SaltyCajun.com http://www.acadianamarina.com//

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > General Discussion Forums > General Discussion (Everything Else)

General Discussion (Everything Else) Discuss anything that doesn't belong in any other forums here.

Old 04-18-2016, 07:54 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 4,452
Default Top Ten Weaknesses in Homeschooling

Ten. Socialization – This is not as big an issue as home schooling opponents make it out to be. The lack of socialization opportunities afforded by regular attendance of brick and mortar schools was not a big hindrance to the life and ministries of Jesus or the Apostles Peter, James, and John. It did not impede the success of Abraham Lincoln or a long list of accomplished Americans including Ansel Adams, Susan B. Anthony, Louisa May Alcott, Alexander Graham Bell, Thomas Edison, Franklin Roosevelt, Theodore Roosevelt, Michelle Kwan, Tim Tebow, Woodrow Wilson, or Laura Ingalls Wilder. Reduced socialization did not obstruct accomplishments of Europeans including Queen Elizabeth II, Ernst Mach, Erwin Schrodinger, C.S. Lewis, and Wolfgang Motzart. Yet, it must be acknowledged that home schooled students in the 21st century have less opportunities to interact with peers than students at brick and mortar schools, and there is a concomitant risk of lower social development.
Read More
Old 04-18-2016, 01:27 PM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

How is #2 a weakness? I'm confused on that.

Only one I disagree on is where you have #9. That could severely cripple a student later in life if he has inadequate knowledge in a certain area. That may not apply to you, but that's not to say someone else that is weak in math or English should be teaching their children Trigonometry or how to write a well constructed thesis statement.

I also find it slightly ridiculous to use Jesus, Peter, James, and John as examples of people who were not hindered by the "lack of socialization opportunities". You're going to compare the society of today to that of 2 millennia ago? It's completely different.

Also, Theodore Roosevelt is a rather special case, considering his family chose to home school him for medical reasons, and because they could do it; the Roosevelts were a very wealthy family. He was also an exceptionally bright child.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:03 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,003

Old 04-18-2016, 02:24 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 997

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-18-2016, 02:54 PM
Ling

Cash: 505

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd0144 View Post

I agree with this statement...
Old 04-18-2016, 08:49 PM
Red Snapper

Cash: 1,461
Default Dude Really?

Ok I'll take on #1

Soooooo your saying that homeschooling will lower the tax burden?
Lol, get in line behind sever thousand parents who pay for private education before you try that move.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:11 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Stealth View Post
Ok I'll take on #1

Soooooo your saying that homeschooling will lower the tax burden?
Lol, get in line behind sever thousand parents who pay for private education before you try that move.
Sure, both private schooling and home schooling lower the tax burden by reducing the total amount that the taxpayers need to contribute to public education. Private schooling, however, is very heavily regulated in Louisiana by the Dept of Education, required standardized testing, and government programs.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:28 AM
King Mackeral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalls View Post
How is #2 a weakness? I'm confused on that.
Two. No Immunizations Required – Most American school children have their immunizations checked and completed about the time they enroll in school.

You can think of home schooling as a loophole in the immunization requirements of most states. My wife and I have reviewed volumes of data and evidence and concluded that children are better off being immunized against the common childhood diseases for which immunizations are safe and readily available.

Quote:
Only one I disagree on is where you have #9. That could severely cripple a student later in life if he has inadequate knowledge in a certain area. That may not apply to you, but that's not to say someone else that is weak in math or English hould be teaching their children Trigonometry or how to write a well constructed thesis statement.
The common misperception here is that homeschooling parents need to or actually serve as the primary instructor for all classes and courses. Through middle and high school, most homeschooling parents outsource an increasing amount of coursework to options that are more qualified than they are, especially in math, science, and foreign languages. Of the 24 high school credits needed to graduate, our own children will average about 14 credits earned in a setting taught by a source other than a homeschooling parent.

I am planning for articles in the coming weeks describing some of the best available resources in math and science for homeschooling parents to outsource those courses. Of course, parents of public and private school students may also consider whether some of these options are better than the choices may be a better match for their children than the options at their local schools.

Quote:
I also find it slightly ridiculous to use Jesus, Peter, James, and John as examples of people who were not hindered by the "lack of socialization opportunities". You're going to compare the society of today to that of 2 millennia ago? It's completely different.
That's a fine opinion. It's up to each parent to consider the relative value of socialization and academic rigor as it pertains to their own children and the brick and mortar schools available in their own district.

Peter and John ended up travelling widely in the Roman world and needing to communicate the gospel to more languages and cultures than will likely ever be encountered by the average Louisiana public school graduate.

Quote:
Also, Theodore Roosevelt is a rather special case, considering his family chose to home school him for medical reasons, and because they could do it; the Roosevelts were a very wealthy family. He was also an exceptionally bright child.
Sure. But given the available resources of today, a family need not be wealthy to provide a very high quality home school education to their children. Even outsourcing the majority of our children's coursework, we are spending a small fraction of what Louisiana parents invest in their children's private school education or what taxpayers are paying for each student's public education. We are averaging less than $2k per year per child, and most of that is related to their science projects which are a great experience, but definitely an elective expense.
Old 04-19-2016, 07:55 AM
Ling

Cash: 2,271

i liked this site better when all we talked about was fishing.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:03 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

...and I thought all this was covered already.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:04 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,524

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd0144 View Post

X2
Old 04-19-2016, 08:04 AM
King Mackeral

Cash: 3,948

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathGeek View Post
Two. No Immunizations Required – Most American school children have their immunizations checked and completed about the time they enroll in school.

You can think of home schooling as a loophole in the immunization requirements of most states. My wife and I have reviewed volumes of data and evidence and concluded that children are better off being immunized against the common childhood diseases for which immunizations are safe and readily available.
This makes more sense now. I see your point, and agree with you on this one.

Quote:
The common misperception here is that homeschooling parents need to or actually serve as the primary instructor for all classes and courses. Through middle and high school, most homeschooling parents outsource an increasing amount of coursework to options that are more qualified than they are, especially in math, science, and foreign languages. Of the 24 high school credits needed to graduate, our own children will average about 14 credits earned in a setting taught by a source other than a homeschooling parent.

I am planning for articles in the coming weeks describing some of the best available resources in math and science for homeschooling parents to outsource those courses. Of course, parents of public and private school students may also consider whether some of these options are better than the choices may be a better match for their children than the options at their local schools.
That's all fine and dandy, but I'm sure those options cost money. What if a parent that thinks, as you do, that the public system isn't adequate, but they don't have the money to send their child to private school, and choose to home school instead? That child is likely to be inadequately educated in the same areas that the parent is inadequately educated or weak because the parent cannot afford to take advantage of those other options.

Quote:
That's a fine opinion. It's up to each parent to consider the relative value of socialization and academic rigor as it pertains to their own children and the brick and mortar schools available in their own district.

Peter and John ended up travelling widely in the Roman world and needing to communicate the gospel to more languages and cultures than will likely ever be encountered by the average Louisiana public school graduate.
All you've done is confuse me more on this point, and make your initial point even more pointless. It further proves my point that society was different 2000 years ago when Peter and John were traveling and had to "communicate the gospel to more languages and cultures than will likely ever be encountered by the average Louisiana public school graduate."

How does their evangelization relate to the life of a home school student in 2016? What home school student is traveling to "communicate the gospel" and has to know many different languages to do so?

It's an irrelevant comparison because it has no commonality. Was there even a choice between brick and mortar schools and home schooling 2000 years ago? How do we know what education the apostles had? Was the education system the same as it is today?

Quote:
Sure. But given the available resources of today, a family need not be wealthy to provide a very high quality home school education to their children. Even outsourcing the majority of our children's coursework, we are spending a small fraction of what Louisiana parents invest in their children's private school education or what taxpayers are paying for each student's public education. We are averaging less than $2k per year per child, and most of that is related to their science projects which are a great experience, but definitely an elective expense.
Cost was not really my point. The decision of Roosevelt's parents was not made even majorly because of their ability to home school him. He was a very sickly child, and home schooling was the best option. The fact that they were wealthy just made that decision easier.

The decision for Roosevelt to be home schooled was obviously different from the decision for Tim Tebow to be home schooled. Tebow was an exceptional athlete; health was not a problem. In fact, the Tebows' decision to home school was based on the desire to instill Christian values in their children.

My point is, just because a few famous people were home schooled doesn't mean anything. Each person makes that choice for a different reason. They didn't become famous or successful solely because they were home schooled. That is purely anecdotal evidence for why home schooling is successful, but there is no way to prove that they became who they were because of home schooling.

No doubt, they are good examples of home school successes, but I feel we are going to have to agree to disagree as to the significance of home schooling to who these people were. I mean, let's face it, Tebow's fame has little to do with him being home schooled. He was a Heisman Trophy winning Quarterback and 2-time National Champion at the University of Florida. None of that had anything to do with his home schooling, because he wasn't taught how to be a great QB in home school. Hell, he played at a public school.
Old 04-19-2016, 08:58 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

#1 reason not to home school

Vacation from kids for few hours a day
Old 04-19-2016, 11:49 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 4,409

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeff31787 View Post
i liked this site better when all we talked about was fishing.

Boom!
Old 04-19-2016, 01:49 PM
Trophy Trout

Cash: 1,003

#1 reason not to home school- no need for self validation. For example, you won't feel compelled to drown fishing forums with posts about home schooling.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:17 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 7,266

Old 04-19-2016, 05:27 PM
Swordfish

Default Top Ten Weaknesses in Homeschooling

Touts homeschooling advantage of not vaccinating, but eats scaleless bottom feeding fish from the outflow of America's taint.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:30 PM
Swordfish

Touts homeschooling advantage of reducing tax burden, household income comes from teaching at public universities and tax funded research projects.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:59 PM
Ling

Cash: 3,542

Roll call.... Who here attended a public school and considers themself successful? My hand is up.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:12 PM
Swordfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt G View Post
Roll call.... Who here attended a public school and considers themself successful? My hand is up.

But do you know the joy of practicing academic rigor? Of going to school for 37 years straight only to die before you get to live? Of educating yourself beyond the point of being able to recognize "ordinary" folks as actual people?

I think not my friend.