SaltyCajun.com http://www.angler-products.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 06-01-2015, 02:53 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,734
Default Fishin a National Wildlife Refuge

SO the other day my son and I are fishin in a small channel just off long point lake off the main ship channel, we are winding our way back just fishing as we go, going where ever this takes us. We pass a posted sign, but the back was facing us, as we were making our way up into the channel. We got around to the other side of it and it was this sign.

I told my son, well maybe we shouldn't be in here, but it was as though we had just come through the wild life refuge. There was no sign like this on the entry where we came in the small channel, from the ship channel. So back in we went, back tracking the way we came, figured if we got stopped I could show my GPS tracks, as to how we got in, didn't want to keep forging ahead, for I didn't really know where it came out, and we entered from the ship channel, and I knew my way back. There was no other sign, I doubled check as we maneuvered back through.

Im guessing this mean NO FISHING as well? wonder how much trouble one would get in.

Here is where we were at

I found this map out lining the sabine wild life refuge, but I always see people fishing in the back channel of joes cove, as well lots of peps fishing along 27..... make ya wonder whats the deal-e-o ?

Old 06-01-2015, 03:05 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 5,633
Default !!!!

it is a wildlife refuge, there for it is our area, I would imagine it would be same rules as fishing rockafella refuge, you should be able to find some info online
Old 06-01-2015, 03:06 PM
King Mackeral

Default google

just googled it

http://www.fws.gov/refuges/profiles/...e.cfm?ID=43640
Old 06-01-2015, 03:26 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

That "Map" is not outlining Sabine NWR, its outlining the corporate limits of Hackberry. Interesting that it includes a good portion of Sabine. The map in the hunting and fishing regulations shows the boundaries of Sabine NWR:

http://www.fws.gov/swlarefugecomplex...ochure2014.pdf

It is difficult to tell, but it is likely that you were partially within the NWR during your initial trip in, and once you turned around. However, you were not doing anything illegal. There are only certain areas that boat access is not allowed:

http://www.fws.gov/southeast/pubs/SWLAcomplex_Fish.pdf
Old 06-01-2015, 03:43 PM
Redfish

Cash: 901
Thumbs up Google Earth

Marty,

Go to Google Earth and look in the layers section under "More" expand that and select "Parks/Recreation Areas". This will show you the boundary lines for the refuge. Sounds like you missed the sign on the way in or it is not there and saw one when you reentered the refuge boundary.

Good luck!
Old 06-01-2015, 04:21 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
That "Map" is not outlining Sabine NWR, its outlining the corporate limits of Hackberry. Interesting that it includes a good portion of Sabine. The map in the hunting and fishing regulations shows the boundaries of Sabine NWR:

http://www.fws.gov/swlarefugecomplex...ochure2014.pdf

It is difficult to tell, but it is likely that you were partially within the NWR during your initial trip in, and once you turned around. However, you were not doing anything illegal. There are only certain areas that boat access is not allowed:

http://www.fws.gov/southeast/pubs/SWLAcomplex_Fish.pdf
[QUOTE=fishfighter;757072]just googled it

http://www.fws.gov/refuges/profiles/recEdMore.cfm?ID=43640[/QUOTE]

thanks Smalls Thanks FF looks like I was in the clear............

[SIZE=2]Over 150 miles of refuge canals, bayous and waterways are open for recreational boating, fishing and crabbing from March 15-October 15. Boat launches are available at Hog Island Gulley and West Cove Recreation Areas along Highway 27. Both fresh and saltwater fish species may be caught on the refuge. Quality of fishing and species available vary seasonally. Recreation Areas along Highway 27 are open for fishing and crabbing year round. Castnetting for shrimp is seasonally available. Permits and special regulations apply; please contact refuge visitor center for specific information. [/SIZE]

Ill be going back then, looked good!!
Old 06-01-2015, 04:21 PM
Red Snapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duckaholic View Post
Marty,

Go to Google Earth and look in the layers section under "More" expand that and select "Parks/Recreation Areas". This will show you the boundary lines for the refuge. Sounds like you missed the sign on the way in or it is not there and saw one when you reentered the refuge boundary.

Good luck!
thanks Duck, ill mess with the GE a lil bit more
Old 06-02-2015, 02:24 AM
Redfish

Cash: 1,091

Unauthorized entry would be if you entered when the refuge is closed, Oct 15 - March 15 each year, or when our dumb *** congress has a government shutdown.
Old 06-02-2015, 06:53 AM
Redfish

Cash: 829

I had a friend that entered the refuge from West Cove. He found some nice flounder. One ofthe federal. wardens told him he couldn't fish there. The next time he looked it had a sign up. He had found the warden's private flounder hole.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:08 AM
King Mackeral

Default haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by swglenn View Post
I had a friend that entered the refuge from West Cove. He found some nice flounder. One of the federal. wardens told him he couldn't fish there. The next time he looked it had a sign up. He had found the warden's private flounder hole.

post the location on here