be good.:*****:
Old 02-06-2014, 02:40 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

I used the LJs mix before and it was really good. Need to put more water than what they say though or it will be too spicy.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:03 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Sweet potatoes with gumbo? Thats a new one on me. Will have to try that. Have had gumbo over potatoe salad but didnt care for it. Im not a big potatoe salad person though. Its gota have a crap load of mustard in it for me to like it. Errbody got their own thing.
Gumbo looks really great. Its nice when you can find a short cut that still puts out some good eats.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:30 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Box meal or not, if that sheet comes out of your pot I'll eat it anyway! Lol

Duckman, you haven't lived until you've had a sweet potato with gumbo!
Old 02-06-2014, 08:44 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 609

Thanks for the leg up up Sig, I'll pick some up if I see any out here in Lafayette. I've tried all the others and they suck, especially Zatarains. Oh hell yhea on the baked sweets. A mustardy tater salad scoop is great, but nothing beats a hot scoop of fluffy white rice to suck up the flavors for me.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:02 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Mustardy tator salad on the side, grab a bit on the spoon, then Scoop up the gumbo and rice.

I gotta try a sweet potatoe with it.

Great post Sig!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2014, 11:35 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 3,427

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincemacpaul View Post
Thanks for the leg up up Sig, I'll pick some up if I see any out here in Lafayette. I've tried all the others and they suck, especially Zatarains. Oh hell yhea on the baked sweets. A mustardy tater salad scoop is great, but nothing beats a hot scoop of fluffy white rice to suck up the flavors for me.

I've used the LJs it comes in a green box. It's pretty good, most Rouses have them. Just brown an onion and you sausage and then follow the box directions. I also throw in a rotisserie chicken deboned.

I'll try the Baileys next.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:20 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
Box meal or not, if that sheet comes out of your pot I'll eat it anyway! Lol

Duckman, you haven't lived until you've had a sweet potato with gumbo!
I will have to try it Matt. Havent made a gumbo in a long time. Time to bust out my roux spoon now.
Old 02-07-2014, 03:21 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 918

You might be a yanky if you make gumbo from a box. Looks good tho