Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 02-26-2014, 07:45 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852
Default the difference between trolling motors

Question #1 -

what is the difference in the varimax vs the digital trolling motors and is it worth paying what I see as an average of $200 more just for the digital?

Question #2 -

I would also like your opinions on min kota brand vs motorguide as far as for saltwater usage in bow mounted hand controlled 70-80 lb. versions @ 24v.

I realize everyone has their favorite brands from past experiences but things change and so does reliability as newer models come out. im interested in what the popular opinions are at this time.

thank you
Old 02-26-2014, 09:09 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,657

Minn Kota shafts are fiberglass and do not bend. Motor guide has Steele shafts...they bend.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:29 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 713

I have fished with a Motor Guide 82# thrust digital since they came out, probably 7+ years. I changed plastic props every year since I bought it, till I bought an aluminum prop. To give you an idea, my outboard is an 02 or 03 model, it has 2000 hours on it. That data was pulled from the ecm last October. Over 2000 hours, hit the 6250rpm rev limiter 392 times and went into Guardian because of overheat 192 times. I fish some nasty marsh. I have not changed a single part on this trolling motor except for the prop. This is the best unit I have ever owned and I have owned a few. This is from experience, not word of someone else's mouth.
D
Old 02-26-2014, 09:31 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,749

Ive had and worked on both. Ive had 3-4 of each brand. Ive had problems with both and from what ive found the motorguide was easier to work on. The newer minnkota's seem to be a bit better in all honesty. Out of both I would say Ive averaged less problems out of the minnkota.

Sent from an Apple Tree..
Old 02-26-2014, 10:26 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 3,710

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunChristian View Post
I have fished with a Motor Guide 82# thrust digital since they came out, probably 7+ years. I changed plastic props every year since I bought it, till I bought an aluminum prop. To give you an idea, my outboard is an 02 or 03 model, it has 2000 hours on it. That data was pulled from the ecm last October. Over 2000 hours, hit the 6250rpm rev limiter 392 times and went into Guardian because of overheat 192 times. I fish some nasty marsh. I have not changed a single part on this trolling motor except for the prop. This is the best unit I have ever owned and I have owned a few. This is from experience, not word of someone else's mouth.
D
Where did you find a aluminum prop for your TM?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Old 02-27-2014, 01:21 AM
Flounder

Cash: 511
Default aluminum prop

you had any issues with the alum prop on there ? I run a 82# as well i'm tired of buying plastic ones ,always wondered how it would do .
Old 02-27-2014, 07:38 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 713

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaman View Post
Where did you find a aluminum prop for your TM?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Ebay. They run a bit over $50.00 and worth every cent. It looks like a vegematic went through the marsh.
They must have gone up since I bought mine:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorguide-M...item565a5e5311
Danny
Old 02-27-2014, 09:35 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: -747,400

Do not get the varimax. Lot of problems wit the varimax's.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:31 PM
Red Snapper

well I formed my preference many years ago with the 30-35lb motors and found that the motorguide motors felt and pulled a heck of a lot stronger then the minnkota that seamed weak, but the minnkota had longer battery life so I chose to go with stronger power over longer battery life.

I never understood that because if its a 35lb motor then both should pull 35 lbs but I guess they fudge the classification on min-kota to get longer battery life. now I chose motorguide as my brand from then on but that's from like 15 years ago and im sure nothing is the same by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
Do not get the varimax. Lot of problems wit the varimax's.
please give more info on this? I was looking to find out more about the differences in varimax and the digitals, both good and bad for both. I have seen reports of problems with motorguides controllers but they are from 2009-2011 but nothing from anything recent so it appears they fixed that issue.

what is the difference between the varimax vs the digital trolling motors?

Last edited by keakar; 02-27-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 07:00 PM
Red Snapper

I didn't find any mention of the new motors having issues and the only reported problems I see mention nothing from anything recent since they switched to a different controller so it appears (I guess) that they fixed those issues. if someone works on these motors (trolling motor repair shop guy) hopefully someone who knows more can give more insight into the problems they might have.

more research has also confirmed minnkota does still over rate their motors so you don't get what you think you are buying so if you want the same power you need to get a 75lbs thrust minnkota to equal the same pulling power of the 70lb motorguide. I saw test results showing across the board all minnkota were actually pulling 5lbs less then what they were rated for. big whoop as far as im concerned because when you get into the higher numbers you will never notice or miss that extra 5lbs of thrust but it does show up in a noticeable difference in smaller motors like I had found out myself.

I also see lots of comments about minnkota being quieter then motorguide but im not sure what they mean since much of that talk was about the mounting brackets and control systems (auto pilot motor) and not about the actual trolling motor itself. can anyone speak to the noise level of just the motors not whats above water?
Old 02-27-2014, 09:16 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
well I formed my preference many years ago with the 30-35lb motors and found that the motorguide motors felt and pulled a heck of a lot stronger then the minnkota that seamed weak, but the minnkota had longer battery life so I chose to go with stronger power over longer battery life.

I never understood that because if its a 35lb motor then both should pull 35 lbs but I guess they fudge the classification on min-kota to get longer battery life. now I chose motorguide as my brand from then on but that's from like 15 years ago and im sure nothing is the same by now.

please give more info on this? I was looking to find out more about the differences in varimax and the digitals, both good and bad for both. I have seen reports of problems with motorguides controllers but they are from 2009-2011 but nothing from anything recent so it appears they fixed that issue.

what is the difference between the varimax vs the digital trolling motors?
I don't know the exact problem with them, but I spoke wit 5 different retailers when I bought mine in November and they all said they're having tons of problems wit the Varimax's.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:13 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunt Drag View Post
I don't know the exact problem with them, but I spoke wit 5 different retailers when I bought mine in November and they all said they're having tons of problems wit the Varimax's.
ok, thanks that's good info. I haven't seen any complaints on the web about them thou, I guess its a recent problem that's not that well known yet.

I had a varimax on my short list along with the minnkota riptide but I see a lot of complaints on minnkota shafts cracking and mount pins breaking over time (mainly the 100+ thrust models because its too much torque) and not very good customer service. I just wish I knew what the problem is with the varimax, if its a simple switch or control board I could live with that but they cost too much money to risk a major issue that needs to keep going into the shop over.

which minnkota did you buy and did you ever hear anything bad about the great whites? they are digital unlike the varimax?

I get frustrated looking at riptides because they have like 6 letters behind the motor model number and nothing is explained clearly what the heck is the difference in this motor or that motor, why cant they just list in the description whay all those tag letters stand for so it makes sense?

Last edited by keakar; 02-27-2014 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:36 PM
Red Snapper

I bought a motorguide great white 84lb. Haven't had a chance to put through a real test though.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:01 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,460

I like my minn kota. I did have a shaft crack but one call and they set me up with a new one I had to pay labor. Coast me 40bucks. Considering the motor is 6yrs old I thought wasn't bad.
It's a riptide 80#

I had a great white before this one and I liked it too but when it went out it was only 3 yrs old.
Old 02-28-2014, 06:34 PM
Red Snapper

well I pulled the trigger and got the MotorGuide Great White sw82 HB 50" shaft bow mount hand control

found what I think was a great deal for it at $900 even and free shipping

I also got the ProSport 8 Gen 3 onboard 8 amp 2 bank charger for $90 since I hadn't thought about how to recharge the two batteries I will now have and one charger would take forever and not be practical for fishing two days in a row.

one question did come up though, do I need heavier wires and batteries or just stick with the 10 guage I have now and get another everstart 27 battery from wallyworld? I ask because I saw somewhere on another forum they were talking about using number 6 wires and getting the #31 batteries for a trolling 24v motor. take note that my batteries will be in the forward deck storage so they are within 3 feet of the motor and I don't need to run power across the full length of the boat to get to the motor.

I had just assumed it was fine to use the same wires and plugs that were good for 12v would also be fine for the 24v motors

Last edited by keakar; 02-28-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:37 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 748

I've used all MinnKota up until this boat I have now which it has a 35v Motorguude Great White. Let's just say I want my Minn Kota back.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:09 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 460

I've had my motor guide great white since '04 and put thru hell. Still kickin fine. No problems what so ever. Can speak for min. Kota. Never owned one.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:43 AM
Great White

Cash: 2,738

They both have there ups and downs. Motorguide with the stainless steel shaft will allow you to keep fishing if you hit something hard with it. But the motorguides are louder and not as good in thick grass as minnkota. Minnkota is a good quiet motor that works great in the grass. If you hit something hard with the minnkota the shaft will crack/shatter and mess up your day. I prefer the minnkota though,they seem to run longer with the digital maximizer vs. motorguide.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:08 PM
Redfish

Cash: 730

Anybody have Minn Kota's new 112 riptide? Have not heard much about them yet.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:11 PM
Flounder

Cash: 434
Wink

minn kota enough said!!!!!