SaltyCajun.com http://www.ccastar.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:53 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607
Eek Snakes in House Attic

My dad is remodeling my grandmother's house, which is about 40-50 years old. My grandmother passed away last year so he has spent the last 6 months getting it ready to be rented (if anyone is interested in renting a ~3,000 square foot house on 6 areas of land with the nearest house more than 300 yards away in Milton let me know. all new appliances and a lot of remodel work doNe. House is in the country in Milton.)

Anyway, I was crawling around the attic Dropping RG6 cable lines in each room for him, on my knees and elbows all up in the insulation, when I noticed a 5' long snake skin. Scared the **** out of me!

I started looking closer and could see where snakes were burrowing through the insulation to get under AC unit In attic. There were snake scales built up around perfectly round holes in insulation where the snakes were crawling Under AC unit.

I finished the job of dropping cables but I was pretty scared **** less each step that I took up there.

Has anyone else ever heard of snakes living in attics?

How do you recommend we get rid of these snakes that have made the attic home?

Poison?

Moth balls?

I have more electrical work to do up there and would feel a hell of a lot better if I knew those ****ers were gone before I crawled my *** back up there!

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:37 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,414

We had a problem at the camp. We had to kill the green frogs to get ride of them. I think it was (row tin no). I dont know the spelling. It kills reptiles.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:55 AM
Swordfish

Cash: 556

Get rid of the food source and the snakes will leave, could be rodents they are feeding on
Old 03-15-2015, 08:41 AM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Cut your losses and burn the house. F a snake! Lol

We've had good results with Snake Away in the barn. Granted, they had an easier escape route than in the attic. That might just push them down in the house. I would just call a professional to deal with it. Especially if y'all plan to rent it. Tenant getting bit by a snake in the house would make for an interesting lawsuit.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:09 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,958

Probably rat snakes feeding on mice and rats, I'd leave em up there.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:18 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 792

good luck renting the house now
Old 03-15-2015, 09:33 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,216

Them snakes are providing free pest control. If you do catch them make sure you don't try and sell them it's frowned upon
Old 03-15-2015, 10:01 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajun bill View Post
good luck renting the house now
Yeah, mighta wanted to make that separate/unrelated posts. As far as getting rid of snakes, moth balls work if you can deal with the smell(learned the hard way-don't put too many).
Old 03-15-2015, 12:08 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 2,607

Thanks for the input guys.

No signs of rodents in the house since it has been cleaned out.

Not too worried about getting in rented, everything that gets put up for rent in that area rents pretty fast. Never have seen a snake in or even around the house.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:36 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

I'd almost rather live with snakes than moth balls
Old 03-15-2015, 02:12 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako19 View Post
My dad is remodeling my grandmother's house, which is about 40-50 years old. My grandmother passed away last year so he has spent the last 6 months getting it ready to be rented (if anyone is interested in renting a ~3,000 square foot house on 6 areas of land with the nearest house more than 300 yards away in Milton let me know. all new appliances and a lot of remodel work doNe. House is in the country in Milton.)

Anyway, I was crawling around the attic Dropping RG6 cable lines in each room for him, on my knees and elbows all up in the insulation, when I noticed a 5' long snake skin. Scared the **** out of me!

I started looking closer and could see where snakes were burrowing through the insulation to get under AC unit In attic. There were snake scales built up around perfectly round holes in insulation where the snakes were crawling Under AC unit.

I finished the job of dropping cables but I was pretty scared **** less each step that I took up there.

Has anyone else ever heard of snakes living in attics?

How do you recommend we get rid of these snakes that have made the attic home?

Poison?

Moth balls?

I have more electrical work to do up there and would feel a hell of a lot better if I knew those ****ers were gone before I crawled my *** back up there!

Thanks in advance.
DO NOT PUT POISON for the snakes or the mice because poisoned mice might kill the snake and good god, you just don't know how bad rotten decaying snake smells like (worse the road kill)

if you have snakes in the attic it is only because you have a large mouse population to support them living up there. snakes might go in the attic to shed skin then leave but they don't stay unless there is a ready food supply for them.

its amazing how and where snakes and mice get into but I once found a 4 1/2 ft rattle snake skin inside a refrigerator door while I was replacing the gasket. no matter how much I assured the lady it was gone I got a free 2 year old refrigerator and got paid for replacing the gasket on it. it took me about an hour of my time I didn't charge her for because she insisted I search the whole house for the snake before I left lol.

the snakes go under the a/c unit because its a warm dark spot and the mice come to the a/c unit to drink water so the snakes are living under the watering hole for the mice and a perfect ambush spot to catch food.

once the food source is gone the snakes will leave on their own since there is nothing in the attic for them to live on other then the mice. if they ate all the mice they may have already moved on and its a tough call weather to let the insulation stay or replace it but its better to replace it since its smelly with rodent and snake feces and all that.

it will be more then just under the a/c unit since the mice will have nests who knows where all over the attic and you should carefully check the wiring to see if they are chewing the insulation off the wires. also mice love to chew holes in the a/c ductwork and sometimes use it as roadways and places to life so there is a good chance the a/c ductwork has mouse feces in it and "should" be replaced or cleaned professionally.

have all of the insulation sucked out and vacuum up the feces left behind then have all new insulation blown in then (if its not brand new) have new a/c ducts installed and the a/c unit cleaned out in case there are dead dried up mice are in it (very common) then the house will smell fresh again and there are no "surprises" when trying to rent or even sell the place.

I suggest you get it all pulled out and vacuumed then finish all your work while its less itchy and easier to see everything, then blow in new insulation only after everything else is completed.

Last edited by keakar; 03-15-2015 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 03:12 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goooh View Post
I'd almost rather live with snakes than moth balls
uh huh
Old 03-15-2015, 06:42 PM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

Free rodent control. King snakes are purely beneficial.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:20 AM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,238

You should release some mongooses.