SaltyCajun.com http://louisianaofficesystems.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Freshwater Fishing Discussion > Freshwater Fishing Reports

Freshwater Fishing Reports Read and share fishing reports for your favorite freshwater spots here

Old 03-24-2015, 06:47 AM
Sailfish

Cash: 9,130
Default Toledo 3/23... Day late dollar short

I guess I "Should've bee there yesterday" as the phrase goes. Weekend rains had the water level a bit higher than expected. Fish were holding tight to beds that were there before the rains. Everything you would expect to see in 3-6 foot was now in 7-9 foot. Had to back off a bit to get bit and found most of the beds in the 7-9 ft range. Huge run off dirtied up most of my spawn flats in the mid lake area. Large amounts of pollen made the clear water, when i could find it, next to impossible to sight fish. Cold front had the fish lockjaw. In addition to that my father in law's boat ran like absolute SH... i . . T.

Did manage to boat a few on wacky worms. Broke off on a giant in some buck brush and lost two more that i couldnt see. Bite was very subtle and if you didnt pull the trigger quick you missed em bc they were spitting the baits quick. Big fish went 4lb. Struggles like these force me into new areas and I love every chance i get to explore.

20150323_144147.jpg
Old 03-24-2015, 08:02 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,627

Good report Eddie.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:17 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

I've had worse days Eddie. Good report. Try out a pack of these in 1/0 for your wacky rigs. Significantly increased my hook up: landing ratio with wacky rigs. Caught some pigs with these little guys. They sell them at Tid bits as well http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner...age-ORNHW.html
Old 03-24-2015, 12:20 PM
Sailfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass2mouth View Post
I've had worse days Eddie. Good report. Try out a pack of these in 1/0 for your wacky rigs. Significantly increased my hook up: landing ratio with wacky rigs. Caught some pigs with these little guys. They sell them at Tid bits as well http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner...age-ORNHW.html
Are you going with the Rig n hook worm hooks or do you use the wacky hooks??? Surely you are using weed guards?

I have been using the Falcon Lures wacky hook with the weed guard.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,043

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltERedneck View Post
Are you going with the Rig n hook worm hooks or do you use the wacky hooks??? Surely you are using weed guards?

I have been using the Falcon Lures wacky hook with the weed guard.
1/0 Rig n hook. No weed guard. Just go through the worm like you would wacky rig it and leave the hook exposed, then turn the hook and put the point back in the worm. You will rip up more worms but YOLO. lol If you throw it on spinning gear like I do, I go #20 power pro main line and about a 3' leader with #12 fluoro (I use seaguar red label - bc it's cheap). If it's really clear (and it's not lol) I'll use #10 fluoro. You get so much better hook sets with that braid man. Even on a 6'6" ML spin rig. There are a lot of different knots to connect the braid to fluoro, but the Alberto knot is the bees knees. Its easy to tie, strong, and super skinny for going through the rod eyes. I used to use the uni to uni but after a while of throwing it it would pop on a strong hook set. I blamed it on getting beat up through the eyes through out the day (it's fatter than the Alberto). Def worth a try.
Old 03-24-2015, 02:36 PM
Sailfish

hmmm. i use the o rings around my worms so i dont lose alot. but i guess losing a big fish is worth replacing an occasional senko. Will try the alberto... looks alot easier than uni to uni. Thinking about switchin to a light wire weedguard like the Gamakatsu wide gap finesse hook... Weed guard is rubber and not wire. I used to use VMC but the wires dont last.

I rig super slick braid and fluoro 15lb to my wacky on a MH quantum smoke baitcast/openface set up just so i can lay the hammer to get hook penetration. Only thing i use spincast on is my deepwater finesse tactics... shaky head and drop shot on Medium action Cumara. Just preference i guess.