SaltyCajun.com http://www.egretbaits.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:41 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393
Default Interesting article on coastal erosion

One map in her shows the coast in 2100 eroded as far north as north Delcambre. Marsh island and intracoastal are completely gone...
http://www.vox.com/2014/8/30/6084585...-last-80-years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk mmm
Old 09-02-2014, 06:54 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Marsh Island will be gone by 2050 if nothing more is done. Biggest problem out there next to hurricanes is Nutria. WLF started putting measures into place a couple years ago to control them. Hope it's enough to control them, but it won't be enough to save that island.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:57 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Can we get some white sand beaches out of the deal?
Old 09-02-2014, 07:50 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,393

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
Marsh Island will be gone by 2050 if nothing more is done. Biggest problem out there next to hurricanes is Nutria. WLF started putting measures into place a couple years ago to control them. Hope it's enough to control them, but it won't be enough to save that island.

It's a Shame. I'm interested to see the effects to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk mmm
Old 09-02-2014, 09:22 PM
Flounder

Cash: 671

Looked over the article, Interesting! Watch "the history of dredging". Plays on the history channel. The one point California dredges San Francisco bay year round, and has made many miles with the spoils. Here in Louisiana the mighty Mississippi is also dredged year round! Where are the spoils going? On private property so people can sell river sand, and off the continental shelf! Well that's what I got out of the show. Was very informative and interesting . Watch and be the judge! I think they could use spoils to build back our barrier island with mound behind them. The combined action would slow salt water intrusion. Then we could work and restore some of our lost marshes. Just sayin thanks for reading! What's your take or opinion. I love our paradise and don't want to lose any more. God bles you and the great state of Louisiana!
Old 09-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

I've seen it and am with you!

I liked the accidental spoil mound that grew vegetation and survived the storm while other land disappeared.

Being I. The tug and barge industry and sitting in on CoE and coast guard meetings, I can tell you that the spoils are in fact dumped off the shelf. Not sure the validity if the rest of the show though. I do know they aren't creating a bunch of land...

Other countries are making inhabitable islands while we complain about coastal erosion and dump land into the ocean....
Old 09-03-2014, 01:44 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Yeah its really a shame how there seems to be so much that is in the works, but so little is being done where it could be. Like the Corps just dumping sediments outside of the ship channel in Cameron. That could be used.

Putting money into those ridiculous storm levees around Lake Charles and other areas is a waste too. Let's dump millions into levees instead of doing something that will actually do good. Instead of turning every major city into another New Orleans, do some actual good.