SaltyCajun.com http://www.mkacpas.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 05-15-2014, 08:16 PM
Redfish

Cash: 684
Default bolt size???

Hey guys looking to see if anyone out there knows the bolt size to a 01 Yamaha 40 lower unit. So the bolts that bolt the lower unit up to the middle unit. I believe there are four.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:50 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 758

I have a 96 and its M8-1.25 x 30 with 12mm head...not sure if they changed
Old 05-15-2014, 09:00 PM
Redfish

Ok. Thanks budndawn. I would think there the same. I know the units are different. But I wouldn't think they changed the bolt size. Hey how you like that yami? This is my first one. They say there pretty good
Old 05-15-2014, 09:02 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 758

Its been a great motor.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:02 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,414

Run a search online at the schematics diagrams Yamaha web site has good info in the parts section. Too bad I didn't see this earlier I changed my impeller and thermostat today on an 07 50hp. I could of helped you out
Old 05-15-2014, 11:06 PM
Tripletail

By the way make sure you change your thermostat. I had corrosion on mine and gunk in the cavity. I had to use a dremel to clean the passage. Lucky no corrosion in the water passage. A mechanic told me that the thermostats on yamahas corrode and wont operate efficient.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:46 PM
Redfish

Thanks saute86. Yea just bought it today. Got it on my motor mount. Going threw everything tomorrow. This particular motor never been in salt water so not noticing any corrosion are rust
Old 05-15-2014, 11:56 PM
Tripletail

I would still change the stat. I run in fresh a lot more than salt. When I do I flush it good too. The mechanic said that the thermostats in a Yamaha just corrode and stick. You going to like that motor.
Old 05-16-2014, 12:22 AM
Redfish

Hope so. Always ran merc or Suzuki. This motor going on the back of a 15x48 allweld. Should push it along pretty good
Old 05-16-2014, 11:43 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 713

Good place to start:
http://www.crowleymarine.com/parts.cfm
Old 05-16-2014, 11:48 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

had a stat stick on my Suzuki once from sitting up, its made of stainless steel and has no rubber other then the outer ring seal so its all metal and nothing to go bad unless the spring breaks. I scrapped the crud off the shaft and sprayed it good with wd40 and its still working great 5 years later.

at $80-$100 for a thermostat I say take it out and clean it checking for free movement and if its all made of metal with no plastic or rubber parts and nothing is broken then IMO you don't need to replace it just for the heck of it unless you are having temperature issues with the motor.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:23 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,354

Quote:
Originally Posted by saute86 View Post
By the way make sure you change your thermostat. I had corrosion on mine and gunk in the cavity. I had to use a dremel to clean the passage. Lucky no corrosion in the water passage. A mechanic told me that the thermostats on yamahas corrode and wont operate efficient.
Speaking of gunk in the cavity. I have an '08 70. my overheat buzzer went off and as long as it wasn't run above half throttle it was ok. . Everytime i opened it up it overheated.
I pulled the thermostat and it was full of green slime and GUNK. Cleaned it all out and same problem. Replaced impeller which didn't look bad and same problem. Figured well its time for the worst and pulled the head and BINGO , the flaw in a yammy. The water jacket in the block was almost plugged and the inlet to the head is only about a 5/16 inch hole in the head gasket that evidently doesn't let enough water pressure through to keep it flushed out. The senser for the temp is in the head so thats what was overheating at full throttle. I scraped and cleaned the block and scraped the crud off the head and when i got to the last part low and behold a pit from inner head to spark plug threads.......Back to dealer for new head. Other than that yammy's served me well . It just seems they would have more pressure through head so you wouldn't have this problem. And the water coming thru pee hole is just to tell you that your pump is working not that its going thru block or head.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:58 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

ya know it seams like every brand of motor has the same issue of crud buildup in the head cavities so it amazing to me that by now they never made an access cover you can remove to clear out any build up. the water jackets are not super high pressure so there is no reason the head or block cant be cast with an access opening and removable cover.

but then we wouldn't burn up motors as fast and buy new ones, that explains it all $$$$$$