SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 04-14-2014, 08:40 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090
Default Trolling motor wire connectors?

Installing new trolling motor plug. How is everyone connecting the smaller gauge plug wires (10 gauge) to the heavier gauge wires (6 gauge) from the batteries? Is there a such thing as a reducing connector to adapt from one wire size to another?
Thanks
Old 04-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

for the boat plug outlet to the battery wires I use this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Blackburn...B2-5/100165861

makes a 100% solid bond
Old 04-14-2014, 11:17 AM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by keakar View Post
for the boat plug outlet to the battery wires I use this: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Blackburn...B2-5/100165861

makes a 100% solid bond
Looks great but is it ok to use on stranded wire?
Old 04-14-2014, 07:39 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,364

i don't use a plug---hard wired-----0 problems.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:55 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth move View Post
i don't use a plug---hard wired-----0 problems.
I understand and agree but this is on a hunting boat where the trolling motor will be removed during duck season. Besides, in your scenario, there is still a splice that needs to me made. How do you do it?
Old 04-14-2014, 08:23 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:

makes a 100% solid bond
That is what I used on my TM. I don't take it off the boat.

On my new boat, the Trolling motor plug lasted about a year before it stopped making connection.

I would install this type clamp, and just take it apart to remove the TM.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:48 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,128

This is what I used . Mounted it on the front of my trolling motor bracket . Only two screws to remove ... I figured once or twice a year would not be an issue . Trolling motor is mounted on quick release . No plug to worry about
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (37.5 KB, 117 views)
Old 04-14-2014, 09:53 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,128

If your going to butt splice them , just strip the smaller wire a little longer and fold it over in half this will take up the extra space in a connector that is made to fit the bigger wire .
Old 04-14-2014, 11:01 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
Looks great but is it ok to use on stranded wire?
yep it says solid but stranded works fine as well I find it gets a better bond if the smaller wire is on the bottom side and the larger wire is on the top side where the nut is. after connecting I wrap the heck out of it with electrical tape to stop and corrosion as well as cushion it from rattling against something.

I connect the wires to a trolling motor plug socket for connecting to the boat and for the trolling motor side those wires are #8 wire just like the trolling motor plug wires are so I use a heavy duty butt connector to join those together for the plug end that fits the socket and then tape them good. see them here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Wire-Trolling-Motor-Plug-and-Socket-Set-for-Boats-8-Gauge-Wire-/130582523454?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=i tem1e67532e3e&vxp=mtr
Old 04-15-2014, 06:23 AM
Ling

Cash: 4,851

Quote:
yep it says solid but stranded works fine as well I find it gets a better bond if the smaller wire is on the bottom side and the larger wire is on the top side where the nut is. after connecting I wrap the heck out of it with electrical tape to stop and corrosion as well as cushion it from rattling against something.

I connect the wires to a trolling motor plug socket for connecting to the boat and for the trolling motor side those wires are #8 wire just like the trolling motor plug wires are so I use a heavy duty butt connector to join those together for the plug end that fits the socket and then tape them good. see them here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Wire-Troll...532e3e&vxp=mtr
Try some of this to help with corrosion. Really helps for corrosion due to dissimilar metals and has anti-seize in it in case you need to remove it.http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ideal-NOA...-026/202276208
Old 04-15-2014, 09:22 AM
Redfish

Cash: 829

When I install the 3 prong trolling motor plugs I drill an 3/16" hole through the side of the socket hole. I also spray Corrosion X on the prongs. Any water that gets into the socket will drain out.

I use butt connectors to connect the wires. Once crimped I fill the butt connectors with Liquid Tape and let it dry then wrap it in electrical tape. I like Shaun's idea of using the NOALOX anti-oxidant compound on the wires before crimping.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:28 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 713

I have used these for nearly 20 years. Never had a failure, never lost a connection, still have them on my trolling motor, headlights, everything that plugs in. The metal tips are soldered onto the wire you use and then the tip is inserted into the plastic housing and snaps into place. I use the grey ones, SB50's.
http://www.andersonpower.com/products/multipole-sb.html
D
Old 04-15-2014, 09:38 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,364

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural Light Kid View Post
I understand and agree but this is on a hunting boat where the trolling motor will be removed during duck season. Besides, in your scenario, there is still a splice that needs to me made. How do you do it?
i put heavy duty eyes on the wires and bolt them together, then tape the s*** out of em. when i need to remove motor(seldom) i remove tape and unbolt.
when i used plugs, it was always the plug itself that failed. ALWAYS put a breaker in the line.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:00 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,578

Y not just use a high quality marine co plug and receptacle? Ive never had issues with them.
Old 04-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,059

Loose the plug. Solder, shrink rap and cover in 3m 5200. Motor will die before the connection corrodes
Old 04-15-2014, 03:28 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayouchub View Post
Y not just use a high quality marine co plug and receptacle? Ive never had issues with them.
agreed, Ive never had issues with them either and my boat sits outside uncovered in the weather 24/7 and after 12 years it still worked fine when I sold it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROWN FIN View Post
Loose the plug. Solder, shrink rap and cover in 3m 5200. Motor will die before the connection corrodes
not everyone lives in a secure area or has the ability to put the boat in an enclosed locked garage so most people need to remove the trolling motor and store it inside to prevent theft and only a plug type connection will work for them.