SaltyCajun.com http://www.gator-tail.com/

Notices

Go Back   SaltyCajun.com > Fishing Talk > Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion

Inshore Saltwater Fishing Discussion Discuss inshore fishing, tackle, and tactics here!

LMC Marine

Old 07-09-2015, 12:01 PM
Sand Trout

Cash: 662
Default Shimano not supporting warranty.

A friend of mine has several Shimano Cantar rod that has "lifetime warranty", even stated on handle of rod. He brought it back in to Lake Charles Tackle to get replaced and they told him Shimano is no longer supporting the warranty. He contacted Shimano and they said to cut rod in half and send. He did and Shimano said it looked like an abuse of usage but there are no marks on the rod. Any one have problems or any answers, thanks in advance.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:04 PM
Swordfish

Cash: 10,192

I could be wrong, but I believe it was around the time that they lost their azz from the tsunami that they stopped doing the rod warranty. By Dad broke a convergence rod over the weeked and we had this same conversation.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:15 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,578

They can usually look at the rod and tell if it was broken from abuse or a blank defect.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:28 PM
Redfish

Cash: 692

I think they stopped warranty for rods about a year or two ago. I agree. It was mostly asshats that purposely broke their rods at the end of the season so they could get new rods for the next year. Just about every big manufacturer was getting their butts kicked by the life time warranty.

Gone are the days of life time rod warranties. I can't say I blame them.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:33 PM
Tripletail

Cash: 2,578

I just had a rod replaced by shimano this week but it was broken with a fish on. (Not high sticking)
Old 07-09-2015, 03:48 PM
Sand Trout

With his it was the first 2 eyes that broke with a fish on, end gave it up and second one followed. I do understand though a company's problem with idiots and low lives breaking the rod just to start the next year off with a new one. I guess the good have to pay for the bad. Thanks for the info.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:26 PM
Redfish

Cash: 581

I've got one that I need to send back because an eye is broken. When I talked to them, they said it would void the warranty if I cut it in half to send it back. They said to find a seven foot long box, even though they are just going to throw the thing away when they get it. It's not too helpful.
Old 07-09-2015, 07:54 PM
Sand Trout

Yea, I did not understand the cutting it in half either, nor did he but he did what he was told. Good luck with your return, I hope you have better luck than he did.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:25 AM
Sand Trout

Cash: 489

Quote:
Originally Posted by legallimits View Post
I've got one that I need to send back because an eye is broken. When I talked to them, they said it would void the warranty if I cut it in half to send it back. They said to find a seven foot long box, even though they are just going to throw the thing away when they get it. It's not too helpful.
if you do send it back to shimano with a broken eye they will not warranty it. the warranty only covers a broken blank. if it is a broken eye, don't spend 25$ on shipping and wait 3-4 weeks go to lake charles tackle spend 12$ and get your eye replaced in a few days
Old 07-13-2015, 10:58 AM
Catch fish in DA face!!

Cash: 7,829

Why I use Waterloo Rods !! Worst case cost me $50 to replace and if it was broke because of blank they will replace it

I'm 100% always honest with them so I usually only break rods because of my own faults or customer
Old 07-13-2015, 11:18 AM
Tripletail

Cash: 1,212

Just buy your rods from Academy and you can return them for a replacement. I have brought 3 rods back to them on different occasions that were broken and they took them back with no problems and let me get another of equal or lesser value. At least one I didn't even have the receipt. They have a chart in the computer system and can look up the rod's value. It works for me.
Old 07-13-2015, 11:51 AM
Red Snapper

Cash: 2,563

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl8200 View Post
Just buy your rods from Academy and you can return them for a replacement. I have brought 3 rods back to them on different occasions that were broken and they took them back with no problems and let me get another of equal or lesser value. At least one I didn't even have the receipt. They have a chart in the computer system and can look up the rod's value. It works for me.

I did that once and he manager looked at me like I was insane or something! He wouldn't exchange it.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:53 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 5,200

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
I did that once and he manager looked at me like I was insane or something! He wouldn't exchange it.
X2, said they didn't carry that model anymore (Falcon Bucco) offered me $0.99. Told him to keep it
Old 07-13-2015, 10:40 PM
Sailfish

Cash: 4,182

Quote:
Originally Posted by redaddiction View Post
I had the same experience about 4 years ago when I took a rod back [with receipt from a few months earlier]. The rod had broken while fishing.... not abused.

I have not bought another rod from Academy since.
Old 07-14-2015, 09:54 AM
Flounder

Cash: 616

Academy will exchange/replace a H2O rod. That's Academy's brand. I switched over to H20's when I heard that Shimano stopped with the warranty. I've brought back one that the end broke off with no problems.