SaltyCajun.com http://www.jerrys-marine.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Boating Talk

Boating Talk For discussion of everything related to boats and motors

Old 07-03-2014, 01:55 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 521
Default Xpress Shallow Water Bay 20'

Anyone have any knowledge of this type of hull from Xpress? I am going to pull the trigger next March on a new Xpress and I am looking for people who own them or who have ridden in them. I am also considering the Hyperlift hull in the 20' boat. Just wanted to know how the float pods and tunnel hull ride maybe compared to the Hyperlift style. Just wanted to know what to expect and look for before the test rides.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

I had a 19' Xpress bass boat with Hyperlift hull and it road good. The Hyperlift hulls will ride better in rough water but draft more if you get shallow so it's a trade off for which you need the boat to do..... have you looked at the Excel Bay boats? They look good and seem very well built
Old 07-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 521

Since we moved to northeast Florida I haven't seen a Excel other than here on the web. We do return annually to Cocodrie for fishing and I like the aluminum for the type of fishing I do but the Shallow water bay is also a thinner aluminum. I am trying to get the local rep to water test both boats soon so I can make my decision.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:36 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 3,763

I bought an Excel FX4 at in Baton Rouge at Boats Unlimited. They also had Excel bayboats and Express. You could compare them side by side.
Old 07-04-2014, 05:17 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 2,464

Quote:
Originally Posted by I make oil View Post
I bought an Excel FX4 at in Baton Rouge at Boats Unlimited. They also had Excel bayboats and Express. You could compare them side by side.
How do you like your Excel? I have never ridden in one but I like the way they look.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:01 AM
Red Snapper

I like it. It's a good layout. I have a Prodrive on it which is really not a good fit for the hull. It's desinged for a Mudbuddy. A Gator tail would likely be good on it. The short handle on the Prodive and the hunt deck are not ideal. Also, I don't like the way the power trim pump and tank are mounted due to the hunt deck. But as far as the hull I love it and the Prodrive is a beast just not the best fit together.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,090

Quote:
Originally Posted by I make oil View Post
I like it. It's a good layout. I have a Prodrive on it which is really not a good fit for the hull. It's desinged for a Mudbuddy. A Gator tail would likely be good on it. The short handle on the Prodive and the hunt deck are not ideal. Also, I don't like the way the power trim pump and tank are mounted due to the hunt deck. But as far as the hull I love it and the Prodrive is a beast just not the best fit together.
FYI, prodrive makes an extension handle that may help you out.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:10 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,439

IMO excel makes a slow heavy boat for a mud motor. But they make some nice bay boats.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:57 AM
Red Snapper

I looked at them but think they would just complicate the issue. What I've done is to stop using the seat and just sit on the deck when I have to do a lot of manuvering. The seat is way over on the right side and causes me to have to stretch across alot on a hard right turn. A longer handle would just exaberate the issue. Just running around it's fine. You know how it is you just have to learn how to live with a boat.

Quackhead, my boat with a 36 Prodrive runs around 29/30 MPH with me and my son. When the boat is loaded down in deep water it slows but so would any boat. How much performance would you expect from a boat with a mud motor? I've owned 5 or 6 differnt mud motor/boat combo's and this one is right up there with the best I've had as far as performance. The best part about it is the way it's laid out it's not a one trick pony. I use this boat for all of my fresh water activities other than pulling a skier or tube. Not just hunting or playing in mud.
Old 07-05-2014, 01:00 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,439

I have ran a lot myself and I have a lot of performance with a heavy hunting load as well in my PO boat.